Author Topic: Leafs offer for Bernier.......Or Not!  (Read 29865 times)

Offline Green Leaf

• Rookie
  • We Are Everyday Builders
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs offer for Bernier...
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
IIRC (and I don't remember the source or validity of the rumor) the Kings were looking for Schenn + Frattin for Brown at the deadline... I wonder if Frattin is still in the discussion.

I wouldn't like that. Frattin is a young Brown IMO, we should definitely keep him.

I agree! Frattin has a lot of promise, and was played in various situations in both the AHL and NHL, and never seemed to fall off...

*Nice to see I can quote others now btw... (don't know if this is part of the new changes)*

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jonathan_bernier/

I never knew Bernier was so skilled... It may take more than Komi... great....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:45:00 AM by armche123 »

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »
I wouldn't like that. Frattin is a young Brown IMO, we should definitely keep him.

Well, a young-ish Brown maybe. Brown's 27 and Frattin's 24.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
He wants results and who can argue with his work to date.

If this board is any indication? There seems to be an awful lot of people eager to argue with the results to date.

Or, just flat out argue.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
Well, a young-ish Brown maybe. Brown's 27 and Frattin's 24.

Yeah, sure. I think we'll get good value out of Frattin's contract also and we'd get to keep whatever extra we'd have to give up to get Brown. Would just be an impatient move.

If the deal is for Brown and Bernier, I'd have to think about it depending on what we'd give up.
BWB

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »
I don't know, I'd be open to say, Frattin + Scrivens for Bernier + (depending on what the plus was.)

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »
Brian Burke assured me that he wants to win.  He did it with a shirt with the top button undone and no tie and he looked all flustered like he had been working really hard.  He wants results and who can argue with his work to date.

I was hooked by the untied tie around the neck on those crucial days, he must have really been working hard when you saw him...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

Well, fans have been clamoring for more unproven young goaltending.

If it was something like Scriven's + mid-round pick for Bernier, yeah, sure I'd take a younger higher touted prospect to battle it out against Reimer, but I just can't see the guy being traded for that.

FWIW...

No word yet as to what the #Leafs initial offer for Bernier is but source advised me it contains a roster player and TO's 2nd rd 2013 pick.

Lombardi + 2nd.  Sure.  It frees up a roster spot for Kadri + cap savings.
Connolly + 2nd.  Sure.  It frees up a roster spot for Kadri + cap savings.
MacArthur + 2nd.  Stupid.
Kulemin + 2nd.  Very stupid.
Franson + 2nd.  Not going to lose sleep over it, but it would be a case of Burke barking and then not delivering on getting the team a much needed stabilizing presence.

There is nothing wrong with adding a young goalie who was a 1st round pick but let's not forget that he has a .910 SV% playing for a defensive club.  It's going to be a rude awakening for him coming to play in front of the mess that is the Leafs.

Agreed.  The fact that Bernier's save percentage was so far below Quick's and he played so few games in the regular season (indicating a lack of confidence from the coaches) is a huge warning sign to me.  I'm not that well informed but I don't see much of a reason to believe Bernier will be any better than Scrivens.  I guess Bernier is currently slightly younger than Scrivens?  May be I'd do a straight-up swap of Bernier for Scrivens given both their futures are unpredictable?  I don't see the point of also giving away what could be a valuable second round pick.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »
I don't know, I'd be open to say, Frattin + Scrivens for Bernier + (depending on what the plus was.)

+ someone equivalent to Frattin?  :-)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
I was obviously joking about Brown being included in any package coming back with Bernier because it ain't happening. Truthfully, I would have no interest in a deal with Bernier that didn't include Brown coming back. So, IOW..no thanks on Bernier...
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »

I'm not sure it would be because I think the Bernier might be the best single asset in that deal but what do I know?

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »
I'll take Bernier..you just can't get enough talent in the system...Scrivens and a 2nd is fine with me..or Scrivens and Franson would work...we're not winning the cup this year anyways..so it's all about the future.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
I really don't want to give up Frattin in this situation.

:) Yeah, it doesn't move me much. Frattin may not be proven either but I'm not interested in moving him for Bernier.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »
I think Franson would make more sense for the Kings than Frattin anyway. 

brothert

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
Is Scrivens for Bernier even a worthwhile consideration?  Scrivens had a pretty respectable run in the AHL this past season.  He's no Rask and Bernier could be the second coming of Raycroft.  I'd rather keep the assets and scrivens than gamble on goalies again.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 11:55:37 AM »
I think Franson would make more sense for the Kings than Frattin anyway.

It also alleviates the "Players names that start with Fra" quotient in the system.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.ā€ - Khalil Gibran