Author Topic: The Donald  (Read 93675 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Donald
« Reply #1215 on: October 06, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

That sort of brings up a question I've been pondering. Do Trump's supporters think he's smart? Do they think that if given, say, a substantive test on the constitution or health care policy or American history that he'd do well?

Fans of Bush always seemed to think the question was besides the point. They agreed with his values, so his raw intelligence was incidental. Meanwhile people like Obama and Hillary, I'm pretty sure, would do well in those settings and that was part of their appeal.

I think it's still kind of the same now. Intelligence is not a prerequisite of the Republican candidate; only whoever will take the same 'moral' stand with their base. I know the Bible Belt bloc of voters were willing to jump into bed with Trump for the ability to appoint a conservative Supreme Court Justice, his past and present sins be damned.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1215 on: October 06, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 06, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
I think it's still kind of the same now. Intelligence is not a prerequisite of the Republican candidate; only whoever will take the same 'moral' stand with their base. I know the Bible Belt bloc of voters were willing to jump into bed with Trump for the ability to appoint a conservative Supreme Court Justice, his past and present sins be damned.

No, I get that. The party is essentially comprised at this point of craven cynical opportunists disguised as defenders of virtue and the wall street types for whom craven cynical opportunism is a virtue unto itself but I still don't know if the rank and file would rate him with Bush there. Like I wonder how many would effectively say that he must be smart because he's a billionaire/got elected president or just because they themselves don't want to admit they voted for someone who isn't really bright.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 09, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
This administration is an absolute embarrassment.

Having an oil/gas man as the head of the EPA is disgusting. They're ending some of Obama's moves towards limiting greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/epa-chief-says-administration-roll-150239621.html

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 11, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »

Oh.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 11, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
For the past twenty years the media has catered to and celebrated the lowest common denominator in society and now we're seeing the chickens come home to roost.

When I was a kid, intelligence, kindness and the sciences were all things we celebrated.

Now we've created a world where people are so desensitized to the worst aspects of humanity that we've allowed an utter buffoon to drag us towards a thermo-nuclear third world war.

I mean how has he not been dragged out of there kicking and screaming yet?

Think of his Presidency and go back five years and describe his first year in office to someone, it's literally beyond reasonable comprehension.

He is an absolute affront to all that is good and decent in the world and he makes me worry about the world my son is going to grow up in.

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »

Oh.
That's, uh, not a good thing for the people in power to be throwing out there as a possibility

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 11, 2017, 03:53:06 PM »

Oh.

Great, only have Fox News broadcasting,  fair and balanced.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 11, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
For the past twenty years the media has catered to and celebrated the lowest common denominator in society and now we're seeing the chickens come home to roost.

When I was a kid, intelligence, kindness and the sciences were all things we celebrated.

Now we've created a world where people are so desensitized to the worst aspects of humanity that we've allowed an utter buffoon to drag us towards a thermo-nuclear third world war.

I mean how has he not been dragged out of there kicking and screaming yet?

Think of his Presidency and go back five years and describe his first year in office to someone, it's literally beyond reasonable comprehension.

He is an absolute affront to all that is good and decent in the world and he makes me worry about the world my son is going to grow up in.

Eh, I think a larger problem is that the Republicans voted to allow a relaxation on the obligation for the press to allow accuracy in their reporting.  Fox News has been the worst proprieter of fake talking points and lying dressed up as news.  CNN/NBC/CBS aren't immune to it either and certainly they play up sensationalism but I think we see far worse from the Republican destabilizing policies promoting this stuff.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »

The President, a man who campaigned on his "incredible" business acumen, does not have even the slightest understanding of how economies work:

-Mark Twain

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 24, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/us/politics/jeff-flake-transcript-senate-speech.html

An excellent speech by Jeff Flake the Republican Senator from Arizona today.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 24, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »

The President, a man who campaigned on his "incredible" business acumen, does not have even the slightest understanding of how economies work:

Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem relevant to huge numbers of voters.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 25, 2017, 05:00:02 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/us/politics/jeff-flake-transcript-senate-speech.html

Nonsense.   An excellent word vomit from a guy who hours later voted to provide immunity to banks from lawsuit.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 25, 2017, 06:45:58 AM »

Nonsense.   An excellent word vomit from a guy who hours later voted to provide immunity to banks from lawsuit.

+1

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 25, 2017, 08:16:38 AM »

I think there are nice sentiments expressed in that speech but it's kind of tough not to read that speech as "I was more or less ok with the coarsening of the political landscape when it negatively affected a Democratic President's long agreed upon ability to appoint judicial nominees or a far more qualified Democratic candidate's ability to win the Presidency but now it's affecting my ability to be re-elected so I've decided to quit before I'm tossed on my ear".
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 25, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »

I think there are nice sentiments expressed in that speech but it's kind of tough not to read that speech as "I was more or less ok with the coarsening of the political landscape when it negatively affected a Democratic President's long agreed upon ability to appoint judicial nominees or a far more qualified Democratic candidate's ability to win the Presidency but now it's affecting my ability to be re-elected so I've decided to quit before I'm tossed on my ear".

Pretty much this.  Flake was viewed as a guy highly unlikely to win re-election and funds were being pulled away from him for a re-election campaign.  He was getting pushed out by the GOP so he publically turned on the party but will continue to vote for them.  Just that Maverick John McCain.  Hell talk a game and then vote party line 90% of the time.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1229 on: October 25, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »