Author Topic: Kadri Misses Meeting - Sent Home  (Read 16293 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
Re: Kadri Misses Meeting - Sent Home
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »
It's about time some sort of 'rules' were enforced, and Shanahan has done just that.  As we've read, Kadri's lateness is not the only issue here.  Obviously there were other transgressions at play here.

I like Nazem, he has tried adapting to Horaohek's system perhaps better than some of his other teammates, plus he carries with him plenty of talent, which we're already seen displayed as the team's best centre.

In the real world,  usually an employee would have been relieved (fired) of his or her duties, or something thereof to a certain extent depending on the situation, etcetera.

In the sports world, different organizations react in their own manner either via a fine, demotion, trade, or what have you.  Considering that Kadri has been called an important part of the team by Shanahan and well-liked by his teammates, and is still at a young age, the 'punishment' cannot be deemed all that harsh when compared to other situations.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
The lesson seems to be, you can check out on the ice as long as you're on time for practices and meetings.

This really has absolutely nothing to do with on-ice results.

I don't think that's it's entirely related to the on-ice product, but I think it absolutely is being influenced by the performance of the team too.  I mean Kulemin came out before the Islanders game and said that his punishment for missing a practice was a fine and no suspension.  If the team is in a playoff race I extremely doubt that that Kadri gets a 3+-game suspension.

But Shanahan specifically said there were other past things that contributed to this suspension, which wouldn't have been the case for Kulemin (that we are aware of).  Shanahan said that if this was the only incident then it would have been nowhere near such a big deal and Kadri would have only had to buy the team dinner or something like that.

And from the outside perspective, I find the lack of information disappointing.  While we aren't entitled to the nitty gritty.  Is it just a frequent habit of Kadri being late, not paying attention in meetings?  Is he constantly breaking curfew?  Has he done something inappropriate to one of the players/families in the dressing room that has caused a problem.  I just find that with a team with as poor an image as this one has, making vague suspensions just seems to draw in more questioning and something that might be a bunch of minor infractions is just going to draw a bunch of questioning to an already poisoned lockerroom.

And to be honest, if it was needing this kind of punishment, why not just come out and let it be known rather than suspend him for the Islanders game...then wait until this morning to suspend him more.  It just repopulates a story that could potentially be over and done with.

I basically agree with all of this. In theory, suspending a guy for breaking team rules is fine. But to begin with one game, making Kadri talk to the media on that basis, and then escalate it later without warming, has the effect of throwing your player under the bus and undermining an already terrible dressing room situation.

In the wake of the Phaneuf-Lupul scandal, feeding the media with more vaguely worded innuendo about your players does nothing but make a bad situation worse. It reeks of mismanagement.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »
I basically agree with all of this. In theory, suspending a guy for breaking team rules is fine. But to begin with one game, making Kadri talk to the media on that basis, and then escalate it later without warming, has the effect of throwing your player under the bus and undermining an already terrible dressing room situation.

In the wake of the Phaneuf-Lupul scandal, feeding the media with more vaguely worded innuendo about your players does nothing but make a bad situation worse. It reeks of mismanagement.

Except we don't know what went on between Kadri and the team between that initial suspension and now.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »

The lesson seems to be, you can check out on the ice as long as you're on time for practices and meetings.

I don't think that's it's entirely related to the on-ice product, but I think it absolutely is being influenced by the performance of the team too.  I mean Kulemin came out before the Islanders game and said that his punishment for missing a practice was a fine and no suspension.  If the team is in a playoff race I extremely doubt that that Kadri gets a 3+-game suspension.

But Shanahan specifically said there were other past things that contributed to this suspension, which wouldn't have been the case for Kulemin (that we are aware of).  Shanahan said that if this was the only incident then it would have been nowhere near such a big deal and Kadri would have only had to buy the team dinner or something like that.

And from the outside perspective, I find the lack of information disappointing.  While we aren't entitled to the nitty gritty.  Is it just a frequent habit of Kadri being late, not paying attention in meetings?  Is he constantly breaking curfew?  Has he done something inappropriate to one of the players/families in the dressing room that has caused a problem.  I just find that with a team with as poor an image as this one has, making vague suspensions just seems to draw in more questioning and something that might be a bunch of minor infractions is just going to draw a bunch of questioning to an already poisoned lockerroom.

And to be honest, if it was needing this kind of punishment, why not just come out and let it be known rather than suspend him for the Islanders game...then wait until this morning to suspend him more.  It just repopulates a story that could potentially be over and done with.

Agreed.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »

And going into details about Kadri's issues likely does nothing but drag Nazem through the mud even more than they have to. I'm sure the Leafs are much more concerned about Kadri's future than they are with their image right now.

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
I do find it a little odd that they first announced one game, now have re-announced as "at least 2 more games". Sounds almost like they're asking Kadri to change something immediately and will base the exact suspension length on how he responds.

Then again, Shanahan always seemed to enjoy suspending Leaf players when he was the league's discipline czar, perhaps he just misses that.

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »

We also have no idea what his other offences were and how serious they were.

I'm guessing that if they were serious he would've already been a scratch.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »
I do find it a little odd that they first announced one game, now have re-announced as "at least 2 more games". Sounds almost like they're asking Kadri to change something immediately and will base the exact suspension length on how he responds.

To be clear, the Leafs never actually originally said how many games Kadri would be sitting. Maybe they just felt that they shouldn't rush into any punishments and it took them some time to ultimately decide how many games he'd be out.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
Oh good.  I was hoping to see people passing judgment on the team without knowing anything about what Kadri has done.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »

I disagree. I think these issues are team issues and there should be no obligation to discuss them in the media. There are perhaps some advantages to discussing them, but I personally have zero interest in the reason for the suspension. I think because of the current situation it's even less important to discuss.

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
Did Kadri go Full Tlusty?

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, and I missed it in earlier coverage:

During Shanahan’s rookie season (1987-88), New Jersey uberboss Lou Lamoriello suspended him three games for lateness. The Hall of Famer never forgot it. He referenced it when making the announcement.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-shanahan-never-forgot-suspension/

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »
I can't really recall any incidents of good young players being scratched (on a horrific team)for lack of professionalism. For bad play, lack a defensive awareness type things, sure, a game here a game there. Multiple games in a row? Again, nothing comes to mind, and I follow a lot of the league through fantasy everyday.

To circle back to this, probably won't be exact examples, but see my post above about Shanahan as a rookie as well as some more recent examples (again from the above-linked Friedman article):

Joffrey Lupul admitted Monday he was once benched for a game while with Anaheim under similar circumstances, but no one knew.

Last night, the Dallas Stars sat Cody Eakin for disciplinary reasons in Philadelphia. Lindy Ruff and Jim Nill declined further comment, saying it was dealt with internally. Barely a peep. Eakin should send a gift basket.

One coach texted, “This happens more often than you think. The coaches are constantly trying to protect the players, but also have accountability… which is a very, very hard balance.”

They’ve spent a lot effort on Kadri. Ron Wilson would never comment about it, but players used to say he would constantly meet privately with him, trying to explain the opportunity he had to be successful in Toronto if he took on- and off-ice work more seriously. Dallas Eakins was harder on him in the AHL than any other player, for the same reason.

Also, that Ron Wilson stuff is totally new considering the heat he took for being tough on Kadri.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2015, 04:02:39 PM »
I always thought that Wilson got a unnecessarily rough ride with the media here in Toronto...then again, I also thought Carlyle got an overly rough ride considering the roster he had to work with. 

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2015, 06:41:50 PM »

To be clear, the Leafs never actually originally said how many games Kadri would be sitting. Maybe they just felt that they shouldn't rush into any punishments and it took them some time to ultimately decide how many games he'd be out.

Just thinking out loud.  Perhaps Kadri has a habit of being late, and has been warned multiple times.  So, they decide to punish him for one game and sit him against the Islanders.  After that decision/announcement, Kadri gets up in front of the media and says (paraphrasing) this is the first time something like this has ever happened in his career.  Shanahan sees/hears that and blows his stack, realizing Kadri has learned nothing, and lays down further punishment.

“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares