The Official TV Thread

Started by TheMightyOdin, July 12, 2011, 05:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

I am enjoying The Boys - Season 3 so far
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Nik

Finally got a chance to watch Shoresy. It's maybe a little one-note but I still really enjoyed it. Hopefully we get another season.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Heroic Shrimp

Quote from: Nik on June 12, 2022, 09:06:58 PM

Finally got a chance to watch Shoresy. It's maybe a little one-note but I still really enjoyed it. Hopefully we get another season.
Thanks for the tip, hadn't heard of it, it was pretty good. Hoping for more, too.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Arn

So Paramount Plus launched in the UK yesterday. It has all the Star Treks which gives it a bit of an edge in this household...

So now we have available:

Paramount Plus
Netflix
Disney Plus
Prime
Apple TV +
Now TV (This is basically the UK version of HBO)
Britbox (This is a subscription of the best British made stuff from BBC and ITV)
Hayu

Then for sports we have:

Sky Sports (has lots of Premier league football, German football, MLS, cricket, the golf majors and F1)
BT Sport (has other Premier league football and Champions League plus European Rugby)
Premier Sports (has international football, the United Rugby Championship, La Liga, NHL, UK Elite League and Champions Hockey League)
ViaPlay (has the European qualifiers international football)
Dazn (some other football and lots of Boxing)

So suddenly if you want access to all the things you might want to watch you've got 14 different streaming options to work with ranging from £6 to £33 a month

Remember when we thought TV packages were bad, or one company (Sky) monopolising football rights was bad.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

OldTimeHockey

I started watching Ten Percent on Amazon Prime out of boredom and I'm actually enjoying it. Not sure how much it will hold up, but it has a dark humour that I like and brings in actors like Dominic West as themselves every couple episodes.

Peter D.

Is there a more awful game show on a prime TV slot than You Bet Your Life with Jay Leno and Kevin Eubanks?

Arn

Having complained about having so many streaming services to choose from with the launch of Paramount Plus in the UK, now I'm keeping it to watch Strange New Worlds. Really fun Star Trek.

(Also Cheers for nostalgia purposes)
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Groundskeeper Willie

Quote from: Arn on July 14, 2022, 03:43:29 PM
Having complained about having so many streaming services to choose from with the launch of Paramount Plus in the UK, now I'm keeping it to watch Strange New Worlds. Really fun Star Trek.

Strange New Worlds really is quite enjoyable. I grew up loving TNG and really got into TOS after the fact but the new stuff (even Picard) just hasn't done it for me. Strange New Worlds is the first new Trek I've liked in a long time and I'm really glad it's doing well and they're keeping it going.

L K

I'm really enjoying the 3rd season of The Orville.

Significantly Insignificant

Quote from: Groundskeeper Willie on July 14, 2022, 04:03:30 PM

Strange New Worlds really is quite enjoyable. I grew up loving TNG and really got into TOS after the fact but the new stuff (even Picard) just hasn't done it for me. Strange New Worlds is the first new Trek I've liked in a long time and I'm really glad it's doing well and they're keeping it going.

I agree.  Strange new worlds is my favourite of all the new trek shows.  There is something about it that just feels close to TOS.
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan

bustaheims

Quote from: L K on July 14, 2022, 04:13:12 PM
I'm really enjoying the 3rd season of The Orville.

I've enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. Has a strong TNG feel to it, but with a little more fun and, in some ways, realism (or, maybe just more reflective of the world today). When Seth McFarlane can't rely as heavily of referential humour, running gags, etc., he can actually create a quality product. You can tell he really admires the material he's spoofing/creating an homage of.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Groundskeeper Willie

Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on July 14, 2022, 04:19:42 PM

I agree.  Strange new worlds is my favourite of all the new trek shows.  There is something about it that just feels close to TOS.
For sure, and it's not just the stand alone stories each episode. Even the characters and plots feel more like TOS and TNG. It doesn't take itself too seriously but still holds to Trek's core values of hope and moral stories.

Bender

Welp, Severence is amazing and I don't know why I put it off.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

bustaheims

Quote from: Bender on July 14, 2022, 06:09:37 PM
Welp, Severence is amazing and I don't know why I put it off.

Oh yeah. Brings the weird in the best way.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Significantly Insignificant

Quote from: Groundskeeper Willie on July 14, 2022, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on July 14, 2022, 04:19:42 PM

For sure, and it's not just the stand alone stories each episode. Even the characters and plots feel more like TOS and TNG. It doesn't take itself too seriously but still holds to Trek's core values of hope and moral stories.

Yeah, I recently finished all the TOS episodes, and I am now working my way through the TNG.  Planning on doing DS9 and Voyager after that.  Torn on whether I will watch Enterprise. 

I didn't mind the first two seasons of Discovery, but once they did the time jump, I lost interest.  Picard was good, but while I was watching it I just kept thinking "Man, Picard is old".  That's funny though because I was in my teens when TNG first aired, and I remember wondering if I was going to be able to make it through it because "Man Picard is old".  Now re-watching TNG, I can't help but be amazed at that strapping young bald man captaining the Enterprise.  Of course Picard in TNG is close to the age I am now, so it's natural to feel that way.   
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan