Author Topic: So, about Phil Kessel...  (Read 45680 times)

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
Re: So, about Phil Kessel...
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
Without wanting to go off topic, I really don't like this talk of us being open to trading #4 as per the link in the previous post.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
Without wanting to go off topic, I really don't like this talk of us being open to trading #4 as per the link in the previous post.

Every year teams with high picks who aren't slotted to take McDavid/Eichel types say that they're open to moving down, but it very rarely happens.

Online Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »

I don't get why teams make proclamations like this when 98% of the time it never comes about. 

However, if the Leafs have a guy rated higher than most and feel he'll go a spot or two lower, or are indifferent towards two or three players and would be satisfied with either/any of them, it is worth exploring trading down to extract another asset while still drafting a player they covet.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »

Why? The team should be open to anything. What if Florida decided to offer Ekblad and the #11 pick? I mean they won't, but the Leafs would be crazy not to put it out there that if a team lost their mind and wanted to offer way too much to trade into the top 5 that they should give the Leafs a call.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline pnjunction

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 11, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
Trading him is certainly on the table but IMO unless the return is huge it really feels like selling low right now.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 11, 2015, 08:29:19 PM »
I would find it hilarious if the Leafs went "off the board" with #4. The rage on this site and in the city would be something to behold.

Offline Sudafederov

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 11, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »
I would find it hilarious if the Leafs went "off the board" with #4. The rage on this site and in the city would be something to behold.

Reminds me of when Carey Price got drafted.

https://youtu.be/WLNOtoJ8vb0?t=53

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 11, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »

Well, I think there's maybe some justification there. If the top three goes McDavid-Eichel-Strome and then the Leafs take, say, Barzal my immediate reaction wouldn't be "those morons!" but rather "they couldn't have traded down?"
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline MetalRaven

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 11, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
It sounds like Dubas and co are "comfortable with players in that cluster" So Hanfin, Strome, Marner one of them is gone unless Arizona goes off board, which leaves really only two...I assume they also mean another player but im not at all up to date on who that might be? That still only realistically leaves 1 maybe 2 trading partners to go down assuming all these players are on roughly the same level.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #338 on: June 11, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »