Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 50541 times)

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #555 on: July 04, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »
Does this work for you guys?

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/781507

I signed Nylander for 6.75M x 8 and Johnsson for 1.25M x 2 and added Lindholm, Moore, Borgman, and Ozhiganov to the roster to get to 23 men (Horton on IR, not LTIR).  I'm at 4.48M in cap space.  We need 3.7M available for potential bonuses to Matthews and Marner.

Question:  What about the performance bonuses for Lindholm and Moore?

Yes, they both have the potential to hit up to 850k in bonuses each (in 212.5k chunks).  Typically you need like 20 goal seasons and such to hit them.  Its a possibility, but I don't think we need to worry about that at this moment yet.

Thank you.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 04, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »
Next season you can potentially shed Marleau (LTIR or trade, will he want to play for approx a million in actual salary?)

I wouldn't be banking on this. If Marleau thinks he has a shot at winning the Cup, he'll play. He also has full NMC, so, he's not going anywhere if he doesn't want to - and, quite frankly, unless he tails off big time this season, I don't expect the Leafs to be looking to rid themselves of him, either.

Unless we win the cup this year.  Then maybe Marleau goes out on top, considering he's only got a small bit of money coming next year.  Since its a 35+ contract though, Leafs would have to trade him (which, he would waive to do so) to a team willing to absorb the cap hit without actually paying him anything..

Best case, Leafs win Cup, Marleau agrees to go back to San Jose to retire a Shark?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #556 on: July 04, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 04, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
Next season you can potentially shed Marleau (LTIR or trade, will he want to play for approx a million in actual salary?)

I wouldn't be banking on this. If Marleau thinks he has a shot at winning the Cup, he'll play. He also has full NMC, so, he's not going anywhere if he doesn't want to - and, quite frankly, unless he tails off big time this season, I don't expect the Leafs to be looking to rid themselves of him, either.

Unless we win the cup this year.  Then maybe Marleau goes out on top, considering he's only got a small bit of money coming next year.  Since its a 35+ contract though, Leafs would have to trade him (which, he would waive to do so) to a team willing to absorb the cap hit without actually paying him anything..

Best case, Leafs win Cup, Marleau agrees to go back to San Jose to retire a Shark?

We can say that, except that he's a pretty productive player.

Even if he doesn't score 27 this season, which he could very well, he's not easy to replace.  Defensively responsible, great shot, skates really well...

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 04, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »

Even if he doesn't score 27 this season, which he could very well, he's not easy to replace.  Defensively responsible, great shot, skates really well...

He's going to have to be replaced at some point.  He's turning 40 before the 3rd year of his deal, is he playing to Jagr age?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 04, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »

I signed Nylander for 6.75M x 8 and Johnsson for 1.25M x 2 and added Lindholm, Moore, Borgman, and Ozhiganov to the roster to get to 23 men (Horton on IR, not LTIR).  I'm at 4.48M in cap space.  We need 3.7M available for potential bonuses to Matthews and Marner.

So help me out here. I know the thinking is that we need a certain amount of cap space for potential bonuses because the last thing we want is for to get hit for an overage in the year where the big extensions kick in.

But, worst case scenario, isn't it a little bit manageable to deal with that overage if you make one or two fairly reasonable cost saving measures? Wasn't the whole point of drafting so heavily on the wing these last few years that someone like Bracco or Grundstrom or Korshkov could step in for Hyman or Brown relatively soon? So if you have to trade a guy or two, I don't think the Leafs couldn't deal with the overage in 19-20 and then the year after that Marleau and Hainsey are off the books and there's a bit more breathing room.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 04, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »

He's going to have to be replaced at some point.  He's turning 40 before the 3rd year of his deal, is he playing to Jagr age?

I'm willing to bet we'll have an internal option ready to replace him by the time he's through this contract.  Grundstrom being the likely candidate at this point.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 04, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
I fear Iíve made a mistake (the bonus overages from last year?) because other people donít seem to put us this close to the edge.  If we are here, I donít see how we could add Faulk or anyone at all without trading out a larger salary... help?

Capfriendly's $63.3mil figure includes the $2.55mil overage from last season, so you've counted that twice.

... that is what I was afraid of ...

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 04, 2018, 04:05:44 PM »

So help me out here. I know the thinking is that we need a certain amount of cap space for potential bonuses because the last thing we want is for to get hit for an overage in the year where the big extensions kick in.

But, worst case scenario, isn't it a little bit manageable to deal with that overage if you make one or two fairly reasonable cost saving measures? Wasn't the whole point of drafting so heavily on the wing these last few years that someone like Bracco or Grundstrom or Korshkov could step in for Hyman or Brown relatively soon? So if you have to trade a guy or two, I don't think the Leafs couldn't deal with the overage in 19-20 and then the year after that Marleau and Hainsey are off the books and there's a bit more breathing room.

Hainsey's done after this year.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 04, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »

Even better.
-Karl Marx

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 04, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »

Even better.

Yep, but I think my answer to the post would be that it would be more ideal to have that cap space next season, just in case another need arises, or whatever arises.

The easy answer is that I don't think it's hard to make cap space by trading out good hockey players that make a lot of money.  The down side is that you're replacing a predictably productive player with a bit of an unknown.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 04, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
The easy answer is that I don't think it's hard to make cap space by trading out good hockey players that make a lot of money.  The down side is that you're replacing a predictably productive player with a bit of an unknown.

Sure, but I don't think we can pretend that holding onto the big 4 forwards the Leafs will be building around means that they won't have to make those sorts of decisions. Pittsburgh has had to be pretty unsentimental with their wings over the years and trust they can find guys to play with their superstars on the cheap.
-Karl Marx

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 04, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »

You do make a good point here.  I think having some overage carry over isn't the end of the world, but it might mean cutting ties with one of the guys you mentioned. However, I think going into LTIR this season and carrying over almost 4M means cutting alot more ties because for every 2M player you cut out, you still have to pay his replacement 1M. 

19-20 is tight already.  In my armchair gm, if you click on Long Term Outlook:

We're a shade under 56M with 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and Freddie signed.  Looking at this again, I see no reason to trade Horton's contract, because in 2019-2020 you are more comfortable putting him on LTIR, so subtract the 5.3M.  You're at 50.7M.  So, lets be conservative and say the cap goes to 80.7M so we have a nice round 30M to work with:

Matthews:  11M
Marner:  7M

So now you've got 12M left to sign:

- Kapanen and three other depth forwards.  (budget 4.5-5M?)
- Backup goalie (budget 1M)
- 4 defensemen (with 6.5M???) 

And that's with zero bonus overage carried over.  We may have to cut ties with the Brown/Hyman/Kapanen types just to have a d-core that's as good as we have now.

Yeah, there is a crunch coming. Lets plan to not carry over any bonus money and make it worse.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:20:42 PM by Coco-puffs »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 04, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »

Dealing with an overage in 19/20 certainly wouldn't be the end of the world there just better be a good reason to do it. Like if we're looking to take a salary dump like Steve Mason I'd want a heck of a lot more back than just Joel Armia.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2018, 04:32:49 PM »

Sure, but I don't think we can pretend that holding onto the big 4 forwards the Leafs will be building around means that they won't have to make those sorts of decisions. Pittsburgh has had to be pretty unsentimental with their wings over the years and trust they can find guys to play with their superstars on the cheap.

I agree, it's just that originally we were talking about whether or not to worry about carrying over a bonus overage so that next year they wouldn't have to make one of those riskier decisions on the wing ie: Grundstrom in Brown out.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 04, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
I agree, it's just that originally we were talking about whether or not to worry about carrying over a bonus overage so that next year they wouldn't have to make one of those riskier decisions on the wing ie: Grundstrom in Brown out.

Ok, but is that really risky? Or is that just a good move regardless? Because if Brown is the team's 4th line RW shouldn't we be looking to move him anyway?
-Karl Marx