Author Topic: Ontario Election 2018  (Read 10520 times)

Online louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
Re: Ontario Election 2018
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
P.S: I think the Ontario election may warrant it's own thread, yeah?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »
Ford has a realistic shot, though - especially with his courting the evangelical Ontarians, who are incredibly disenfranchised and very mobilized right now (6,000 new PC party members registered through the "Right to Life" group for the leadership vote - almost all overwhelmingly for Ford).

This is the part of the picture I have a way too up-close-and-personal view of, and it, again, is very Trumpian/Handmaid's Tale. It doesn't help that the federal Liberals make them feel that disenfranchisement all the more starkly.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
I'd like to think I'm above dirty politics, but I am kind of hoping someone makes #DrugFord a thing. Perhaps a Freudian-slip on the teleprompter at a debate.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »
Well, that throws a bit of a wrench into the upcoming election. Who is hated most/least?

Is that Andrea Horwath's music, or no?

To win the election? I don't think the NDP has a shot, no. To be "king maker," so-to-speak? Seems like a highly likely outcome. I think we probably see a minority government come out of the election (I felt it would possibly lean that way before, now I think it's by far the most likely outcome), and who ends up premier will ultimately rest on whether or not a coalition can be formed.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 06:04:49 PM »
Looks like it's folks folks FOLKS FOLKS against the downtown elite.

I can't believe a Ford is still in the middle of political discourse in this province. You would have thought that the death of the crack mayor would have put an end to their reign. But here we go with his crack dealer brother, polling in majority territory. Yikes.

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
I honestly don't know what I doing at this point.  We are in the middle of a binding arbitration battle with the Liberals and the offer they put on the table was downright insulting.  There were still a few Liberal supporters in our ranks but they pretty much pissed that one away.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 09:14:36 PM »
I am a life long Liberal supporter but the current Liberal government is completely corrupt. Christine Elliot would have a made an easy decision to switch. Doug Ford is going to make this an uphill battle for the Conservatives.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »

I'm neither a PC or Liberal voter but I will take relatively benign corruption over sheer lunacy.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 12:03:02 PM »
Trying to comprehend Ontario stat holiday pay.

This is the simplest explanation of the new calculation:
"The simplified formula means that employees are entitled to their average regular daily wage"

The formula is: (Amount earned during last pay period) divided by (number of days worked in last pay period)

2 employees same company, same pay period.
Employee A: works 10 days a total of 76 hours at $15/hr earns = $1,140
Employee B: works 1 day a total of 8 hours at $15/hr earns = $120

Employee A stat pay calculation: $1,140 / 10 days worked = $114
Employee B stat pay calculation: $120 / 1 day worked = $120

Confusing right? You would think the person that worked more would earn more stat pay?

Turn your full time, 40 hour/week job into 10 part time jobs that pay biweekly and work at each once for 8 hours. Each stat day you would earn 10 full days of stat pay, one from each job. 9 stat holidays a year and you could earn an extra 81 days of pay.

I guess we're are giving more to those in need but getting more for doing less never seems like a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:05:53 PM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »

"The simplified formula means that employees are entitled to their average regular daily wage"

The formula is: (Amount earned during last pay period) divided by (number of days worked in last pay period)

Confusing right? You would think the person that worked more would earn more stat pay?

Turn your full time, 40 hour/week job into 10 part time jobs that pay biweekly and work at each once for 8 hours. Each stat day you would earn 10 full days of stat pay, one from each job. 9 stat holidays a year and you could earn an extra 81 days of pay.

I guess we're are giving more to those in need but getting more for doing less never seems like a good thing.

It's actually getting challenged by businesses, like our group of companies.  It gets even further muddied when there are monthly/quarterly performance bonuses paid out during the pay period before the stat, but are earned throughout the month/quarter. 

The MOL will actually suggest some work arounds, as they've even admitted that the new legislation is flawed.  I don't think most people understand the new implications of the holiday pay part of the legislation.  It's an absolute mess, and they had years to work on it.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »

I just asked my boss if I could do this. He told me to clean out my desk by 5pm.

Online cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 01:11:53 PM »

It's actually getting challenged by businesses, like our group of companies.  It gets even further muddied when there are monthly/quarterly performance bonuses paid out during the pay period before the stat, but are earned throughout the month/quarter. 

The MOL will actually suggest some work arounds, as they've even admitted that the new legislation is flawed.  I don't think most people understand the new implications of the holiday pay part of the legislation.  It's an absolute mess, and they had years to work on it.
The old way made way more sense, it really wasn't overly complicated and it was fair. Part time jobs will become non-existent.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:16:13 PM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »
The old way made way more sense, it really wasn't over complicated and it was fair. Part time jobs will become non-existent.

What if Employee B lost a full day of work because the holiday fell on a Monday and he only works Monday's? He gets paid only $24 of stat pay under the old system, correct? That's $100 gone right there and now he's short on rent that month. I'm not saying that the new system is perfect but I think that guy wouldn't say the old one was "fair" to him.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
Kathlene Wynne talks about the Ford/Trump comparison a bit here:

Full thread:

Today I was asked by reporters about Doug Ford's comments yesterday that were just short of ďlock her up." I thought hard about how to respond. Here's what I said:

Letís just call this out for what it is Ė Doug Ford sounds like Donald Trump. And thatís because he IS like Donald Trump. He believes in an ugly, vicious brand of politics that traffics in smears and lies.

Heíll say anything about anyone at any time Ė because, just like Trump, itís all about him. Not about our people and their families. Not about Ontarioís success. But about him. Thatís how Trump campaigned in 2016. Thatís how Ford is campaigning right now.

And I guarantee you Ė it will get worse before it gets better. We saw it this week when Doug lied Ė flat out lied Ė about his appalling comments about families living with autism. Yesterday ó he did it again ó when he all but chanted ďLock Her UpĒ talking about me.

Itís not about me. I have pretty thick skin. But I want people to notice whatís going on here Ė Doug Ford stands for nothing but Doug Ford. And, just like Donald Trump, thereís only one way to deal with him. You have stand up to him. Because thatís how you deal with a bully.

Michelle Obama, whom I admire greatly, recommended that when they go low, we should go high. I liked that idea when she said it. Until we ended up with Donald Trump in the White House. So, Iím sorry. But not again. Not here. Not in Ontario.

Iím not going to go high. Iím not going to go low. Iím going to call that bullying behaviour out for what it is.

Because he may be Donald Trump. But I am not Hillary Clinton. And Ontario is not the United States of America. We can't let it happen again. Not here, not ever.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »
Yeah, Doug Ford is gonna win.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »