Author Topic: Islanders prospect Niederreiter asks to be traded  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Green Leaf

• Rookie
  • We Are Everyday Builders
    • View Profile
Islanders prospect Niederreiter asks to be traded
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:09 AM »
SOURCE: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/22/nhl-notes-islanders-prospect-niederreiter-asks-to-be-traded

I would make a run at signing this guy if I were leafs management.

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
Re: Islanders prospect Niederreiter asks to be traded
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:28 AM »
SOURCE: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/22/nhl-notes-islanders-prospect-niederreiter-asks-to-be-traded

He can't crack the Islanders lineup and is already asking to be traded at the age of 20.  Seems very risky to get involved with a player like this especially considering the price the Islanders would expect to be paid.

Offline Coderaspberry

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Islanders prospect Niederreiter asks to be traded
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:36 AM »
I like Nino and all, but there's 3 reasons I doubt the Leafs take a run:

1). Snow has already said "no way" to Nino and his agent, so either it's a non-starter or Snow would want significant assets back.

2). His development has been stunted, whether due to mismanagement by the Isles or lower than originally thought ceiling.

3).  Even if you get past the first two, it doesn't really address organizational need.  Wingers aren't really a problem, even though having good young potential power wingers is never bad.

Like I say, I like him , he intrigues me, but I'm quite certain there's better fits out there.

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:49:45 AM »

You can't "sign him" you'd have to trade for him.

A useless NHL player, who's growth has been stunted and could quite possibly find himself out of the NHL in a couple years' time.

I have no doubt some team will take a run at him (eventually) but it definitely won't be the Leafs.  Wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:51 AM »
The Islanders want to play hardball with this kid, but really, the relationship is over simply because he has asked for a trade in the media. Maybe Snow can calm the situation down, but I highly doubt it, inevitably he'll be traded I think.

That being said, as much as I'd like the Leafs to have another young kid to build with, it's too much of distraction for the Leafs I believe. We won't be in on it, when it goes down.
BWB

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:33:54 AM »
Remember when he had that run-in with Kadri at the World Juniors? They were going at it all game and Kadri made a throat-slashing gesture at Niederreiter. Then he refused to shake Neiderreiter's hand at the end.

Offline sb78

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
If Nino wants to play in the NHL, the only place he'll be moved to is Brooklyn.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
why are people getting angry and Nino.  If your job had a glass ceiling you would start looking for employment elsewhere, same think with this kid.