Author Topic: Mitch Marner  (Read 31237 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
I'm curious if LK has anything to say about the idea that Marner struggled with zone entries as a London Knight. I find it pretty hard to believe that he wouldn't have been absolutely dominant in that area of the game in the OHL.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
I'm curious if LK has anything to say about the idea that Marner struggled with zone entries as a London Knight. I find it pretty hard to believe that he wouldn't have been absolutely dominant in that area of the game in the OHL.

Just based off that CityTV spotlight on baby Marner, he was a zone entry machine from 3 years old.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »

The eye test can always be deceiving but zone entries wouldn't have been very high on my list of concerns for Marner during his time in London.  Much like Kadri he routinely would carry the puck up the ice.  The only legitimate concerns you could have around Marner would be center vs. winger and whether his size would cause him to get beaten up too much at the NHL level.

Marner was phenomenal at being elusive in the OHL.  Able to avoid heavy contact even against the boards while maintaining puck control and he was perfectly find bringing the puck up the ice.  I think Simmons is hocking more nonsense or the Coyotes have some analytics that are just bad evaluations.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »
Right. So at worst Steve Simmons is just completely making things up. At best he's passing along information from probably questionable sources and not doing a single second of research to see if the information is credible.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2018, 03:07:08 PM »
Right. So at worst Steve Simmons is just completely making things up. At best he's passing along information from probably questionable sources and not doing a single second of research to see if the information is credible.

Marner's agent + dad getting down to work this week.
Invalid Tweet ID

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2018, 10:36:51 PM »
Heh, I guess if Dylan Strome had been amazing in Arizona that would have been one thing, but although they got the wrong brother, the point is valid about the draft order. Not that sportsnet has too many talking heads of any talent except Friedman. Although I like listening to Burkie when he's on. 

Marner tied for 3rd in the league for points with McDavid.

If I'm guessing, I'll say he'll sign for 8x9.5M. People will tell me I'm nuts, but i think he's as important to the team as Matthews.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »

I'm all for dragging the Coyotes for going with Strome over Marner but it's hard to ignore that in terms of organization and players around them that Marner has been put in one of the best possible situations and Strome one of the worst.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2018, 04:31:41 AM »
I would say that Marner is the most enjoyable to watch Leaf we've had since maybe Mogilny in terms of vision and creativeness. As much as I love Matthews, Tavares and Nylander etc, I think Marner is taking over as my "favourite"
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »

The media often likes to set things up as if one person "wins" and another "loses".  For example: Dubas vs Babcock on Komarov or Babcock vs Hunter above.  I imagine that most decisions in happen as described above -- people may have slightly different opinions but they collaborate to find a good answer to various questions.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 20, 2018, 01:19:43 AM »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 21, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
Congratulations to Marner:

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »

Why did we ever get rid of Vincent Damphousse?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 21, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »

Wasn't that the Ballard Loafs? Glad they don't have TV in Hell
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 21, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »

Seems like a very underrated candidate for worst trades in franchise history. At the same time maybe, and I stress the maybe here, the team doesn't go after Sundin a few years later if they had him as the 1C already.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #314 on: December 21, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »