Author Topic: World Junior Hockey Championships (WJHC 2013)  (Read 28825 times)

Offline Stebro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: World Junior Hockey Championships (WJHC 2013)
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »
Penalty shots between Sweden-Russia...great...I'd prefer sudden until it's over...sweet we made it...facing USA should be tough though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:29:48 AM by Stebro »
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »
Nilsson player of the game today for Sweden? Cool.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:25 AM »
US vs Sweden for the gold?

Go Sweden!! :)

Offline Stebro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
We haven't beaten USA since 96 in this tournament hmm.
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
I know you can't base it entirely on what happens at the WJC but if I have the #1 pick this June...I don't know if Mackinnon is in the mix. He may not be the #2 choice.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »
Waited for rebroadcast for 11am, mom says they lost before I could watch. Angry.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »

Gosh darnit, Bender's mom.
-Karl Marx

Online Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2013, 11:22:27 AM »
What a terrible collapse on the first goal. Absolutely atrocious. They all panicked like chickens with their heads cut off.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Re: World Junior Hockey Championships (WJHC 2013)
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »

Gosh darnit, Bender's mom.

It felt like an All in the Family moment.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »
Plus Quinn is a presence behind the bench. I'm convinced these players don't even pay attention to the coach. Quinn is a pretty hard guy to ignore.

Exactly.  You don't mess around on Quinn, not for a second.  That said, the kids who played for him all said he was an amazing coach and really good to him - probably because they didn't mess around on him. :)

His style is the right one to have in this tournament.  He likes the offense to play almost run and gun, and gets his defesne engaged in the attack .. I think a little too much for the NHL now but perfect for international tournaments.  His success demonstrated he could get a bunch of teenagers ready to play in a big hurry and on a short run like this, keep them engaged and motivated. 

no coincidence the last two times Canada won gold, Quinn was coach. They haven't won gold since.

Perhaps find out if Quinn wants to before we book every Christmas/holiday period for the rest of his life to coach juniors?  ;)

Online Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Re: World Junior Hockey Championships (WJHC 2013)
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
Plus Quinn is a presence behind the bench. I'm convinced these players don't even pay attention to the coach. Quinn is a pretty hard guy to ignore.

Exactly.  You don't mess around on Quinn, not for a second.  That said, the kids who played for him all said he was an amazing coach and really good to him - probably because they didn't mess around on him. :)

His style is the right one to have in this tournament.  He likes the offense to play almost run and gun, and gets his defesne engaged in the attack .. I think a little too much for the NHL now but perfect for international tournaments.  His success demonstrated he could get a bunch of teenagers ready to play in a big hurry and on a short run like this, keep them engaged and motivated. 

no coincidence the last two times Canada won gold, Quinn was coach. They haven't won gold since.

What I don't understand is why they split Ouellette and Reilly when he served as catalysts before.

Seems like a comedy of errors really. Imagine the team without guys like Strome, Scheifele and RNH? Wed probably be lucky to be top 4 and if we were wed be 4th easily.

Jalili

« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
I know you can't base it entirely on what happens at the WJC but if I have the #1 pick this June...I don't know if Mackinnon is in the mix. He may not be the #2 choice.

It seems like that kind of draft year where there's a top tier of 5 or 6 guys but no standout or marquee guy.. yet.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »

It seems like that kind of draft year where there's a top tier of 5 or 6 guys but no standout or marquee guy.. yet.

I disagree. I think, and again this is based on not a ton of information, that Seth Jones looks like a pretty clear cut #1 at this point.
-Karl Marx

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »
So I haven't watched any of the games....  How did Rielly play?

And, on a side note, once again the geniuses at THN blow the WJC progno.  They had Canada as a lock for gold and pronounced the Swedes "dogs."

Online Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
"@markhmasters: Spott didn't offer a fiery pre-game speech bc didn't want to change routine; says that may have been a mistake; ditto for day off on Tuesday"

The hell??