Author Topic: Franson, Santorelli to NSH for 1st round pick, Brendan Leipsic, Olli Jokinen  (Read 23587 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Franson, Santorelli to NSH for 1st round pick, Brendan Leipsic, Olli Jokinen
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
I wasn't a big fan of Franson though he'd obviously improved. Didn't mind Santorelli. First round picks are hard to come by - particularly in a good draft year. Like many, I think it was a fair and reasonable deal.

Even better, I'm glad for the true rebuild. I've wanted since JFJ and before the Quinn years. I hope they stick to their guns on it.

I've talked about this years before:
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/shanahan-should-emulate-wings-in-rebuild-1.208987
A key reason the Wings are good is because they get great price performance out of their prospects ... because they develop them like good wine - let them "age" properly. When they finally come up, they're ready, can really play and don't cost $4 mil per season (because they had one good one).

As rotten as this season is, I think this rebuild is great, overdue news. In time, it won't be as hard to cheer for an organization doing things right. Doesn't guarantee a Cup but there's a better chance they'll get a number of good runs at it and be more consistently respectable - and you usually have to do that if you're ever going to have a parade.

^ This was precisely what I hoped for when the offseason management moves were made. I hope they actually follow through now that ownership has committed to rebuild, rather than trying to buy our way into nearly-almost-winning-but-failing-dramatically. I don't mind Nonis being the triggerman on player moves, as he has a lot of buffer from making Clarksons mistakes: Dubas to identify gaps in the numbers and eke out value from market weakspots; Hunter to ID player template to target; Pridham to make sure the salary is sound; Nonis as the meat puppet with networking.

TMLfans.ca

Re: Franson, Santorelli to NSH for 1st round pick, Brendan Leipsic, Olli Jokinen
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »

Online Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
I think Bozak is definetly on the way out, may go with Winneck in a package a la Franson/Santorelli deal.

Yeah I based my earlier question re keeping Jokinen as a top line centre on assuming that Bozak would be gone.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2015, 06:29:21 PM »
You say keep jokinen as if he has any interest in signing with the leafs.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
Can we live with Kadri, Holland, Strome and Carrick/McKegg as our Centres. Perhaps a veteran presense like Ollie would be good to have
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
Can we live with Kadri, Holland, Strome and Carrick/McKegg as our Centres. Perhaps a veteran presense like Ollie would be good to have

Gauthier?  Nylander? (or is he more of a winger?)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
Gauthier, needs a least two years with the Marlies and Nylander will be a winger (more than likely).
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »
Gauthier, needs a least two years with the Marlies and Nylander will be a winger (more than likely).

two years is fine. It is going to take that long to clear up the majority of this mess Nonis has made.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »

two years is fine. It is going to take that long to clear up the majority of this mess Nonis has made.

And boy what a mess he made!

Offline Crucialness Key

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »
Gauthier, needs a least two years games with the Marlies and Nylander will be a winger multiple Conn Smythe trophy winner (more than likely).

;D ;D ;D

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2015, 06:20:41 PM »
Looking at what the Hurricanes got for Sekerac, I think the Leafs may have undersold on Franson and Santorelli.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:01 PM »
Looking at what the Hurricanes got for Sekerac, I think the Leafs may have undersold on Franson and Santorelli.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read about that trade, I would think Franson would have been the more coveted defenceman of the two. I am still happy with what we got for pending ufa's but it does appear that they may have jumped the gun a little with that deal.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »
I have a feeling Leipsac could make us forget Cody (who) and Mike (what)?  Supposedly he can stickhandle in a phone booth and plays with grit and drive. Maybe a steal even without the picks.
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »
I have a feeling Leipsac could make us forget Cody (who) and Mike (what)?  Supposedly he can stickhandle in a phone booth and plays with grit and drive. Maybe a steal even without the picks.

I don't know.  With the advent of cell phones, there aren't too many phone booths on the ice anymore.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read about that trade, I would think Franson would have been the more coveted defenceman of the two. I am still happy with what we got for pending ufa's but it does appear that they may have jumped the gun a little with that deal.

I had similar thoughts but then I looked into Sekera a bit and think that may not be the case. He's cheaper for this year by a significant margin which made him a more appealing rental and last year he was playing 23 minutes a night and was tied for 15th in defenseman scoring. His numbers were down a little this year but what he did in Carolina is probably closer to what he'll be expected to do in LA than Franson and Nashville.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
Even better SI. a cell phone is a very small phone booth indeed ;D
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »