Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - Playoffs Edition  (Read 13122 times)

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - Playoffs Edition
« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
Kapanen is having a tough series.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
I absolutely love that Connor Brown stepped up when it mattered most.  This is a player who's been doubted at every level he's ever played.  Leafs fans fell in love with the guy last year, but this year some doubts creeped back in.  There have been complaints about his play throughout the season, but once again Brown Cow steps up and shows he can play.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 24, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
Trouble scoring but he's played well. He's cancelled quite a few icings with his speed and I think overall he's had more quality chances to score then any other Leaf. I think he's hit 4 posts? Unfortunately for him he was playing with Bozak and JVR. Hardly speedsters and probably our worst 5 v 5 forwards. Hopefully he can bury one in game 7.
As for struggling players, I'd say Dermott seems overwhelmed out there at times and is struggling the most. It's not easy being a rookie D man. Great learning experience for him tho.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 24, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »

I'll go with that cliche that it's better to have a player getting a ton of chances and not scoring then to not notice him at all cause he's not getting any shots whatsoever.  I think he'll score, it's just a matter of time.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 24, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
Here's a fun story:  I was watching the game about 15 minutes behind time because I paused it to help put my little girl to bed.  Unbeknownst to me, my wife set up recording shows at 10pm.

So the F'ing TV thing goes live to The National at 10pm, immediately wiping out the last 15 minutes of the game.  There was nothing, absolutely nothing, I could do.  So I login here to make sure they held on...I was very happy to see that they did, but super pissed about missing the final part of the 3rd.

So anyways, can someone tell me what Brown did, and what Plekanec did (other than score, which I obviously didn't see) to impress us so much?  What did I miss?

You can login to now.sportsnet.com and watch the entire game, although I'm not sure how long it takes to show up. Quick I think. You just need to login through your cable provider. That's how I saw the last 15 min of Game 5. I didn't miss it because I was putting the kids to bed but because I was watching through my fingers live and wanted an unobstructed view later.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 24, 2018, 02:32:57 PM »
I absolutely love that Connor Brown stepped up when it mattered most.  This is a player who's been doubted at every level he's ever played.  Leafs fans fell in love with the guy last year, but this year some doubts creeped back in.  There have been complaints about his play throughout the season, but once again Brown Cow steps up and shows he can play.
Brown has mostly played with JVR and Bozak this season. They're probably the 2 hardest players to play with 5 v 5. Very weak defensively. Brown is a tireless worker and they're going to need him next game because you know, Bergeron is going against the Matthews line so if they can hold serve against them, we have a good chance of winning. I like Brown.

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 24, 2018, 02:33:00 PM »

I'll take his scoring struggles but sound defense over some of the other struggles we have seen with other 4th line players (Komarov).

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 24, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »

I'll take his scoring struggles but sound defense over some of the other struggles we have seen with other 4th line players (Komarov).
Definitely.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 24, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »

Was it last night that he blew a tire in the DZ and gave it away?

Anyways, between him and Dermott, the playoff nerves of some of these young players might be a factor.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 24, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
Brown has mostly played with JVR and Bozak this season. They're probably the 2 hardest players to play with 5 v 5. Very weak defensively. Brown is a tireless worker and they're going to need him next game because you know, Bergeron is going against the Matthews line so if they can hold serve against them, we have a good chance of winning. I like Brown.

I really think this has hampered Brown most of the season, just as it hampered Marner when he was on that line this year. I think we'll see a nice rebound season from him next year when (please God) Bozak is gone or, at least, retained as no more than a 4th line center at a significantly reduced price and Brown is somewhere on the top 9.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 24, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

Was it last night that he blew a tire in the DZ and gave it away?

Anyways, between him and Dermott, the playoff nerves of some of these young players might be a factor.
Yes it was last night he blew a tire. While it didn't end up costing us, Kaps doesn't make a lot of costly mistakes out there. Pretty dependable player. Same as Johnsson. No one is mistake free.
Dermott to me, is the only Leaf looking overwhelmed out there. He is clearly struggling at times,

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 24, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
Johnsson is just flying out there.  I would be shocked if Babcock pulls him out so Komarov can play.  And if Johnsson continues playing like this, Komarov may be used sparingly going forward, if at all, unless there is an injury.

So many talented young players keep coming out of nowhere.  It's really amazing to watch.  It's just going to keep happening also.  I think next season this team is going to be even better.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
Johnsson is just flying out there.  I would be shocked if Babcock pulls him out so Komarov can play.  And if Johnsson continues playing like this, Komarov may be used sparingly going forward, if at all, unless there is an injury.

So many talented young players keep coming out of nowhere.  It's really amazing to watch.  It's just going to keep happening also.  I think next season this team is going to be even better.
Gord Miller was talking about that today...Take out JVR, Bozak, Leo and Polak, he thinks the Leafs will be at least even only using players from within. Says no way they'll be worse. The team is going to get better and better. They all also agreed that Leo can't go in tomorrow night. Johnsson proves every game he's an NHL player and a better option.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 24, 2018, 09:33:50 PM »
Stop the Leo talk. There's no way Babcock puts him in short of an injury to two forwards (Moore would go in before Komarov). Babcock would look like an idiot if he took out a healthy a Johnsson for Leo

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 25, 2018, 01:05:44 AM »
Trouble scoring but he's played well. He's cancelled quite a few icings with his speed and I think overall he's had more quality chances to score then any other Leaf. I think he's hit 4 posts? Unfortunately for him he was playing with Bozak and JVR. Hardly speedsters and probably our worst 5 v 5 forwards. Hopefully he can bury one in game 7.

Agreed with this, and especially the point on icings. Watching all the defensive zone face-offs against the Bergeron line is really the most stressful and unpleasant part of the series. Fewer of those they have to face the better.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #359 on: April 25, 2018, 01:05:44 AM »