Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch  (Read 14781 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
I'd be really curious to know what kind of offer was good enough here from Tampa that St. Louis would have accepted an offer for. Especially in a deal that would have included a contract extension for Shattenkirk. Tampa's prospect pool isn't really anything special. Drouin was mentioned in Shattenkirk deals last season but with his play this season there's almost no way he was on the table anymore. I doubt Vasilevskiy would have been offered too.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »
I'd be really curious to know what kind of offer was good enough here from Tampa that St. Louis would have accepted an offer for. Especially in a deal that would have included a contract extension for Shattenkirk. Tampa's prospect pool isn't really anything special. Drouin was mentioned in Shattenkirk deals last season but with his play this season there's almost no way he was on the table anymore. I doubt Vasilevskiy would have been offered too.

Yeah, I wondered about that too(Also how it would work capwise).

My guess is it would have been built around one of Johnson or Palat.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »

Yeah, I wondered about that too(Also how it would work capwise).

My guess is it would have been built around one of Johnson or Palat.

Tyler Johnson is the name I heard this morning, possibly McKenzie speculating?
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2017, 01:47:55 AM »
SportsNet's Chris Johnston agrees: time to get a depth center.

It wasn’t a sequence that warranted individual blame quite so much as it reinforced an idea that’s been running through the top levels of the organization for some time now: They could still use more help down the middle.

Babcock certainly made no secret of his feelings on the matter – “I think we have good depth in lots of spots, not as much at centre ice” – and now we wait to see if general manager Lou Lamoriello can line up a deal that makes sense ahead of Wednesday’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline.

The thinking here is easy to understand.

As much as the Leafs still feel it necessary to closely guard their draft picks and prospects, they also believe it’s vital to give the youngest roster in the NHL an opportunity to grow through the experience of playing big games down the stretch.

Whatever a deadline rental center costs is surely less than what they'll recoup trading Bozak, JvR, and Komarov over the next year.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
According to PPP, Brendan Smith (UFA $2..75M cap hit), and Riley Sheahan (1 yr. rem.@ 2.07M), are possible players the Leafs may be interested in from the Red Wings.  (This was also discussed on HNIC Saturday night.).

Sheahan's a centre and Smith a defenceman. If the Leafs were considering a Hunwick or Polak unloading then Smith could be a decent fill-in.  Sheahan would take the place of Ben Smith or Gauthier and add much-needed depth at that position.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/2/26/14741398/toronto-maple-leafs-trade-rumours-riley-sheahan-brendan-smith-2017-nhl-trade-deadline

Offline Mr. Leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
According to PPP, Brendan Smith (UFA $2..75M cap hit), and Riley Sheahan (1 yr. rem.@ 2.07M), are possible players the Leafs may be interested in from the Red Wings.  (This was also discussed on HNIC Saturday night.).

Sheahan's a centre and Smith a defenceman. If the Leafs were considering a Hunwick or Polak unloading then Smith could be a decent fill-in.  Sheahan would take the place of Ben Smith or Gauthier and add much-needed depth at that position.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/2/26/14741398/toronto-maple-leafs-trade-rumours-riley-sheahan-brendan-smith-2017-nhl-trade-deadline
Last night on HNIC Kypreos said it could cost the Leafs as much as a first round pick for Sheehan...that's crazy!

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @Real_ESPNLeBrun  now40 seconds ago

Hearing that the Flyers are close to re-signing goalie Michal Neuvirth (pending UFA July 1)

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2017, 10:47:20 AM »

San Antonio Rampage‏Verified account @sarampage  now2 minutes ago

BREAKING: @Avalanche have acquired Brendan Ranford from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for Joe Whitney.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie  now1 minute ago

FLA gives up Dylan McIlrath and a third round pick to DET for Thomas Vanek. DET retains 50 per cent of salary.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »

Fascinating

Lance Hornby‏Verified account
@sunhornby

Leafs move Soshnikov to the Marlies, but remember that AHL playoff roster considerations mean some moves must be made today.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
Thanks, it does seem like a housekeeping move.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
Franson for a 3rd?
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.