Other Hockey News & Views > General NHL News & Views

Osgood hangs 'em up

<< < (2/12) > >>

ThatLeafsFan:
Sure, his stats aren't like Roy/Brodeur/Hasek, but you can't deny that during the time he spent in the NHL, he was one of the top goalies, especially in the playoffs.

Congrats a great career Osgood!

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Leafaholic99 on July 19, 2011, 02:16:55 PM ---Sure, his stats aren't like Roy/Brodeur/Hasek, but you can't deny that during the time he spent in the NHL, he was one of the top goalies, especially in the playoffs.

Congrats a great career Osgood!

--- End quote ---

I can very easily deny that. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing. He was one of most successful goalies, but at no point would I ever have considered him one of the top goalies. He had a couple pretty good playoff runs behind some incredibly talented rosters, but, I'm not sure there was ever a series were you could walk away saying he won it for the Red Wings. Like I said before, a very good career for a very ordinary goalie.

Sarge:
Good enough to keep bring back and have success with but ultimately, never quite good enough that you wern't looking for something else while he was there. Chris Osgood - the McRib of NHL goalies.

Nik:

--- Quote from: Leafaholic99 on July 19, 2011, 02:16:55 PM ---Sure, his stats aren't like Roy/Brodeur/Hasek, but you can't deny that during the time he spent in the NHL, he was one of the top goalies, especially in the playoffs.

--- End quote ---

It's actually pretty easy to deny that because during most of his career the top NHL goalies were Roy/Belfour/Hasek.

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate:
Where does 401 wins rank on the alltime list?  10?

He's in.  He has to be.  To deny him the HOF means giving more weight to completely subjective judgments about how much the Wings' success was due to him and how much to the rest of the roster than to the only stat that really matters: the W.  Since the goalie is the most important position on any team, in Osgood's case you can put up all the arguments you want, but at bottom it's indefensible to privilege a particular opinion (which I happen to share, BTW) over his W-L record.  He won the games, he won the rings.  He's in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version