Author Topic: The Official Movie Thread  (Read 102816 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1140 on: March 14, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
That’s my daily inner turmoil: trying to stand out or fit in

Just remember that the real Supreme Intelligence is the friends we make along the way.

Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1140 on: March 14, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1141 on: March 27, 2019, 10:00:10 AM »
Wasn't sure if this fell under Movie, TV or Music thread as it's on Netflix but it's 90 minutes long soooo

The Dirt

The biopic of Motley Crue in the 1980s and 1990s. If you think of all the most hedonistic heavy metal band stories you heard from back then, they're probably in this movie. It's absolutely mad from the opening scene with a "cameo"* from Ozzy Osbourne that is particularly memorable

But they also touch on some pretty weighty subjects such as Heroin addiction.

It's done in a light hearted way, and more of a celebration of the lifestyle, and it probably won't go down too well with the Me Too movement. But I enjoyed it and as a representation of the times I suspect it's pretty accurate...

*Not the actual Ozzy, alas
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 27, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
Wasn't sure if this fell under Movie, TV or Music thread as it's on Netflix but it's 90 minutes long soooo

The Dirt

The biopic of Motley Crue in the 1980s and 1990s. If you think of all the most hedonistic heavy metal band stories you heard from back then, they're probably in this movie. It's absolutely mad from the opening scene with a "cameo"* from Ozzy Osbourne that is particularly memorable

But they also touch on some pretty weighty subjects such as Heroin addiction.

It's done in a light hearted way, and more of a celebration of the lifestyle, and it probably won't go down too well with the Me Too movement. But I enjoyed it and as a representation of the times I suspect it's pretty accurate...

*Not the actual Ozzy, alas

The book was fantastic. I haven't had the kids out of the house long enough to even consider taking in the movie.

The Heroin Diaries is an even better book about Sixx's battle with addiction.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 27, 2019, 05:30:25 PM »

I saw it and to the movie's credit they don't spend much time trying to lionize the band or their music(Hair Metal isn't my thing but I'm not even sure where they rank in that genre's firmament). In fact, there's really not a lot of music in the movie at all. I thought the performances were pretty good with whatshisname from Game of Thrones being particularly good as their guitarist.

Where I think the movie was a bit of a let down was with the supposed debauchery. I'm not sure it was as ridiculous as it was presented as. Outside of the scene with Ozzy, I'm not sure that what they got up to amounted to much more than trashing hotel rooms, downing copious amounts of drugs/alcohol and having sex with groupies. While I'm sure that was loads of fun it also sort of reads as pretty standard for rock bands. It's not, for instance, Led Zeppelin and the shark.

I suppose a point could be made about them kind of glossing over the fact that their drummer has a history of smacking around the women in his life, which feels like a bigger thing than just some #MeToo inspired political correctness, but if anything my main beef with the movie is that I wasn't particularly offended by anything which sort of raises the question of what the point of the movie is.
-Karl Marx

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 27, 2019, 10:08:26 PM »

I saw it and to the movie's credit they don't spend much time trying to lionize the band or their music(Hair Metal isn't my thing but I'm not even sure where they rank in that genre's firmament). In fact, there's really not a lot of music in the movie at all. I thought the performances were pretty good with whatshisname from Game of Thrones being particularly good as their guitarist.

Where I think the movie was a bit of a let down was with the supposed debauchery. I'm not sure it was as ridiculous as it was presented as. Outside of the scene with Ozzy, I'm not sure that what they got up to amounted to much more than trashing hotel rooms, downing copious amounts of drugs/alcohol and having sex with groupies. While I'm sure that was loads of fun it also sort of reads as pretty standard for rock bands. It's not, for instance, Led Zeppelin and the shark.

I suppose a point could be made about them kind of glossing over the fact that their drummer has a history of smacking around the women in his life, which feels like a bigger thing than just some #MeToo inspired political correctness, but if anything my main beef with the movie is that I wasn't particularly offended by anything which sort of raises the question of what the point of the movie is.
Wait. What if your sensibilities mean you don't get offended easily? I mean I'm sure some people were offended by the movie, so wouldn't that make it's point with other viewers?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 27, 2019, 10:13:10 PM »
Wait. What if your sensibilities mean you don't get offended easily? I mean I'm sure some people were offended by the movie, so wouldn't that make it's point with other viewers?

Offended might be the wrong word there. Shocked, maybe? Admittedly as someone who has read about backstage culture at rock shows it would take a bit to shock me but that's when I'd go back to asking what the point of the movie was.
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 27, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
Oh hey, Spider-Man is back.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1147 on: October 07, 2019, 05:54:51 AM »
Anyone seen Joker yet?

I thought Joaquin Phoenix was sensational. Thought it would be hard to match Heath ledger's interpretation and while very different, this is very close to equal.

As for the movie I thought it was fantastic, mainly because of the point I made above, but at the same time I can see why people would have many issues with it...
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: October 07, 2019, 11:21:38 PM »
The best quote I heard about Joker was calling it 'Baby's First Taxi Driver'.   It's a little over the top but I liked it.

The movie is good.  It's funny that a movie that is based around classism and mental illness was lumped in with movie shootings and incels though.  It was pretty much the exact opposite cause being addressed.  Phoenix is great, his dialogue is not all that good but that is a statement more on the script than the performance.  Even if you find the first half of the movie a little slow, the 3rd act is spectacular.

Also while on the topic of that movie shooting in Aurora.  The shooter was NOT dressed up as the Joker.  He had red dyed hair.  He did NOT shoot up the Dark Knight to make a statement about the movie.  He picked the movie he knew would have a full audience on an opening weekend.  It's amazing how that somehow continues to be a myth spread around.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: October 14, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
Anyone seen Joker yet?

I thought Joaquin Phoenix was sensational. Thought it would be hard to match Heath ledger's interpretation and while very different, this is very close to equal.

As for the movie I thought it was fantastic, mainly because of the point I made above, but at the same time I can see why people would have many issues with it...
Just saw it,  Joaquin is Oscar bound..scary stuff
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1149 on: October 14, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »