Author Topic: Leafs Rookie Tournament  (Read 16696 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs Rookie Tournament
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Just saw that end to end rush and there are some flashes of Kaberle there!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Fisticuffs

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »

Anyone else stand out or is that pretty much it? Was Frattin playing?

I was at the game, here is some quick observations:

Owuya - Played really solid. Looks a big goalie who is very mobile. Looked confident

Gardiner - Actually struggled early in the game, but took over in the 3rd period. Could be a star in the making. Skating is outstanding, and will likely improve other areas of his game as he gains experience.

Blacker - Very solid, not as fast as Gardiner, but more physical and likes to hit. Really like this kid.

Frattin - good skater, and worked hard, but quiet game overall. Maybe has eye on main camp.

McKegg - very quiet, didnt do much in this game.

Devane - good night. Scored a goal, won a fight and spent some time killing penalties. Looks to have improves his skating.

Ryan - reall good game, Leaf's best forward IMO. Works extremely hard and was rewarded with a nice goal. Looks to be the ideal 3rd line checking forward, down the road.

Leivo - quiet game, but looks a good skater and does simple things well.

Nicholls - similar to Leivo, but definitely looks a little stronger than he did last year.

Carrick - I like this kid. Didnt really excel last year in the OHL, but works hard and plays feisty. Could be a good 4th line centre down the road.

Percy - Didnt show much offence, but very composed in his own end and makes good decisions with the puck. Very smart player, reads the game well.

Olden - Big and fast. Looks like he has a lot of potential. Looking forward to see how he does in the OHL this year.

Sparks - Looked shaky early on, which is normal, but seemed to settle and get better as game wore on.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
If you're going to pick one of these games to miss, tonight's might just be it. Blacker, Gardiner, Frattin, and Ryan will all be sitting this one out, making way for Tyler Brenner and Kyle Neuber, Dave Cowan and Denny Urban. Garrett Sparks will play the entire game. Here's the full line-up:

McKegg - Crescenzi - Nicholls
Broll - Heard - Devane
Ross - Neuber - Brenner
Olden - Carrick - Leivo

Schmidt - Percy
Stanisz - Cowan
Clarke - Urban

Sparks

And just a reminder the the game will be streamed on mapleleafs.com on a 30-minute tape delay starting at 7:30pm.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
I saw a bit of the beginning of the game.  I actually wasn't all that impressed with Gardiner.  On the power play his handling of the puck and receiving of passes wasn't super slick.  I hope he played better as the game went on.

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
I saw a bit of the beginning of the game.  I actually wasn't all that impressed with Gardiner.  On the power play his handling of the puck and receiving of passes wasn't super slick.  I hope he played better as the game went on.

He did score two goals and the GWG on an end to end rush ;)

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
For those looking for the link...

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=616&id=122701

It will start around 7:30 pm on that link.
BWB

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
You can tell McKegg has a lot of finesse in his game. Olden not looking too bad. Heard had a couple chances, now has a goal. That's about it though. That was a crazy bounce.

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
It's interesting how generally you can't tell who the touted players are. Despres is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't seen much. Ross isn't doing much outside of chirping. The D has been unremarkable. Not much to say other than it seems to be a workman-like effort right now.

Sparks is standing tall!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:33:05 PM by Bender »

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:52 PM »
What a goal by McKegg. Just awesome hands. Reminded me a bit of Nazem on simple, streaky move.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
Yeah, McKegg has some real big league skill....

Devane was good again tonight, he actually skates really well for a tough guy, or at least a guy that is known for that. He set up the last goal there, but I'm not sure if he meant to, or he was just getting a shot on net. Either way, he is big and he has some skill, not just a brute.

Sparks again settled down and played a really good game. Heard is a good pick up as well, he showed some hustle tonight and got rewarded for it, being in on two goals I think.

The Leafs have some really good players in the system, it's blatantly apparent.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:43:10 AM by BlueWhiteBlood »
BWB

Offline Green Leaf

• Rookie
  • We Are Everyday Builders
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:13 PM »
+1

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »
Yeah, McKegg has some real big league skill....

Devane was good again tonight, he actually skates really well for a tough guy, or at least a guy that is known for that. He set up the last goal there, but I'm not sure if he meant to, or he was just getting a shot on net. Either way, he is big and he has some skill, not just a brute.

Sparks again settled down and played a really good game. Heard is a good pick up as well, he showed some hustle tonight and got rewarded for it, being in on two goals I think.

Yeah, I mean the team just dominated the Pens to no end, and our best players weren't even dressed. It didn't even seem like a fair game.

Now the real test is Ottawa though. They're really coming up big with young talent right now: Jared Cowan, Zibanejad, Rundblad etc.

It'll be interesting to see how Tuesday's game plays out, as both teams are undefeated and relatively dominant.

Offline You're right

• Rookie
  • 🖕🏻
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
I think we also need to temper the expectation a little. From what I watched of the games so far (and it has been limited) the rookies looked pretty good. I am cautiously optimistic - while they looked good, it was still the equivalent of AHL good. Many of them still have a long way to go but I like that we are looking deeper on the farm.
There's valid reasons for the limited interest. Get out of your basement if you dare. The real world will bend you over.
Adios Chachi

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
I think we also need to temper the expectation a little. From what I watched of the games so far (and it has been limited) the rookies looked pretty good. I am cautiously optimistic - while they looked good, it was still the equivalent of AHL good. Many of them still have a long way to go but I like that we are looking deeper on the farm.

Oh yeah, and truth be told, some of them probably won't even make the cut at the AHL level. We're not brimming with NHL ready talent, but there are some bright spots, and its nice to see some players impress. It gives me hope that a 3rd-7th rounder might surprise and come out as a quality player.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »