Author Topic: Useless Thread  (Read 140230 times)

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
Re: Useless Thread
« Reply #1710 on: January 16, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
Parliament CAN override a referendum - a referendum isn't binding, it's only advisory. But 2 years ago the Conservative party said they would fulfil the wishes of the referendum so they would be unlikely to do that as it would likely cost them votes in future general elections.

That's why a new referendum might be called - a different result would get them out of that particular mess.

There is some push for a new referendum but in all honesty I think the appetite is more along the lines of most people are sick of it and "just get Brexit done now". It's dragged on for 2 years and there are multiple other issues that have been ignored because of it.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1710 on: January 16, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 16, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »
Parliament CAN override a referendum - a referendum isn't binding, it's only advisory. But 2 years ago the Conservative party said they would fulfil the wishes of the referendum so they would be unlikely to do that as it would likely cost them votes in future general elections.

That's why a new referendum might be called - a different result would get them out of that particular mess.

There is some push for a new referendum but in all honesty I think the appetite is more along the lines of most people are sick of it and "just get Brexit done now". It's dragged on for 2 years and there are multiple other issues that have been ignored because of it.

The thing that strikes me as really crazy, not that the whole thing isn't crazy, is that the far-right wing of the Tory party and how they're playing it. They led a no-confidence vote against Theresa May in December and voted against the Brexit deal but then supported her unanimously in today's vote of no-confidence in the Government. Because May has already said she won't be leading the Tories into a new election, voting against her today would have been the far-right's chance to get one of their own Hard Brexit types as Prime Minister.

Of course, the problem there is that I think they know that if they go into a General Election actually campaigning on No-Deal Brexit and with someone like Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg as Leader they'd probably lose the election. So rather than risk that, they backed May today.

But I don't really see where that gets them. May is almost certainly going to try to make an appeal to Labour to get them behind a renegotiated deal rather than give the hard-right what they want so by not getting rid of May, they'll probably get a softer Brexit than the one they just voted against.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1712 on: January 16, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
Yup. This whole thing is pretty much an internal Conservative party dispute being played out. The original referendum was a policy by Cameron to placate those far right wing in the party and prevent them losing ground to the UK Independence Party.

Cameron never expected to lose. But a combination of their own austerity policies and apparent external meddling in the vote leave campaigning (sound familiar to any other big recent Western democracy election of a similar time?) led to an unexpected result.

And then of course May has been trying to play to the right of the party by promising this clean break of leaving the customs Union and free market. Which of course doesn't fit with the EU border in Ireland.

I see she has tonight asked for leaders of other parties to build a cross party working group type response so we'll see what happens next... Cos honestly it could be anything.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 20, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
Lights and sirens.   Pull to the side of the road.   This has not been a good work weekend but on my 5th EMS transfer we have had 4 cars not pull off to the shoulder when we are going Code 4.

Be responsible.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1713 on: January 20, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »