Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 44128 times)

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #720 on: September 07, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
I guess Shapiro should have said "We are, just like literally every other organization would do/has done in our situation, keeping Guerrero in the minors to avoid starting his service clock and to keep an extra asset on our 40-man roster that would otherwise be gone for nothing, because the season is over and there is not one reasonable reason to bring Guerrero up right now."

I mean he could have said that but I'm not sure that's the smartest thing for him to say.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #720 on: September 07, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 07, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
I guess Shapiro should have said "We are, just like literally every other organization would do/has done in our situation, keeping Guerrero in the minors to avoid starting his service clock and to keep an extra asset on our 40-man roster that would otherwise be gone for nothing, because the season is over and there is not one reasonable reason to bring Guerrero up right now."

I mean he could have said that but I'm not sure that's the smartest thing for him to say.
He should say that. The Jays are not violating any rules.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 07, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »

I don't for a second believe that if Shapiro had been forthright about service time concerns that the fans who look to give him crap about everything wouldn't then talk about how terrible it is that he doesn't care about giving fans buying September tickets something to cheer for.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 07, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »

So, who cares what he says? Not only do I agree with Nik about these fans still finding a way to give him crap but, regardless, the proper course of action is still being taken. I much prefer that than to having a nice, young, upstart Canadian President/GM who keeps making terrible decisions but is always up front about them.

Offline TimKerr

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 07, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »

So, who cares what he says? Not only do I agree with Nik about these fans still finding a way to give him crap but, regardless, the proper course of action is still being taken. I much prefer that than to having a nice, young, upstart Canadian President/GM who keeps making terrible decisions but is always up front about them.

Also, I've watched Vlad play live a few times and yes his defence is not that strong. So yes they are saving his service time but his defence isn't good either.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 07, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »

Another thing to consider is that with a manager who's probably on the way out and a clubhouse full of underperforming vets there's a real chance that it might not be the best environment to give a kid his first taste of the big leagues and, if that's true, it's also the sort of thing you can't really say.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 07, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »

Another thing to consider is that with a manager who's probably on the way out and a clubhouse full of underperforming vets there's a real chance that it might not be the best environment to give a kid his first taste of the big leagues and, if that's true, it's also the sort of thing you can't really say.
By the way, I totally agree with keeping Vlad in the minors to save a year of control. If him being up didn't burn a year of control he would be up right now. To suggest he wouldn't be up otherwise is crazy.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 07, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »

This is how I feel, and I agree that it's not something you can really say.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 25, 2018, 03:26:28 AM »
Soon-to-be Free agent Marco Estrada, in what may very well have been his last game as a Blue Jay, had this to say:

..."Theyve always been behind me. Theyve been the greatest fans ever and how could I not be thankful? Its been awesome. Hopefully, its not my last one. But if it is here, Im thankful for everything the fans have given me, for their support. I love it here. I love Toronto and I love the fans so Im thankful for everything they did for me.

Good luck to you, Marco.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 28, 2018, 10:05:56 AM »
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (hamstring injury), Aaron Sanchez (soon to have surgery on his troublesome blistered finger -- tendon problems), and Devon Travis have not accompanied the Jays on their seaso finale road trip in Tampa Bay.

Throw in Marcus Stroman, long shut down due to blistered finger issues).

Thank goodness the season's about over.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 30, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »
As stated elsewhere in this thread, there could be a sticking point when the next MLB CBA agreement comes to the fore (strike?) having to do with the subject of service time (for prospect callups) or to put it simply, "contract control" by teams.

It has been reported that Vladdy Guerrero Jr., was upset about not being on the September callup list (as most baseball observers wondered why he was still in the minors when he clearly had passed that scope).  The Jays Shapiro had his reasons and the MLBPA clearly did not take this kindly (as applied to teams all across the league).

As The Athletiic's in-depth article explained, baseball is indeed a convoluted sport, in fact the only sport of the major professional leagues in North America that limits, controls, or manipulate's  a young prospects contract to buy back time, etc.  Plenty of solutions were looked at or suggested in the article, but none perfect (the NHL model, the NFL & NBA models) to name a few.  Each had it's plusses & minuses.  Besides, for their own reasons given, many teams believe that the minuses outweigh the plusses.

Anyway, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. may file a grievance against the Jays organization.

Some way to begin a relationship with the parent squad, eh?  And it may not stop with Guerrero, as others may take the initiative or the impetus to do same.

https://jaysjournal.com/2018/09/30/blue-jays-report-vladimir-guerrero-jr-may-file-grievance/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:42:04 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 06, 2018, 08:18:53 AM »
Oh dear Lord, how ridiculous does this sound?  (old but valid tweet!)

Story: (older article)
https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-blue-jays-rejected-donaldson-trade-included-star-rookie/

Meantime, the Blue Jays receive the "player-to-be-named-later" in the Josh Donaldson trade  -- pitcher Julian Merryweather, Tommy John surgery and all:
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-jays-acquire-julian-merryweather-indians-complete-josh-donaldson-trade-163058381.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:22:05 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 19, 2018, 08:31:42 AM »
Blue Jays trade Diaz to the Astros for pitching prospect
Trent Thornton.

https://jaysjournal.com/2018/11/18/blue-jays-trading-aledmys-diaz-says-2019-shortstop-plans/amp/

Thornton comes from the Astros Triple A and as yet to start in the Majors.

More here:
https://jaysjournal.com/2018/11/17/blue-jays-quick-hits-trent-thornton/

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 27, 2018, 08:04:41 PM »
Us fans have every right in the world to be damn pissed at Shapiro and Rogers.  And quite frankly I don't give a flying **** what Nik or anyone else thinks of that.  Talk to any seasons ticket holder and see.  The cost of the tickets have nearly tripled over the past three years, and they have been nickle and diming the fans while putting an inferior product on the field.  This is the only business I have seen that charges three times as much for a vastly inferior product.  That would be like GM suddenly charging Corvette prices for the Impala.  No one would buy them.  And Rogers Centre is going to be a ghost town, you'll see.  Largest attendance drop in the MLB last season AFAIK.  This is just the beginning.  Shapiro is a corporate shill, pure and plain.  I can't stand the man.  The fake perma smile.  He's so fake.  Doesn't communicate with the fans and when he does he tows the corporate line.  I thought he was brought in to renovate/refurbish Rogers Centre.  What happened to that?  And what happened to the natural grass Beeston was working on?

You don't have to read between the tea leaves too deeply to find that the players can't stand working for this guy either.  Stupid is as stupid does I guess.  Rogers has no business owning a sports franchise.  The lunatics are running the asylum.

Online OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 27, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #734 on: November 27, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »