Author Topic: Should the Leafs grab Yakupov if he's Waived?  (Read 8511 times)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Should the Leafs grab Yakupov if he's Waived?
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »
Gotcha.  Which is why IMO he'd get the Corrado treatment from last season to ensure that disruption wouldn't be a concern if/when they give him his first game.

Except that the "Corrado treatment" wasn't about getting him acclimated to the system, it was about getting him completely healthy before playing him on a regular basis. He had just come off an injury and had strength issues. He was cleared to play, so he couldn't get put on the IR.

Yakupov, other hand, is healthy (at least, he appears to be). You're suggesting benching a healthy player for half the season, and tying up $2.5M of the cap for the privilege (and potentially sacrificing another asset) - all while hoping he's happy enough with the situation not raise a stink or be a problem child - just to see if maybe he can turn things around enough to be a high value piece moving forward. There's way too much potential for negative to account for the slim potential for positive.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
No.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2016, 06:35:14 PM »
Gotcha.  Which is why IMO he'd get the Corrado treatment from last season to ensure that disruption wouldn't be a concern if/when they give him his first game.

Except that the "Corrado treatment" wasn't about getting him acclimated to the system, it was about getting him completely healthy before playing him on a regular basis. He had just come off an injury and had strength issues. He was cleared to play, so he couldn't get put on the IR.

Yakupov, other hand, is healthy (at least, he appears to be). You're suggesting benching a healthy player for half the season, and tying up $2.5M of the cap for the privilege (and potentially sacrificing another asset) - all while hoping he's happy enough with the situation not raise a stink or be a problem child - just to see if maybe he can turn things around enough to be a high value piece moving forward. There's way too much potential for negative to account for the slim potential for positive.

Who said half a season? One month or two tops, then he's fully incorporated or waived again. Point is there's zero risk if cap is cleared.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
Who said half a season? One month or two tops, then he's fully incorporated or waived again. Point is there's zero risk if cap is cleared.

That's clearly not true. There's the risk that they player they move to clear cap proves to be the more valuable asset. There's the risk that no one claims Yakupov, and he ends up being an additional $1.6M in dead cap space - which could result in increased cap overages. There's a number of risks you're either ignoring or downplaying. There's a lot more realistic risk than there is realistic reward.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »

That's clearly not true. There's the risk that they player they move to clear cap proves to be the more valuable asset. There's the risk that no one claims Yakupov, and he ends up being an additional $1.6M in dead cap space - which could result in increased cap overages. There's a number of risks you're either ignoring or downplaying. There's a lot more realistic risk than there is realistic reward.

Agree to disagree then.  It won't take much to move a depth player and clear enough cap.  Polak for instance.  Plus there are no more re-entry waivers.  No need to roll a 23 man roster with 8 D.  Plus at Polak's cap hit, he's pretty much waiver proof at this time of year. 

Yak>Leivo
Yak>Greening
At present, Yak>Brown

Maybe playing with two seasoned vets in Michalek and Bozak, or JVR and Bozak could give him the spark he needs.  Maybe a look with Kadri and Komarov.

He's 22 for heaven's sake.  Outproduced Stamkos.  It could merely be a case of a mismanaged asset in Edmonton which is hardly a stretch.

A two month experiment on a rebuilding team posing very minimal risk in what was once the league's TOP prospect in his draft year if we have to give up NOTHING to get him.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
He's 22 for heaven's sake.  Outproduced Stamkos.  It could merely be a case of a mismanaged asset in Edmonton which is hardly a stretch.

Are you talking about in the NHL or with Sarnia?
#BeBlessed

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »

Are you talking about in the NHL or with Sarnia?

OHL of course. 

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2016, 02:53:41 PM »

Agree to disagree then.  It won't take much to move a depth player and clear enough cap.  Polak for instance.  Plus there are no more re-entry waivers.  No need to roll a 23 man roster with 8 D.  Plus at Polak's cap hit, he's pretty much waiver proof at this time of year. 

As long as Babcock is in the press saying the team is too 'light', Polak is going nowhere.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »

Yak>Leivo
Yak>Greening
At present, Yak>Brown

Maybe playing with two seasoned vets in Michalek and Bozak, or JVR and Bozak could give him the spark he needs.  Maybe a look with Kadri and Komarov.

A two month experiment on a rebuilding team posing very minimal risk in what was once the league's TOP prospect in his draft year if we have to give up NOTHING to get him.

I Agree, if he is waived they should claim him. And of the cost is the Leafs waiving Greening, I'm fine with it.
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure even if he's waived and sent to the Marlies, Yakupov would put us over the cap.  So, as a waiver wire pickup, no.  If they want to take salary back for him (Michalek?  Greening?  Both of whom I'd have a temptation to keep because of their potential return at the deadline), then I'd consider it.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure even if he's waived and sent to the Marlies, Yakupov would put us over the cap.  So, as a waiver wire pickup, no.  If they want to take salary back for him (Michalek?  Greening?  Both of whom I'd have a temptation to keep because of their potential return at the deadline), then I'd consider it.

NHL has approved Cowen's buyout.  We have over 2 Mil in available cap before needing to use LTIR.  Yak's hit is 2.5M.  Need to just waive a contract that frees up less than 500K.  Very doable to remain cap compliant by the start of the season.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »
Yak>Leivo
Yak>Greening
At present, Yak>Brown

Two of those three players are unlikely to make the Opening Night roster as it is, and the third is far more suited to the 3rd/4th line role he'll be filling than Yakupov. He doesn't represent an upgrade over any of the players that will be filling the type of role you'd be using him in. That, combined with the salary cap implications (which are more significant than simply being below the ceiling - the Leafs need to be far enough below the ceiling not to push significant bonus dollars into the 17/18 season's cap), and other potential issue make it an extremely easy no.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »
Yak>Leivo
Yak>Greening
At present, Yak>Brown

Two of those three players are unlikely to make the Opening Night roster as it is, and the third is far more suited to the 3rd/4th line role he'll be filling than Yakupov. He doesn't represent an upgrade over any of the players that will be filling the type of role you'd be using him in. That, combined with the salary cap implications (which are more significant than simply being below the ceiling - the Leafs need to be far enough below the ceiling not to push significant bonus dollars into the 17/18 season's cap), and other potential issue make it an extremely easy no.

So you don't realize how much cap we're clearing come season's end then.  Got it.  It makes it an extremely easy no for you.  Your position is not gospel.  Its an extremely easy yes for me, given our option to waive him as well if things don't work out with him.

If he isn't waived this all becomes moot anyway and just remains a matter of opinion. 

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »
Yak>Leivo
Yak>Greening
At present, Yak>Brown

So you don't realize how much cap we're clearing come season's end then.  Got it.  It makes it an extremely easy no for you.  Your position is not gospel.  Its an extremely easy yes for me, given our option to waive him as well if things don't work out with him.

If he isn't waived this all becomes moot anyway and just remains a matter of opinion.

If I had to take on another team's garbage, Edmonton is pretty low on the list of teams I'd choose. Honestly, It's a coin flip between him and a guy like Leivo for me. I don't think either will make a big impact in the league, but might be serviceable players... maybe. And, well, I like Leivo's salary better. And please don't assume I 'don't realize how much cap we're clearing come season's end', just because I disagree with your opinion.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
Yak>Leivo
Yak>Greening
At present, Yak>Brown

If I had to take on another team's garbage, Edmonton is pretty low on the list of teams I'd choose. Honestly, It's a coin flip between him and a guy like Leivo for me. I don't think either will make a big impact in the league, but might be serviceable players... maybe. And, well, I like Leivo's salary better. And please don't assume I 'don't realize how much cap we're clearing come season's end', just because I disagree with your opinion.

All good except that Yak has actually been in the NHL and has that experience, ya know, since he was drafted.  Its his development that has stunk.

Talent wise he is way better than Leivo, don't kid yourself.  Your opinion aside, of course.