Author Topic: The Official TV Thread  (Read 141791 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: The Official TV Thread
« Reply #1530 on: April 12, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »

Also, I guess I'm kind of interested in the board's opinion on this. Right now I have Netflix at 16 a month or whatever it is and I have Amazon Prime which works out to 10 a month and I have Crave or whatever TMN turned into for HBO stuff and during the football season I subscribed to DAZN which I think was 20 a month.

To me, that's basically my limit. 40-55 bucks a month. With news that both Disney and Apple are launching competing streaming services that they're going to invest heavily in do people out there really think there's going to be any appetite for people paying for a half-dozen streaming services? Or is this just the textbook definition of a bubble that's going to burst in the near future?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1530 on: April 12, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 12, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
It's a good question. I have no answer, but have been struggling with it. My wife and I are paying for full cable service and internet and are seriously looking to cut ties and save some money as we're a fairly low income family. We pay for Netflix ($13 plan) and have had Amazon Prime for a couple of months. We're already beyond our limit with all of that. Our next move is to cut cable, though I'm having some anxiety over that. Realistically, I only watch the History channel and network TV (primarily for hockey and some other shows.)

Without cable, I'd probably be in the same frame of mind as you: $40-50 in streaming. Maybe 3 video streaming and a music one? Though in truth, I'm completely fine listening to ads on Spotify.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 12, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »
Someone is going to come together to unite the whatever number of streaming service kingdoms under one united banner.

What I'm working towards is sort of a timeshare with a group of trusted friends: I've got Prime, someone else has Netflix, someone else has Crave, etc. and we pool our respective resources that way. Like a digital commune.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 12, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »
Without cable, I'd probably be in the same frame of mind as you: $40-50 in streaming. Maybe 3 video streaming and a music one? Though in truth, I'm completely fine listening to ads on Spotify.

Yeah, I didn't even count Spotify. I guess it says something that by virtue of Prime I have access to Amazon's music streaming service and I've genuinely never even opened it.
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 12, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
Someone is going to come together to unite the whatever number of streaming service kingdoms under one united banner.

Nah. Or, if they are, they'll only do so if they can effectively charge the same thing. None of these companies are interested in saving us any money.

I think that what's more likely is that you'll get 6-8 big players in the game try it out but only 3 or 4 will survive and gradually get a little bit as they pick up content from the ones that go the way of Google Plus or the Zune.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 12, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »

Nah. Or, if they are, they'll only do so if they can effectively charge the same thing. None of these companies are interested in saving us any money.

I think that what's more likely is that you'll get 6-8 big players in the game try it out but only 3 or 4 will survive and gradually get a little bit as they pick up content from the ones that go the way of Google Plus or the Zune.

That's more likely, yes.

Some services (Apple TV app) are just going to try to mask the various interfaces under their own umbrella and manage your subscriptions with those services in its ecosystem.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 12, 2019, 04:29:42 PM »
I subscribe to Sportsnet Now and Netflix.

I did have TSN GO but just canceled because their NHL coverage is over.

I watch the CBC ap for news.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »

Also, I guess I'm kind of interested in the board's opinion on this. Right now I have Netflix at 16 a month or whatever it is and I have Amazon Prime which works out to 10 a month and I have Crave or whatever TMN turned into for HBO stuff and during the football season I subscribed to DAZN which I think was 20 a month.

To me, that's basically my limit. 40-55 bucks a month. With news that both Disney and Apple are launching competing streaming services that they're going to invest heavily in do people out there really think there's going to be any appetite for people paying for a half-dozen streaming services? Or is this just the textbook definition of a bubble that's going to burst in the near future?

I doubt their price stays the same but at 6 (probably 10 Canadian) itís hard to complain too much about Disney given that they own like 2/3 of all media

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 12, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »
I doubt their price stays the same but at 6 (probably 10 Canadian) itís hard to complain too much about Disney given that they own like 2/3 of all media

Sure, but I haven't seen anything that says that they're going to offer the entirety of what Fox has on their streaming service. I think all they've announced is that it'll be the place for Marvel/Pixar/Star Wars/Disney movies and whatever original stuff they create under that umbrella.   

If it eventually includes things like The Simpsons and and everything through FX and so on then, yeah, that'll be a crazy content library.
-Mark Twain

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 12, 2019, 07:09:06 PM »

Sure, but I haven't seen anything that says that they're going to offer the entirety of what Fox has on their streaming service. I think all they've announced is that it'll be the place for Marvel/Pixar/Star Wars/Disney movies and whatever original stuff they create under that umbrella.   

If it eventually includes things like The Simpsons and and everything through FX and so on then, yeah, that'll be a crazy content library.

The entire run of The Simpsons will be available from day one on Disney+

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-simpsons-streaming-disney-plus-1203187595/

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 12, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »

It's interesting how fractured the streaming ecosystem is becoming.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 13, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
The entire run of The Simpsons will be available from day one on Disney+

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the-simpsons-streaming-disney-plus-1203187595/

As anyone with Netflix knows, what's on a streaming service will vary pretty solidly from country to country. Being as we haven't even gotten a date for when Disney Plus will be available in Canada we don't know whether or not it'll share the US library.
-Mark Twain

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 13, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »
Isn't the difference there that Netflix licenses other producer's content (aside from their own) whereas Disney/Fox owns the content? Aside from previously licensed material (such as the Marvel shows on Netflix), Disney, I would imagine, should have pretty similar content across their regions.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 13, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »
As more and more streaming sources come on board, the mainstays will become less and less appealing IMO. Eventually, all each source will offer is 1980's sitcoms and their own shows. I would think that something like Marvel's selection will become less and less on Netflix if Disney puts out their own media streaming service.

Wouldn't someone like Disney be better suited to allow all the streaming services to offer their catalogue and just take a portion of the business? Or would a series/movie be purchased for a set amount of time by Netflix or Prime and have to be renegotiated every few years?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 13, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »
Isn't the difference there that Netflix licenses other producer's content (aside from their own) whereas Disney/Fox owns the content? Aside from previously licensed material (such as the Marvel shows on Netflix), Disney, I would imagine, should have pretty similar content across their regions.

I imagine it would depend on what other deals were made by Fox re: syndication and streaming rights in other countries before the merger.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1544 on: April 13, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »