Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 55290 times)

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #930 on: July 31, 2019, 05:33:00 PM »
Umm the jays just traded Sanchez and Biagini to Houston for ... pretty much nothing.

Are you under the impression that those guys are good players?

Apparently Cal Stevenson was included in the trade and that I find interesting. He's a pretty decent prospect.

No. Iím questioning why you would trade Sanchez at his absolute lowest value. There was no rush. Let him pitch another year see if he gets back on track. They had nothing to lose.

Actually his lowest value would be him on the DL next year which, given his track record, isn't all that unlikely a scenario.

Further to that point, it's possible he's really only a bullpen arm and the market for those certainly isn't any higher than that of a bad back of the rotation starter with "potential."

Including Stevenson in this deal, though, is a little concerning to me. It just sounds like Luhnow smelled blood in the water and kept attacking.

If Sanchez didnít pitch a single inning next year and walks as a free agent we get a better return than this deal.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #930 on: July 31, 2019, 05:33:00 PM »

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 31, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »
This is as much as a steaming pile of crap as the Donaldson trade.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 31, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »
No. Iím questioning why you would trade Sanchez at his absolute lowest value. There was no rush. Let him pitch another year see if he gets back on track. They had nothing to lose.

While Iím by no means saying this was a good trade, itís extremely unlikely, with his track record of injuries and control issues that Sanchez rebounds enough to be more valuable as a two month rental than he had as a player with another season of team control.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 31, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »
If Sanchez didnít pitch a single inning next year and walks as a free agent we get a better return than this deal.

I think that's only true if the Jays gave him a qualifying offer after next year which was probably unlikely.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 31, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »

I think that's only true if the Jays gave him a qualifying offer after next year which was probably unlikely.

Oh I'm not even thinking of draft pick compensation.  I'm just saying that I think the Jays were better off not making this trade entirely and that keeping Biagini/Stephenson and then having Sanchez potentially walk without compensation after next year is still a better move.   I'm really not a fan of them acquiring Fisher here.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 31, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »
Oh I'm not even thinking of draft pick compensation.  I'm just saying that I think the Jays were better off not making this trade entirely and that keeping Biagini/Stephenson and then having Sanchez potentially walk without compensation after next year is still a better move.   I'm really not a fan of them acquiring Fisher here.

Ah. I think Fisher is an interesting guy to give regular 1B/DH time to but I suppose we'll see.

I get that people are disappointed that in a rebuilding years the Jays came out of the deadline without adding any top flight prospects or sure thing starters but I think that if you look at the number of guys who didn't move that maybe should have or where guys actually moved to that the market just didn't have that in the cards.
-Karl Marx

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 31, 2019, 11:33:38 PM »
Now, just a minute Anthony...hoser? Whaaa???  😳🤭😳🧐

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 31, 2019, 11:39:09 PM »
Daniel Hudson to the Washington Nationals for P Kyle Johnston:

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 01, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »
You can't say that until you see Merryweather pitch and he will eventually pitch...somewhere...sometime

To me Donaldson looked like he was no the knacker heap, a testament to Jays training staff I guess
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 01, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
You can't say that until you see Merryweather pitch and he will eventually pitch...somewhere...sometime

To me Donaldson looked like he was no the knacker heap, a testament to Jays training staff I guess

We all know the Jays management should have traded Donaldson when the time presented itself (the season before) and they failed to capitalize.

Donaldson eventually became bona fide Ďdamaged goodsí and so the return (via trade) was likewise (Merryweather). 
No one knows just when, and if, Merryweather shows up in a Jays uniform.

No one would call the returns in the Stroman deal complete crap.  There may be some upside to these two prospects ( Kay & Woods-Richardson). 
If the Jays couldnít find any suitors, (not interested in overpaying), for Stroman and for a better return, then perhaps they jumped ahead of themselves in their zeal to rid the team of him.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 01, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »
Hereís the lowdown on Anthony Kay:

According to Yahoo Sports, Kay was the Metsí top-ranked pitching prospect. The 24-year-old was a 2016 first-round pick who fires a fastball that usually shoots in the 92-94 mph range and is known to throw a dynamite curveball.

Kay is also a Tommy John surgery survivor. A surgical procedure in which a healthy tendon is extracted from an arm or a leg and is used to replace an arm's torn ligament.

Yeah, so right now, big question mark.

https://www.narcity.com/sports/ca/on/toronto/anthony-kay-has-no-idea-how-canada-works-and-toronto-blue-jays-fans-are-educating-him

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 02, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
I will admit that Iíve been somewhat disconnected from the team, I donít watch many games, but ind read every box score, many articles and I listen to a fair share of sports radio.

With that being said, can someone explain to me why Biggio is being heralded as some kind of superior hitter at the plate? What am I missing? A .217 average is more than it appears?

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 02, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
I will admit that Iíve been somewhat disconnected from the team, I donít watch many games, but ind read every box score, many articles and I listen to a fair share of sports radio.

With that being said, can someone explain to me why Biggio is being heralded as some kind of superior hitter at the plate? What am I missing? A .217 average is more than it appears?

He's good at getting on base, has speed and some power. That adds up right now to a 1.2 oWAR in 55 games which, over a full season, adds up to a pretty good ballplayer even if the batting average doesn't increase.
-Karl Marx

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 02, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
Average is just a bad stat IMO.

It ignores nearly 20% of his plate appearances which all had positive outcomes.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 02, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
Average is just a bad stat IMO.

It ignores nearly 20% of his plate appearances which all had positive outcomes.

Thanks to both of you. I really need to get off my ass and get a better understanding of advanced batting stats
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:18:25 PM by Joe S. »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #944 on: August 02, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »