Author Topic: Official Music Thread  (Read 53391 times)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Official Music Thread
« Reply #525 on: March 22, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »
Kenny certainly knew when to "fold em".  You will be missed Kenny.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 22, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »
This is a good time to catch up on music docs. I've been saving ZZTop for a while. It's supposed to be fantastic. I'll let you know when I get a chance to watch it.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #527 on: March 23, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »
This is a good time to catch up on music docs. I've been saving ZZTop for a while. It's supposed to be fantastic. I'll let you know when I get a chance to watch it.

I actually watched it over the weekend. I wouldn't be a huge fan, obviously I know the hits and they're a recognisable bunch, but I found it absolutely brilliant watching and a really great story very well told with some great music. Would definitely recommend
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 23, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »

I actually watched it over the weekend. I wouldn't be a huge fan, obviously I know the hits and they're a recognisable bunch, but I found it absolutely brilliant watching and a really great story very well told with some great music. Would definitely recommend

Awesome to hear! Sounds like the office might be sending us home over the next day or two so I'll have plenty of time to catch up.

I was never a huge ZZ Top fan. Like you, I know the hits, but I don't know much about Gibbons and the other band mates.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #529 on: October 03, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
A day late to post it but yesterday October 2nd was the 25th anniversary of the release of What?s the story Morning Glory? By Oasis and the 20th anniversary of the release of Kid A by Radiohead, two albums I would rank in my top 10 of my lifetime.

And until yesterday I never realised they were released on the same date.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 03, 2020, 04:34:33 PM »

Eep, well, hearing that about Morning Glory certainly makes me feel old. Probably on a short of list of the 10 or 15 most impactful albums of my life. Oasis didn't really hit here with Definitely Maybe and I had a British friend in grade 8 who basically smuggled us in stuff like Morning Glory and Blur's Modern Life is Rubbish.

Kid A I've always struggled with. I get what it is and admire the craft behind it but I just don't like listening to it as much as I like The Bends or OK Computer. 
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 16, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »
Listening to the new Gord Downie album.  Amazing he was able to record just a few months before passing away from brain cancer.  This guy's talent is missed.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: Today at 06:30:10 PM »
So completely random thoughts.

I was thinking the other day about bands that had streaks of high quality albums in a row, because I find that many bands usually top out at 2 then start to dip. In any case my thoughts below are obviously defined by my era and my taste in music  but maybe this sparks some kind of discussion because quite frankly I am bored and could use some fun debate.

So the first band that came to mind for me was Iron Maiden, from 1980 -87 I feel that they didn?t have a single bad album killers - number of the beast - piece of mind - powerslave - somewhere in time - seventh son of a seventh son. They had a really impressive run there.

You could argue that tool hasn?t had a bad album yet.

But the streak I?m always impressed by is Depeche mode. From black celebration - music for the masses - violator - songs of faith and devotion. It?s not just that they are high quality albums, every single track on each album is just so good. I?m still blown away by music for the masses to this day, and in retrospect songs of faith and devotion is a masterpiece.

Anyway I?m sure everyone will have wildly differing opinions from the Beatles to the Rolling Stones to genesis. In a way I?m hoping to learn about bands I never gave a chance to before.

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Director of Hockey Strategy in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: Today at 09:33:58 PM »
You could argue that tool hasn?t had a bad album yet.

Definitely. If anything, each release has been stronger than the one that preceded it. Fear Inoculum just grows on me more and more with every listen.

I've always been a big Radiohead fan; I went to the Van Gogh immersive exhibit in the summer with their "distancing" protocols, and Thom Yorke did some of the soundtrack. It was wonderful.

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: Today at 10:36:13 PM »
I'm just gonna go ahead and do a unabashed Beatles take. I don't listen to them like I used to when I was discovering all the old school rock/folk/pop artists, but I mean did anyone match their sheer volume & quality in such a short period of time? The early releases were good but if you just go from 1965-1970 they released 9 studio albums (8 if you exclude Yellow Submarine) in some years they had two albums in the same freaking year. I noodle around on instruments and it's tough coming up with one great track, let alone that many.

Also speaking of Genesis, I think they were Geniuses more for how important they were in the world of progressive rock (Peter Gabriel era all the way).
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender