Author Topic: 2020-2021 NHL Thread  (Read 8099 times)

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 NHL Thread
« Reply #360 on: Today at 10:16:03 AM »
So Vegas did their 5 defensemen.  They won 5-2 against a not-very good Anaheim team.

Theodore played the least ice time at 22:05.

They had a forward Keegan Kolesar play 4:36.   He managed to put up a -2 in those minutes.

I'm not sure I understand having 13 forwards over 6 defensemen even when you have a really strong group of players. 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Today at 10:21:24 AM »
So Vegas did their 5 defensemen.  They won 5-2 against a not-very good Anaheim team.

They had a forward Keegan Kolesar play 4:36.   He managed to put up a -2 in those minutes.

I'm not sure I understand having 13 forwards over 6 defensemen even when you have a really strong group of players. 

Yeah, that's the thing. Even if you want to play your big defenders the top minutes you're way better off having that 6th defenceman in the line-up to ride the bench than a 13th forward who doesn't even seem that good. What the heck are they going to do when one of them gets injured or booted in a game?

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Today at 10:49:12 AM »

I've always found that operating a bench is easier with an odd number of Defense than operating a bench with a uneven amount of forwards.
That being said, if I had the choice between 6 D and 5 D, I'd go with 6 D

Online Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Today at 05:08:50 PM »
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Today at 05:09:28 PM »

So the Oilers are in a bit of a pickle. They signed goalie Anton Forsberg to be their #3 goalie this offseason behind Koskinen and Smith. Instead of keeping Forsberg on their main roster like the Leafs did with Dell they waived him at the end of camp and he was claimed by Carolina (Carolina re-waived him yesterday and he was plucked up by Winnipeg before Edmonton could grab him again). Unlike the Leafs though, it wouldn't have really been a big deal for the Oilers to keep Forsberg on their roster. They currently have 13 forward and 8 defenceman up, so there was roster and cap space available.

Now Smith is "unfit to play" and is expected to miss multiple weeks so the Oilers are turning to 22-year old Stuart Skinner to be their back-up. Skinner had a 0.892 Sv% in 41 games in the AHL last season.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Today at 05:26:41 PM »
So what you're saying, if I'm understanding correctly, is the Leafs might have an asterisk beside "Stanley Cup Champions"