Author Topic: The Official Complaint Thread!  (Read 150073 times)

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Temporary Complaint Thread!
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
Clearly, you're forgetting about the Women's World Cup. ;)

The US / Brazil game was decent you chauvinist pig

I fell asleep.

Geezer

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

Offline Bleeding Blue & White

• Rookie
  • TMLFans Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
All these job cuts ford are doing are such bs, they aren't going to solve the problem proportionally the deficit is much higher and all you are going to accomplish is making the services complete shit.  You need to increase revenue but noooooooooo you can't ever raise taxes even if it solves the problem. 

*disclaimer I don't actually pay many taxes at the moment*
"Make your own Luck" - Chris Jones. My life philosophy

Offline chestyleroux

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:53 PM »
$200k of tax payers money to reverse something that cost $410k to implement.

Bravo Ford!

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »

Bravo Ford!

Gravy train!

The Jarvis lane cost $75,000 to install a year ago and will cost about $200,000 to remove.

Sound financial planning!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »
Gas stations, etc. who have a posted policy about not taking $100 bills. So, if I had no credit card and there was no ATM, and all I had was that bill, I guess their options would be that or nothing? What if I said, "sorry about your luck but this is legal tender so if you're not taking it, thanks for the free gas, I guess?"

Offline J-Ho Fan

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
I don't get it either. As far as I know its against the law to refuse legal tender. If businesses are worried about taking fake tender they should invest in bill checkers, train their employees to refuse fake bills etc

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I don't get it either. As far as I know its against the law to refuse legal tender.

I thought so too, but apparantley a retailer is allowed to refuse bank notes:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/count-contre/faq-eng.htm

What can I do if a retailer refuses to accept my $100 note? Can retailers legally refuse notes?

The method of payment (e.g. cash, debit or credit card) used in a transaction is a private agreement between the buyer and the seller. Each has the right to accept or refuse a bank note when accepting payment or receiving change.

We encourage retailers to use security features; this is more customer-friendly than refusing notes for counterfeiting concerns and its also a more effective protection against counterfeiting losses.

There are several reasons why a retailer may choose to refuse notes (e.g. security for 24-hour operations; maintaining float).

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »

Bravo Ford!

Gravy train!

The Jarvis lane cost $75,000 to install a year ago and will cost about $200,000 to remove.

Sound financial planning!

I'm going to enjoy when Rob Ford goes after those nasty summer festivals and bans marathons.  Nothing says successful tourist city like cutting the funding out from under many of the events that draw people into the city.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
I don't get it either. As far as I know its against the law to refuse legal tender.

I thought so too, but apparantley a retailer is allowed to refuse bank notes:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/count-contre/faq-eng.htm

What can I do if a retailer refuses to accept my $100 note? Can retailers legally refuse notes?

The method of payment (e.g. cash, debit or credit card) used in a transaction is a private agreement between the buyer and the seller. Each has the right to accept or refuse a bank note when accepting payment or receiving change.

We encourage retailers to use security features; this is more customer-friendly than refusing notes for counterfeiting concerns and its also a more effective protection against counterfeiting losses.

There are several reasons why a retailer may choose to refuse notes (e.g. security for 24-hour operations; maintaining float).

Sorry, I just had to redo this... The last one was full of terrible grammar....  Too many Coronas tonight!

Anyway, that's just insane. The law states; "The method of payment (e.g. cash, debit or credit card) used in a transaction is a private agreement between the buyer and the seller. Each has the right to accept or refuse a bank note when accepting payment or receiving change."

Okay, so because the seller posts a sign a may or not see or agree to ("private agreement" implies I've agreed in advance) the seller can refuse legal tender? I'm sorry, good luck with that in a court of law. I mean, isn't it rather like me driving around with a sign on my dash saying "Sorry, I only pay for fuel with 100s.. Sorry for the inconvienence." Same thing, right?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:24:59 PM by Floyd »

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:27 PM »
Sorry, I just had to redo this... The last one was full of terrible grammar....  Too many Coronas tonight!

Anyway, that's just insane. The law states; "The method of payment (e.g. cash, debit or credit card) used in a transaction is a private agreement between the buyer and the seller. Each has the right to accept or refuse a bank note when accepting payment or receiving change."

Okay, so because the seller posts a sign a may or not see or agree to ("private agreement" implies I've agreed in advance) the seller can refuse legal tender? I'm sorry, good luck with that in a court of law.

Yes, But I don't know how a gas station would refuse a bank note if you've already pumped gas and it's the only money you have.

But in a convience store for instance, it is legal for a store owner to not take a bank note, at least according to the link from the RCMP that I posted.

And how would you even bring that to court?

I mean, isn't it rather like me driving around with a sign on my dash saying "Sorry, I only pay for fuel with 100s.. Sorry for the inconvienence." Same thing, right?

It says you can refuse a bank note as change, not that you can insist to use a bank note.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:46 PM »

Okay, so because the seller posts a sign a may or not see or agree to ("private agreement" implies I've agreed in advance) the seller can refuse legal tender? I'm sorry, good luck with that in a court of law. I mean, isn't it rather like me driving around with a sign on my dash saying "Sorry, I only pay for fuel with 100s.. Sorry for the inconvienence." Same thing, right?

Not accepting certain bills falls within the proprietors right to refuse service to whomever they choose to. In a sense, once you choose to fill your car with their product, you're agreeing to whatever stipulations they've put on that transaction. If all you have is bills they won't accept, you have, in essence, entered into the transaction in bad faith.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
It says you can refuse a bank note as change, not that you can insist to use a bank note.

So I can say, buy $10.00 worth of gas, pay with a $20.00 and demand the gas station gives me a $10.00 credit on my credit card or other form of payment because I have a personal issue with bank notes that come from service stations? In theory, that's the same thing right? The service station (or anywhere else with this dumb policy) has issue with the notes from the public. Finw so what is good for the goose is good for the gander, right? 

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »

how would you even bring that to court?

I'm just invisioning a scenario where a heated conflict arises and the cops are called. Perhaps I should have asked what a cop might do. I suspect he's say to the owner "just take the $100.00 and shut the hell up" but what do I know.   

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »

It's the same in a sense but certainly not the way you seem to think. If you don't agree to the sellers conditions you can take your business elsewhere. If they don't agree to your "Hundreds or nothing policy" they're free to refuse to sell. Neither of you have an obligation to enter into a transaction with a method of payment you find acceptable. The gas station is free to reserve their product for people paying in smaller bills, you're free to reserve your money for merchants who take larger denominations.

You seem to be arguing that because they have the right not to enter into a transaction they don't want, you should have the right to force them into a transaction they don't want. Not exactly the same thing. 
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »

So I can say, buy $10.00 worth of gas, pay with a $20.00 and demand the gas station gives me a $10.00 credit on my credit card or other form of payment because I have a personal issue with bank notes that come from service stations? In theory, that's the same thing right? The service station (or anywhere else with this dumb policy) has issue with the notes from the public. Finw so what is good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

Again, no. You both have the right to agree or refuse to any transaction.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »