Author Topic: Leafs @ Sharks - Mar. 11th, 10:30pm - SN, SN 590  (Read 13593 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Sharks - Mar. 11th, 10:30pm - SN, SN 590
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
Pretty much what I expected. Leafs play 3rd game in 4 nights on a travel day and Sharks rested. Amazed that people are surprised by the result.

I think people are more disappointed with the effort than surprised by the result. It was an exceptionally poor performance.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline mc

• Veteran
  • get the shovels
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Playing the night before, being fatigued was a factor no doubt. But the reason we lost, the reason we got dominated in all aspects of the game is because SJ is on a whole other level of play. That is a team that could win the Stanley Cup. Leafs had no chance from puck drop.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
Playing the night before, being fatigued was a factor no doubt. But the reason we lost, the reason we got dominated in all aspects of the game is because SJ is on a whole other level of play. That is a team that could win the Stanley Cup. Leafs had no chance from puck drop.

They also did it to the Penguins a couple nights ago, another team that could win the Stanley Cup. The Sharks outshot them 47-22.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
Pretty much what I expected. Leafs play 3rd game in 4 nights on a travel day and Sharks rested. Amazed that people are surprised by the result.

I think people are more disappointed with the effort than surprised by the result. It was an exceptionally poor performance.

Yeah, fatigue certainly played into the loss but no team should be passing around like the Sharks were last night against an NHL team that is putting in a solid effort.  The number of times the Leafs gave up point blank scoring chances because they were out of position was awful. 

Reimer did not have a good game, especially the first period but the team absolutely quit on him. 

Phaneuf better be injured given how he is playing right now because top defenseman CANNOT play the way he did.  He wasn't just having an off night, he was actively detrimental to the team.

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
Why did Carlyle take kulimen  off the Kadri line???????????????

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »

Phaneuf better be injured given how he is playing right now because top defenseman CANNOT play the way he did.  He wasn't just having an off night, he was actively detrimental to the team.

What is the word, if anything, on whether he got injured over the Olympic break?  I thought I read some speculation on that.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
What is the word, if anything, on whether he got injured over the Olympic break?  I thought I read some speculation on that.

He's been held out of a bunch of practices for "maintenance" and Carlyle himself has said Phaneuf's got bumps and bruises.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »

He's been held out of a bunch of practices for "maintenance" and Carlyle himself has said Phaneuf's got bumps and bruises.

Thanks.

He needs to be limited in TOI even more than he is now, then. 

I was surprised to see Ranger up over 20 last night, and a +1.  All of a sudden he's becoming the d-man many had hoped he would be at the start of the year.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »

The stretch from the end of the Olympic break to now is easily the worst I've ever seen him play. The team is somewhat comfortably in the playoff spot. If we want any chance of winning a round we need Phaneuf to play like he was at the beginning of the season. So if having him take a couple of weeks off will allow his injury to heal that's what we need to do.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »

He needs to  sit out a game or two if this is what he is going to do.  These games mean something because the playoffs aren't a lock but the playoffs will mean nothing if Phaneuf is hobbling around the ice in the 1st round.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »

I think the effort starts to decay when your goalie lets in a few softies. Coming off a spirited all-out effort the night before, their legs started to go, and before you knew it, it was over. Reimer did not look good at all, and while he's not solely to blame for the end result, his play certainly took the air out of their sails early last night.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:15:52 PM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »

Thanks.

I was surprised to see Ranger up over 20 last night, and a +1.  All of a sudden he's becoming the d-man many had hoped he would be at the start of the year.

I thought Ranger played a great game against Anaheim, and did OK again last night.  It's nice to finally see that, and I hope it's not a sign that he's finding his game.  The Leafs need that desparately down the stretch and in the playoffs.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
I just watched the highlights and it didn't seem like Reimer played as badly as described. It sure would have been nice to see him make the big save on some of those. The biggest problem I saw was he was much too quick to flop on to the ice. In fairness, this opinion is only based on the game in six highlights though. He surely was abandoned by the team though.

Phaneuf, based only on the highlights: yikes. And I've been one of his biggest supporters.

uh...yay for Gardiner?

Jalili

« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
I'm giving Phaneuf the benefit of the doubt. I think he's nursing an injury of some kind.

If it's the sort of thing that can be healed by resting, I'd sit him out for the Kings game which would give him a break until Sunday to make his return.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
I'm giving Phaneuf the benefit of the doubt. I think he's nursing an injury of some kind.

If it's the sort of thing that can be healed by resting, I'd sit him out for the Kings game which would give him a break until Sunday to make his return.

So if Phaneuf's nursing an injury he goes out and tries to injure JVR?  *shakes head*