Poll

Who will captain the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2019?

William Nylander
20 (60.6%)
John Tavares
3 (9.1%)
Morgan Rielly
6 (18.2%)
Mitch Marner
0 (0%)
No one
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Discussion  (Read 28203 times)

Offline Pick

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Discussion
« Reply #1065 on: October 05, 2019, 08:16:09 PM »
One observation this preseason.
A rookie takes a run at Matthews, elbow up and then sticks a knee out, and nobody does anything.

They scored a bunch of goals in response.

Just watched Coaches Corner. Commenting on the hit that put Tavares on his ass, Don Cherry stated Leafs aren't tough enough for the playoffs and won't win the SC. I won't be as quick as Grapes to make a conclusion so early in the season but I agree Leafs aren't showing the toughness needed to advance far in the PO's.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1065 on: October 05, 2019, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 05, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
A rookie takes a run at Matthews, elbow up and then sticks a knee out, and nobody does anything.

Just watched Coaches Corner. Commenting on the hit that put Tavares on his ass, Don Cherry stated Leafs aren't tough enough for the playoffs and won't win the SC. I won't be as quick as Grapes to make a conclusion so early in the season but I agree Leafs aren't showing the toughness needed to advance far in the PO's.
As Babcock said, being tough doesn't mean hitting guys or beating people up. Being tough to play against means making the other team bust their ass to get anything done because you're so good and tenacious.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Pick

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 05, 2019, 11:31:35 PM »

As Babcock said, being tough doesn't mean hitting guys or beating people up. Being tough to play against means making the other team bust their ass to get anything done because you're so good and tenacious.

I agree with Babcock but it's harder to be 'good and tenacious' when your best players are fighting off thugs or worse, nursing injuries. Suzuki's run at Matthews, elbow aimed at the head and knee out, could have resulted in serious injury. I'm surprised the incident didn't get more attention in the media and on this board.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1067 on: October 05, 2019, 11:31:35 PM »