Author Topic: The Official Complaint Thread!  (Read 150120 times)

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Complaint Thread!
« Reply #810 on: June 07, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
I'm not against it - I rarely use plastic bags myself - I just really don't understand how they got there.

They seem to have turned council votes into a "How can we F*%@ with Ford Today?" game.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #810 on: June 07, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 07, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »
So an Ontario Court judge rules that not being able to drive faster than 5 km over the legal limit is unconstitutional?

I'll remember that the next time I get a speeding ticket.

I think the decision only applies to speed limiters.

Is the speed limit not a speed limiter?

I know I'm certainly glad that we are going to have more reckless truck drivers who can't stay in their own lane AND try and race each other to their next destination.  I know that any anecdotal evidence is not representative of the norm, but I can safely say that I'm rarely dodging vehicles that cross the lines that aren't semis. 

The funny thing is, there has never been a study to suggest that a 100 KPH speed limit actually saves lives/prevents accidents.  I'm sure it's true just because a lot of people can't seem to handle driving 100 let alone 120+ as reaction times become more important but I think there is a legitimate case if someone wanted to really fight the legality of enforced speed limits on the highway.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 07, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
I'm not against it - I rarely use plastic bags myself - I just really don't understand how they got there.

They seem to have turned council votes into a "How can we F*%@ with Ford Today?" game.

It's not a good environment, that's for sure.  It's a major leadership problem though.  Ford seems to think that declaring vague statements about "the people", "gravy" and other non-existent vague slogans constitutes being a Mayor.  I think some legitimate good is going to come out of some of the budget cutting (you can always put money back into things later on, but the hard part is taking it out in the first place) but overall he seems to think he is running a town of 500 where the Mayor goes and drinks with the people at the end of the day, and not a municipality of millions that requires you to actually be available to the media, go to national/international conventions of Mayors and other things that might seem like "waste" but are a reality of world.

I found his little press conference that he did right after the Eaton's Centre shooting a perfect example of how he doesn't get it.

1 - The Mayor didn't need to drive to a crime scene to give a press conference.  It wasn't something like a natural disaster where you can photo-op helping clean up the wreckage of a hurricane/flood/tornado.

2 - The conference essentially ended up being him doing a campaign speech about how great a guy he is because he coaches football.  Because that clearly had everything to do with a mid-20s male getting shot to death by an idiot gang banger.

He's completely out of touch with reality.

But hey, it's not his fault, it's the people's fault.  Also, he now wants his vote to count for more because he isn't getting his way because he sucks at being a boss.  Idiot.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:05:12 PM by L K »

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 09, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »
Door-to-door Jehovah's witnesses.

Had this pretty lady come to our door with her son and another friend. Said she was promoting good health. Being the nice guy, I figured I'd just take the pamphlet out of pity. Found out after they left they also handed one of "those" pamphlets. Immediately to the recycling bin it went. I wanted to find them in the neighborhood to tell her off. Daughter wouldn't co-operate to come in the car to come with me.

Offline Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 09, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »

Had this pretty lady come to our door with her son and another friend. Said she was promoting good health. Being the nice guy, I figured I'd just take the pamphlet out of pity. Found out after they left they also handed one of "those" pamphlets. Immediately to the recycling bin it went. I wanted to find them in the neighborhood to tell her off. Daughter wouldn't co-operate to come in the car to come with me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki801ccg9Yo[/youtube]

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 09, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »

Door-to-door everything / anything!

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 09, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »

Tell her off for doing what? It's not like it's laced with poison. You made the choice to throw it in the recycling, I wouldn't really think anything else of it beyond that.

It's not nice that they deceived you, but I wouldn't let it get to you.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 09, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »
Tell her off for doing what?

My guess would be misrepresenting herself as promoting "good health" when, in fact, she's promoting her religious beliefs.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 09, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »
perhaps I'm wrong, but his post makes it sound like she promoted good health with pamphlet and ALSO a Watchtower publication. But it's also possible that she believes faith in God is a means to good health.

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 09, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
Don't ever under-estimate people's sneakyness

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 09, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »
perhaps I'm wrong, but his post makes it sound like she promoted good health with pamphlet and ALSO a Watchtower publication.

If that's true, that's equally dubious as far as I'm concerned. It's using one thing as a means to promote something most people would consider to be a very different thing. It's knowingly and intentionally masking their attempt at proselytizing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 09, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
I always let my 100 pound dog answer the door with me. He can sense whether it's a wanted person: Purolator/UPS guy, friend of my son, Mailman with a pkg etc; or if it's a not-wanted person: religious tripe, door to door sales, and worst of all, those damn jerks with the 'water heater/gas sales" (For the record, you idiots, we OWN our water heater, and there is no gas in the house). And he lets them know. In no uncertain terms.

My favourite exchange ever was the obnoxious jerk who actually stuck his foot in the door when I went to close it, and said something about me absolutely having to hear him out. Then he TOLD me to put the dog in the back. And I said "No, he LIVES here, YOU'RE the trespasser." I suppose I sounded a little scared/ticked and Miko just let him have it, snarling, baring his teeth, getting his hackles up etc. I glared at the guy and he backed off a bit, though he still had his foot in the door. I said "You're a good boy, Miko...Good dog..." and moved out of the way so the dog could advance to the door and I guess the guy finally got a clue when Miko let out a really low warning growl like I've never heard before. He KNEW this man was unwanted. I slammed the door, and the dog got hugs and pats and treats.

If I can see that I don't know who's at the door, I won't answer it, but this was a young guy (didn't see the damn clipboard til after) so I thought it might be one of my son's friends, Grrrrrr,

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 09, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »
perhaps I'm wrong, but his post makes it sound like she promoted good health with pamphlet and ALSO a Watchtower publication.

If that's true, that's equally dubious as far as I'm concerned. It's using one thing as a means to promote something most people would consider to be a very different thing. It's knowingly and intentionally masking their attempt at proselytizing.

Dubious or not, it's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned and the response presented towards the act is excesssive. Don't sweat the small stuff, right? And this is small stuff.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 09, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »

Tell her off for doing what? It's not like it's laced with poison. You made the choice to throw it in the recycling, I wouldn't really think anything else of it beyond that.

It's not nice that they deceived you, but I wouldn't let it get to you.

I know I let it get to me more than it should have. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. Oddly enough, had she flat-out handed a Jehovah's pamphlet, I would have been less responsive. Was a slimy move on her part I found. Maybe that's the only way she'll get people to look at it? I wish I realized what it was just after her leaving so I could hand it back to her. She had this fake "got him" smile looking back.

And after carefully looking, the first few pages were about good health, then all the religious stuff took over.

This is coming from one who believes in religion too. I just don't like people forcing (I really don't consider door-to-door soliciting passing on awareness/knowledge) their religion on to others.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 09, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »
Dubious or not, it's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned and the response presented towards the act is excesssive. Don't sweat the small stuff, right? And this is small stuff.

Aggressive or misleading proselytizing may not strike you as a big deal and, accordingly, you're free to be as polite as you like. I wouldn't presume your view to be universal though.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #824 on: June 09, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »