Author Topic: OHL thread....  (Read 37524 times)

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
Re: OHL thread....
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »
Looks like North Bay is in a bit of trouble this afternoon, down 2-0 after 2 in game 6 with Oshawa leading the series 3-2. 20 mins away from an Oshawa / Erie final.

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
What are people's thoughts of strome's play in the playoffs?   5th in playoff scoring but obviously is playing 2nd fiddle. 

Is he hurting himself with this performance, such that it is now clearly a hanifin / marner debate for the 4th pick?

Nope.  He's 5th in league scoring playing on a line separate from McDavid.  Strome has played fine.  He's just not as good as McDavid.  If Phoenix picks Marner/Hanifin, I would probably take Strome over whoever is left of the two...keeping in mind I think that Marner might end up with the better career but that it's hard to pass up Strome's size and similar potential.  Regardless of who the Leafs pick, they should be playing another year of junior hockey with Strome being the closest to NHL ready of the three.

Thanks for the response.  So its still a 3 headed race for the 4th pick.  That's good to hear.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2015, 09:55:58 PM »
Oshawa takes the OHL championships. As only a very, very casual fan of the league I'm pretty surprised someone other than Erie/SSM won.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
Oshawa takes the OHL championships. As only a very, very casual fan of the league I'm pretty surprised someone other than Erie/SSM won.

Oshawa is an excellent team - old, big with a veteran goalie.  Set an OHL record for fewest goals allowed in the season (I think it was a record anyway).  In reality, any of those 3 teams could have won and there wasn't a ton separating them.  The way the Soo was offensively, Oshawa was defensively. 

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »

Oshawa is an excellent team - old, big with a veteran goalie.  Set an OHL record for fewest goals allowed in the season (I think it was a record anyway).  In reality, any of those 3 teams could have won and there wasn't a ton separating them.  The way the Soo was offensively, Oshawa was defensively.

So a good defense ultimately prevailed over a superhuman offensive force.

There's a lesson here for #4. If Hanifin is there, you take him. No matter how exciting Marner may turn out to be.

I for one would be happy to build a defense around Rielly and Hanifin, hope that Gardiner stralmanizes, and keep Polak on for two or three more to mentor.  (Would not have Hanifin up with Leafs this season however.)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »

There's a lesson here for #4. If Hanifin is there, you take him. No matter how exciting Marner may turn out to be.

I for one would be happy to build a defense around Rielly and Hanifin, hope that Gardiner stralmanizes, and keep Polak on for two or three more to mentor.  (Would not have Hanifin up with Leafs this season however.)
I don't think you pick Hanifin based on who won the OHL championship.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »

I don't think you pick Hanifin based on who won the OHL championship.

No, you pick him based on the principle illustrated by who won the OHL championship.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
No, you pick him based on the principle illustrated by who won the OHL championship.

What if it's Tyler Johnson or Ryan Getzlaf who wins the Conn Smyth?

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »

What if it's Tyler Johnson or Ryan Getzlaf who wins the Conn Smyth?

I think we can all agree you pick based on the result of the most recent notable hockey game at any level.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »

I actually sort of come down on ZBBM's side on this one. I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to suggest that the value of an elite puck moving defender and the value of a first line centre are pretty neck and neck in the modern NHL.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »

I actually sort of come down on ZBBM's side on this one. I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to suggest that the value of an elite puck moving defender and the value of a first line centre are pretty neck and neck in the modern NHL.

I don't actually disagree with his conclusion, I just don't like how he got there. Oshawa winning the OHL or the whole defence wins championships idea shouldn't be a factor. I mean having an elite centre could be just as important to team defence than an elite defenceman can be.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »

I don't actually disagree with his conclusion, I just don't like how he got there. Oshawa winning the OHL or the whole defence wins championships idea shouldn't be a factor. I mean having an elite centre could be just as important to team defence than an elite defenceman can be.

Unless you believe Marner will be an elite center in the NHL, rather than a winger, you just agreed with my conclusion. Because I certainly agree with yours.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »

Yeah - I didn't mean to sell Oshawa short as some kind of defensive only juggernaut.  They were 3rd in goals in the regular season too.

I wouldn't take too much away from it - junior hockey is so much about what age your group is.  It's one league where "veteran presence" actually makes a big difference because players change and develop so much from 16/17 to 20. 

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2015, 03:04:30 PM »
Nifty Nylander, Alexander the brother of Leafs William Nylander:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=JKgX-HgNLVQ
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:08:13 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:50 AM »
Marner sparkles in leading Team OHL over Team Russia in the Canada-Russia Series:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/knights-marner-taking-his-game-to-another-level/