Author Topic: The Official Movie Thread  (Read 108086 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Movie Thread
« Reply #915 on: September 08, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/geoff-johns-on-the-future-of-dc-movies-relax-were-cha-1786394751

In their first interview since taking over the DC Films, the men put in charge of righting the ship after Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad admitted that the tone of the previous films has been wrong—and as a result, many changes are being made.

Those men are Geoff Johns and Jon Berg, the DC Comics chief creative officer and Warner Bros. executive, respectively, who are now in charge of the DC Films slate, which includes Justice League, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman and many others.

“In the past, I think the studio has said, ‘Oh, DC films are gritty and dark and that’s what makes them different.’ That couldn’t be more wrong,” Johns told The Wall Street Journal. “It’s a hopeful and optimistic view of life. Even Batman has a glimmer of that in him. If he didn’t think he’d make tomorrow better, he’d stop.”

[...]

That film will also “directly address Batman’s extreme actions in [Batman v Superman], such as torturing criminals and nearly killing the Man of Steel, rather than accept them as par for the course.” That’s similar to what happened in Batman v Superman, which addressed Superman’s inadvertent destruction of the city of Metropolis during Man of Steel for its first act.

Oh good.
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 08, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »

Is tone really the issue. The Dark Knight was plenty, well, dark and gritty and it was as good a super hero movie as has been made.

It seems to me that the problem with the movies they've been putting out is that they're just not good.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #916 on: September 08, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 08, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »

Is tone really the issue. The Dark Knight was plenty, well, dark and gritty and it was as good a super hero movie as has been made.

It seems to me that the problem with the movies they've been putting out is that they're just not good.

I think much like a hard-nosed coach generally has a limited shelf life in any job before being tuned-out, superhero movies can only give you so many gut punches before you're just longing for someone to crack a smile.

Nolan's Batman was the Deer Hunter of comic book films and if every film tries that, it wears an audience down.

This post has been brought to you by Stretch Armstrong.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 08, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »

Tone change might just be a gentle euphemism for ousting Snyder.

I recently saw the extended cut of BvS. It wasn't good, but it wasn't unwatchably terribad. A lot of characterization didn't make much sense, but apart from Superman, we haven't really received a full story from anyone else yet, so they're free to augment the story after the fact. Not really good film making, per se, but it's a punt on the 4th down sort of thing.

One thing I appreciated about the Whedon Avengers films was that table setting scene early on to re-establish the characters, if even in broad strokes, without spelling it all out with exposition (both taking place literally at a table). For all its flaws, the Mjolnir scene at the dinner party in Age of Ultron was brilliant at accomplishing this (including setting up the revelation that allows them to progress in the third act).
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 08, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
Huh. Maybe it's just me but I didn't think the Dark Knight was, you know, Raging Bull in terms of tone or anything. There's still a bunch of big action set-pieces and Ledger gets some good jokes in there.
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 08, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »

Also, I highly recommend The Nice Guys. Legitimately funny, the right amount of stupid. Sad it couldn't be a 13 hour miniseries.
-Karl Marx

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 08, 2016, 04:25:38 PM »

Also, I highly recommend The Nice Guys. Legitimately funny, the right amount of stupid. Sad it couldn't be a 13 hour miniseries.

Easily one of my favourite movies of the year.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 08, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »

They haven't been good, but, I do think tone has been part of that problem. When you're dealing with established characters, the tone needs to reflect who that character is. Dark and gritty works well for Batman, because, well, that's Batman. It doesn't work for Superman, or the Justice League as a whole. That's something that Marvel seems to understand to some degree, but DC hasn't, yet.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 09, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »
They haven't been good, but, I do think tone has been part of that problem. When you're dealing with established characters, the tone needs to reflect who that character is. Dark and gritty works well for Batman, because, well, that's Batman. It doesn't work for Superman, or the Justice League as a whole. That's something that Marvel seems to understand to some degree, but DC hasn't, yet.

Admittedly I'm less familiar with DC comics than I am Marvel and so I don't entirely know how a thing like Suicide Squad should be tonally to be faithful to stuff but just personally I'm relatively familiar with Superman on a grand scale and, sure, if I'd come out of the Superman movie thinking "That was really good but too grim" I'd probably like it less than if they'd nailed it tonally too but still the lousy Marvel movies did alright tone wise, they just weren't well put together flicks.

I guess the Iron Man and Avengers sequels did decent business which is a studio consideration but just for me some sort of allegiance to any one book's tone(considering just about any comic has had incarnations of various tones) seems like a minor deal compared with just making a decent movie.
-Karl Marx

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 09, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

Admittedly I'm less familiar with DC comics than I am Marvel and so I don't entirely know how a thing like Suicide Squad should be tonally to be faithful to stuff but just personally I'm relatively familiar with Superman on a grand scale and, sure, if I'd come out of the Superman movie thinking "That was really good but too grim" I'd probably like it less than if they'd nailed it tonally too but still the lousy Marvel movies did alright tone wise, they just weren't well put together flicks.

I guess the Iron Man and Avengers sequels did decent business which is a studio consideration but just for me some sort of allegiance to any one book's tone(considering just about any comic has had incarnations of various tones) seems like a minor deal compared with just making a decent movie.

The tone of Batman vs. Superman didn't bother me.  It's the fact that they tried to do too many stories in one movie.  That disjointedness is what caused it's problems in my opinion.  All they had to do was stay true to the original plot line.  Batman doesn't trust Superman.  This is the reason he is going to take him down.  Man vs. god battle ensues, and at some point you figure out a way to have Batman and Superman reconcile, that doesn't involve a poorly played Lex Luthor. 

I've said it before and I will say it again.  Lex Luthor is a cold, calculating, sociopath that only cares about world domination.  He is in some ways the moral mirror opposite of Batman.  He is not a wealthier version of the Joker.  All the director had to do was look at Eisenberg and say "You know what you did in Social Network?  Do that again" and not "You know Heath Ledger did an awesome Joker right?"

At it's core though, Batman vs. Superman was probably a bad direction to go for a lead in to the Justice League movie.  Simply because at the end of the day, there isn't a case where Superman *needs* Batman, so there isn't a threat that they can create, where Batman doesn't feel somewhat superfluous.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: September 09, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
If you want a good DC movie, hit up their animated stuff. They get it right.
#BeBlessed

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 09, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »

It's weird, because, they definitely get the animated stuff right, and their TV shows are also usually very much on the mark. It's just, outside of the Nolan Batman movies, their recent releases have all missed the mark (though, they're getting closer than they were with Green Lantern).
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 09, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »

It's weird, because, they definitely get the animated stuff right, and their TV shows are also usually very much on the mark. It's just, outside of the Nolan Batman movies, their recent releases have all missed the mark (though, they're getting closer than they were with Green Lantern).

Their cinematic operation has been, as all eyeball evidence has since confirmed, largely tone-deaf; perhaps more of a cacophony of executive meddling than true tone-deafness, but that is the result of backing the wrong horse in Synder (set-piece > story > character, which is the exact opposite of what it should be). DC live action movies generally have had no heart to speak of.

Where they have succeeded, in my opinion, is casting.
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 23, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
Power Rangers update for the two people who might have nostalgia for this:

Bill Hader has been cast as Alpha-5, along side Elizabeth Banks as Rita and Bryan Cranston as Zordon. Wut is happening?
Zords teased in latest posters. They look like... bicycle helmets.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:13:35 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 08, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C4qqsgs8w[/youtube]

So they've gone with a Breakfast Club meets Chronicle take (and a bit Sam Raimi Spiderman with bestowed intrinsic abilities).

Edit: A YouTube commenter beat me to the same assessment by an hour.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:26:01 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed