Author Topic: Tyler Seguin traded to Dallas  (Read 9935 times)

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
Tyler Seguin traded to Dallas
« on: July 04, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »
Package is Seguin, Rich Peverley, and Ryan Button to Dallas for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:31:07 PM by Jolly good show chaps »

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
Re: Tyler Seguin traded to Dallas
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »
Here is a link from TSN.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »
Are the prospects that Boston got any good? Seems on first glance that Dallas got the better deal. Unless there's the long term worry over Seguin's health.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Are the prospects that Boston got any good? Seems on first glance that Dallas got the better deal. Unless there's the long term worry over Seguin's health.

Morrow has been traded twice since March and he's only 20.

Joe Morrow, 20, was Pittsburgh's first-round selection (23rd overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. The 6-foot-1, 204-pound defenseman spent four full seasons playing for the Portland Winterhawks in the Western Hockey League (WHL), where he increased his point totals in each of his final three seasons with the team, earning 31, 49 and 64 points, respectively. During the 2011-12 season, he ranked second among all WHL defensemen in scoring with 64 points (17G-47A) and finished as a WHL First-Team All-Star. Additionally, the Edmonton native helped lead his club to the WHL Finals, earning 17 points (4G-13A) in their playoff run, which was tied for the most by any Portland defenseman.

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »
So they'll have have to chant "Thank you Kessel!" when Eriksson scores?

Seems a better deal for Dallas to me, but it must be a cap move. If the cap is up next year I'm not so sure this makes sense.

Offline drummond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
Seguin is the best player in the deal. Everyone parties at 21. I would not make a huge issue out of it. Great deal for Dallas.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 05:22:40 PM »
Can we start chanting Thank You Boston when they come to town?

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »
Corey Masisak ‏@cmasisak22 1m
Peverley: "I've heard a lot of things about (Seguin) in the past 24 hours that I don't think are true."

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Great decision by Boson - Holding players accountable for poor playoffs performance.

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
Great decision by Boson - Holding players accountable for poor playoffs performance.

They stole the idea from us.

Offline mc

• Veteran
  • get the shovels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Corey Masisak ‏@cmasisak22 1m
Peverley: "I've heard a lot of things about (Seguin) in the past 24 hours that I don't think are true."

If you are going to make a statement like that, make it abundantly clear what you mean. The word "I don't think are true" still leaves the door wide open and you might as well have said nothing at all.

Jalili

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Seguin is the best player in the deal. Everyone parties at 21. I would not make a huge issue out of it. Great deal for Dallas.

Seguin might be the biggest marquee name in the deal, but he's definitely not the best player.

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »

Seguin might be the biggest marquee name in the deal, but he's definitely not the best player.

At the moment? Maybe that's true, but even then I'm not so sure about that statement. Here's their stats the last 2 years:

Seguin:     129 GP   45G   54A  99PT
Eriksson:    130GP  38G   62A   100PT

Keep in mind that in those seasons Seguin is 19/20/21 years old and I'd guess he saw less ice time than Eriksson. Eriksson's point totals at that age aren't even close.

Eriksson: TOI/G  20:07    *PROD 33:18
Seguin:  TOI/G  17:01     *PROD 25:31

*Production value (PROD): the average ice time per point recorded. For example, if a player is on the ice for 20 minutes and registers two points, his production value is 10:00.

Not a clear answer even when factoring in their respective defensive differences. Eriksson is likely as good as he'll ever be. Seguin should peak in the next 4-5 years. I wouldn't make this trade I were the Bruins but that's just me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:41:40 PM by Chev-boyar-sky »

Jalili

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 02:37:12 AM »

At the moment? Maybe that's true, but even then I'm not so sure about that statement. Here's their stats the last 2 years:

Seguin:     129 GP   45G   54A  99PT
Eriksson:    130GP  38G   62A   100PT

Keep in mind that in those seasons Seguin is 19/20/21 years old and I'd guess he saw less ice time than Eriksson. Eriksson's point totals at that age aren't even close.

Eriksson: TOI/G  20:07    *PROD 33:18
Seguin:  TOI/G  17:01     *PROD 25:31

*Production value (PROD): the average ice time per point recorded. For example, if a player is on the ice for 20 minutes and registers two points, his production value is 10:00.

Not a clear answer even when factoring in their respective defensive differences. Eriksson is likely as good as he'll ever be. Seguin should peak in the next 4-5 years. I wouldn't make this trade I were the Bruins but that's just me.

Oh, without question, Eriksson is better than Seguin right now. Eriksson is one of the league's premier two-way players. Seguin's not; he was literally one of Boston's worst players in their playoff run.

Down the road it'll be different. Eriksson will be leaving his prime while Seguin will be entering his. But right now, Seguin's only better if you look at their stats in a vacuum and ignore how badly Seguin regressed in one season.