Author Topic: Smoke signals?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke signals?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
It fascinates me that these 75+ year olds are up for the grind of being Pope and all that comes with it.

i think it's that way intentionally ..a safety mechanism ...even if the pope goes off the rails...you know..does something crazy like say..gay marriage isn't so bad....they know that time will take care of the problem for them..because as far as i know..there's no way of rescinding his popehood

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »

Offline Justin

• Rookie
  • @justorbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »
Thought this was pretty good:

St. Peter's square in 2005 for Pope Benedict and in 2013 for Pope Francis.

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
In all seriousness, it's just after 2 pm Toronto time on Wednesday, and they've already chosen a new pope. I think this is awesome for those to whom it matters (like my mother in law)..... I thought this would drag on for days... yay

Yeah, I'm glad that it happened quickly and didn't drag on for days or weeks. 

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Thought this was pretty good:

St. Peter's square in 2005 for Pope Benedict and in 2013 for Pope Francis.

This is my pet peeve when I go to concerts.  >:(

Offline TheMightyOdin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 05:06:40 AM »

[/quote]

This is my pet peeve when I go to concerts.  >:(
[/quote]

Im glad I got to experience a sea of lighters during concerts back in the day. I'm not a fan of the screens at concerts either.

Metallica, Fade to Black, in Maple Leaf Gardens in 91 was one of the best ones I can remember.
The Catalyst?

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »
If it's the Canadian guy from Quebec he better not come out in a Habs jersey.
I'm sure the second coming of Jesus in his Leaf's jersey would straighten that all out.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline TheMightyOdin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
If it's the Canadian guy from Quebec he better not come out in a Habs jersey.
I'm sure the second coming of Jesus in his Leaf's jersey would straighten that all out.

Jesus did walk on water. Maybe it was frozen. We should draft him.
The Catalyst?

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
I'm actually glad that Cardinal Quellet was not chosen as Pope, even though rumoured reports indicated thst his name was high on the vote list.  Quellet was deemed more like another Benedict -- introverted, and not without his own set of (battling) controversies.

Pope Francis was probably the best of the choices, a man of the people and a friend of the poor, a humble individual with good qualities and values nonetheless.

Not that I'm much of a churchgoer myself, but, for the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics (of which I am one), a collective sigh of relief was felt when the words " Hamemus papam!" were announced.

One of the favourites will forever be the late Pope John Paul II.  For many, one of the least favourite will no doubt have been Pope
Benedict.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:25:34 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
I'm actually glad that Cardinal Quellet was not chosen as Pope, even though rumoured reports indicated thst his name was high on the vote list.  Quellet was deemed more like another Benedict -- introverted, and not without his own set of (battling) controversies.

Pope Francis was probably the best of the choices, a man of the people and a friend of the poor, a humble individual with good qualities and values nonetheless.

Not that I'm much of a churchgoer myself, but, for the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics (of which I am one), a collective sigh of relief was felt when the words " Hamemus papam!" were announced.

One of the favourites will forever be the late Pope John Paul II.  For many, one of the least favourite will no doubt have been Pope
Benedict.

I like the new guy so far, he cracked a joke first thing as he addressed the crowd.  He seems like an easy going kind of Pope.

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 10:26:10 AM »

Benedict.

I like the new guy so far, he cracked a joke first thing as he addressed the crowd.  He seems like an easy going kind of Pope.

Yeah, I like him too so far.  Unfortunately for Benedict, he came in just after beloved Pope John Paul II passed away.  Really, he's the only Pope that I knew as I was 8 when he became Pope, so I grew up with him.  And he was just like a grandpa figure kinda.  I just never warmed up to Benedict from the beginning. Anyways, we'll see how it goes.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 10:26:10 AM »