Author Topic: The Donald  (Read 94116 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: The Donald
« Reply #1695 on: November 12, 2018, 12:30:20 PM »
If Don Jr. is telling friends he might get indicted, and there is already empirical proof of Russian money laundering through Trump properties going back as far as the Reagan administration, not to mention that he walked into office with multiple sexual misconduct allegations... i'm not saying you're wrong, but at some point who supports whom should give way to facts and response. It's hard to give meaningful support to a guy in prison.

My guess is that's the last chapter of the civil war, for better or worse. But it's hardly a situation contingent on the acts being over, as you say. There's plenty to do in the present, and were i still an American resident, i'd be hellbent on pointing that out. With the house, things can be brought to light. Mueller's report is due any day now, isn't it? This is more than ammunition, it's bona fide.

The supporters of this malignant narcissist can do what they want, and it won't matter.

Forgive any typos. German mobile keypad.

Sure, once it legitimately starts crumbling, more and more people will be able to acknowledge what we see now. But, as long as the lies and everything else benefits them, as long as they're still getting positives out of them, they're not going to stand up to it or admit their part in what's going on (if they can ever really admit their part it in). Even when things are brought to light, those in power will do everything they can to remain in power. That's the nature of humanity, unfortunately.

As for the Mueller report, there's no due date attached to it. There's word he and his team are working on something to present in the near future, but, they haven't really given a time frame.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1695 on: November 12, 2018, 12:30:20 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 13, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
Hello Wisconsin!
I was going to do a riff on That 70's Show theme song ('They're all Alt-Right!'), but it got rough really quick and didn't want it to accidentally turn into an anthem.

These are (affluent, male) kids, but it's a whole class (of 2019 per the correction in thread), and this photo was taken (and therefore implicitly condoned) by parents.

Bye, college acceptance letters!

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: November 21, 2018, 08:40:55 AM »

This is in no way a defense of Trump, who as always is venal, corrupt and morally repugnant in addition to being a two-bit conman and a moron, but I do think there's something ridiculous in yesterday's big "controversy" where he basically shrugged his shoulders at Saudi Arabia's killing of Jamal Khashoggi because of financial interests.

At any point in the last 30 years administrations, both Democrat and Republican and Liberal and Conservative here in Canada, have had all the opportunity in the world to not do business with a repugnant theocroacy who routinely tortures and murders their own citizens and Prime Minister and President alike have basically shrugged their shoulders. The Bush administration basically looked the other way at the very real evidence that 9/11 was Saudi-backed in order to keep the oil money flowing. Even now nobody in the West other than Germany has taken real steps to disassociate themselves from selling weapons to the Saudis so they can continue their war in Yemen, one that's causing mass starvation among the civilian population.

So we're supposed to be mad at Trump here because...he admitted to what other, more dignified, world leaders just look the other way at? Or because we're supposed to think that a few hundred thousand dead people in Yemen is one thing but killing one Journalist is where decent people should draw the line?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 21, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »

This is in no way a defense of Trump, who as always is venal, corrupt and morally repugnant in addition to being a two-bit conman and a moron, but I do think there's something ridiculous in yesterday's big "controversy" where he basically shrugged his shoulders at Saudi Arabia's killing of Jamal Khashoggi because of financial interests.

At any point in the last 30 years administrations, both Democrat and Republican and Liberal and Conservative here in Canada, have had all the opportunity in the world to not do business with a repugnant theocroacy who routinely tortures and murders their own citizens and Prime Minister and President alike have basically shrugged their shoulders. The Bush administration basically looked the other way at the very real evidence that 9/11 was Saudi-backed in order to keep the oil money flowing. Even now nobody in the West other than Germany has taken real steps to disassociate themselves from selling weapons to the Saudis so they can continue their war in Yemen, one that's causing mass starvation among the civilian population.

So we're supposed to be mad at Trump here because...he admitted to what other, more dignified, world leaders just look the other way at? Or because we're supposed to think that a few hundred thousand dead people in Yemen is one thing but killing one Journalist is where decent people should draw the line?

I don't generally wade into political threads cause I loathe all politics, but yeah you're 100% right.  Continuing to do business with Saudi Arabia despite all the human rights issues in that country is tantamount to helping them torture their own citizens.  Have to keep the oil flowing.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: November 23, 2018, 01:36:02 AM »
Absolutely grateful, yep, absolutely grateful...

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 23, 2018, 07:24:14 AM »
I was in Arizona last week golfing and got paired up with the first Trump lover I have ever met. I had previously met many supporters and folks who voted for him vs Hillary but this was a new experience. I learned that he is a genius,  the swamp has been drained and the next election will be a landslide???  But the best thing I learned was in regards to gun control. You see America is such a rich place one can be well off as a criminal so folks have to protect themselves. Canada doesn't have that issue as we aren't wealthy like Americans??? Strangest day of golf I have ever played.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 26, 2018, 12:39:48 AM »
Bipartisanship over prison reform.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4918625
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:58:36 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: December 05, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 05, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »
"But what does it all mean, Basil??"
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 09, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
Former and fired U.S Secretary of State Rex Tillerson takes a dig at Trump in describing his tenure working with him:

"...a man who is pretty undisciplined, doesnt like to read, doesnt read briefing reports, doesnt like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, Look, this is what I believe, Mr. Tillerson said in a discussion with Bob Schieffer of CBS News.

Mr. Trump, he added, kept pressing for actions beyond his authority. So often, the president would say heres what I want to do and heres how I want to do it and I would have to say to him, Mr. President, I understand what you want to do, but you cant do it that way, Mr. Tillerson said. It violates the law.

I will be honest with you, it troubles me that the American people seem to want to know so little about issues, that they are satisfied with 128 characters, Mr. Tillerson said.

The response from Mr. Orange Hair:

Story:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/us/politics/trump-tillerson.html

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 13, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »

Someone in this Twitter thread proposed the idea of a Mueller conviction Advent calendar and I think the idea has traction. There are no shortage of options.

Offline Foreign Correspondent

• Prospect
  • We have earned a right to be excited.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: December 14, 2018, 06:00:18 AM »
If Don Jr. is telling friends he might get indicted, and there is already empirical proof of Russian money laundering through Trump properties going back as far as the Reagan administration, not to mention that he walked into office with multiple sexual misconduct allegations... i'm not saying you're wrong, but at some point who supports whom should give way to facts and response. It's hard to give meaningful support to a guy in prison.

My guess is that's the last chapter of the civil war, for better or worse. But it's hardly a situation contingent on the acts being over, as you say. There's plenty to do in the present, and were i still an American resident, i'd be hellbent on pointing that out. With the house, things can be brought to light. Mueller's report is due any day now, isn't it? This is more than ammunition, it's bona fide.

The supporters of this malignant narcissist can do what they want, and it won't matter.

Forgive any typos. German mobile keypad.

Sure, once it legitimately starts crumbling, more and more people will be able to acknowledge what we see now. But, as long as the lies and everything else benefits them, as long as they're still getting positives out of them, they're not going to stand up to it or admit their part in what's going on (if they can ever really admit their part it in). Even when things are brought to light, those in power will do everything they can to remain in power. That's the nature of humanity, unfortunately.

As for the Mueller report, there's no due date attached to it. There's word he and his team are working on something to present in the near future, but, they haven't really given a time frame.
Do we count Cohen's sentence as a legitimate commencement of the crumbling? How about Trump admitting he and 16 key members of his imbecilic cult--sorry: team--had direct contact with Russian officials. It's hard to keep up with the lies, but we are currently in a situation akin to Nixon saying "I am not a crook... ok well i sort of am, but it's no big deal because I'm crazy."

What about nobody wanting John Kelly's job? He's fired but not fired? What about yet another Fox talking head being appointed to a remarkably important (even if just on paper) position?

This is crumbling of the highest order, Mr. Heims, and not just of this cartoonishly incompetent administration. This is the crumbling of America, the denoument after 38 years of some very hard work by some very shady folks in the Republican party and beyond; not to mention the Russian global chess match. People forget to thank Gingrich for his part.

Anyway, of course most people in power want to stay there. Trump is kind of a mole on our consciousness that signifies how deep that cancer is. But it shouldn't be a deterrent to action.

Isn't Mueller's report disclosing itself through actions? Those redacted documents were cute and all, but the waves from Cohen's situation are far more impactful.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:05:08 AM by Foreign Correspondent »
The most disastrous thing we can do is confuse the cause with the effect. This applies everywhere there are people, doubly so in hockey.

Offline Foreign Correspondent

• Prospect
  • We have earned a right to be excited.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: December 14, 2018, 06:08:32 AM »
"But what does it all mean, Basil??"
HELP! I'M IN A NUTSHELL!
The most disastrous thing we can do is confuse the cause with the effect. This applies everywhere there are people, doubly so in hockey.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 14, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »

Wooooooww

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: December 14, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »
Please pitch in fancasting ideas for the inevitable Oscar-bait biopic.

I'll start:
Ben Affleck as Michael Cohen

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1709 on: December 14, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »