Just for Fun > Non-Hockey Chatter

Useless Thread

(1/444) > >>

ThatLeafsFan:
Never knew the small town I am from, is in the Guiness book of world records for something!

--- Quote from: http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-fascinating-facts-about-snow.php ---
5. The Longest Winter Road in the World

Constructed each January on ice and snow, the ‘Wapusk Trail’ road has a length of 467 miles and links Gillam, Manitoba with Peawanuk, Ontario, Canada. ‘Wapusk Trail’ is the longest seasonal winter road in the world. It even got a Guinness World Records certificate. This type of ‘temporary highways’ have a crucial role in enabling goods to be delivered to communities without permanent road access. Warm weather forces the closure of the winter road staring with March, early April. Air transportation is an alternative, but it’s quite expensive.

--- End quote ---

Sarge:
How did we last a whole week with out a useless thread?

LittleHockeyFan:
where the hell is Peawanuk, Ontario?

ThatLeafsFan:

--- Quote from: LittleHockeyFan on July 18, 2011, 06:40:27 PM ---where the hell is Peawanuk, Ontario?

--- End quote ---

Probably a North Western Ontario reserve. My guess would be quite a ways north of Sioux Lookout Ontario, which is just a ways north of Dryden I believe.

After a bit of googling, here it is:

Fact that will interest you: Its close to Polar Bear Provincial Park

LittleHockeyFan:
it's on the southern edge of Polar Bear Provincial Park which abuts Hudson bay, right on the Winisk River. (thank you google maps)....so, hell and gone way up north.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version