Other Hockey News & Views > General NHL News & Views

2021-2022 NHL Thread

<< < (166/278) > >>

Nik:

--- Quote from: L K on January 27, 2022, 11:24:42 AM ---3-4 year temporary home for at team that doesn't have a permanent home available to them after Tempe rejected their development plan (that was really just a plan and didn't have the financial backing to actually implement it)

If the NHL okays this its embarrassing.

--- End quote ---

At what point do the players, who are "Partners" making 50% of the revenue, get to maybe have a say about one of the 32 teams playing in a 5000 seat arena for 3-4 years instead of looking for a real home?

L K:

--- Quote from: Nik on January 27, 2022, 11:44:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: L K on January 27, 2022, 11:24:42 AM ---3-4 year temporary home for at team that doesn't have a permanent home available to them after Tempe rejected their development plan (that was really just a plan and didn't have the financial backing to actually implement it)

If the NHL okays this its embarrassing.

--- End quote ---

At what point do the players, who are "Partners" making 50% of the revenue, get to maybe have a say about one of the 32 teams playing in a 5000 seat arena for 3-4 years instead of looking for a real home?

--- End quote ---

At what point does MLSE and the half dozen other franchises that are propping this corpse up finally get a say?

The whole reason moving the Coyotes to ASU works (aside from there is literally no other option because no-oone in Arizona wants to touch them) is because Alex Merulo bought the team to get a gambling licence.  That's all non-hockey related revenue.  So the league gets to subsidize the losses of Arizona being a useless franchise and Merulo gets to pocket gambling money.

Arizona isn't THE reason the Leafs are having to pick away at their team but Arizona being a tire fire absolutely is playing into the flat cap.

Nik:

--- Quote from: L K on January 27, 2022, 11:58:33 AM ---At what point does MLSE and the half dozen other franchises that are propping this corpse up finally get a say?

--- End quote ---

I'm a little less sympathetic there. If those 6 or 7 NHL franchises wanted a say in not being materially responsible for the financial health of the Coyotes franchise they had their chances to not support a cap but did so because they thought it'd ultimately be good for them financially. Likewise, if they don't like the approach Bettman is taking about Arizona I assume they can yell at him about it at the next BoG meeting.

But you do hit on why just the whole nature of the guaranteed revenue split was such a dishonest framework to begin with. Owners have all manner of financial interests related to the game that have nothing to do with HRR but will use their team's balance books to cry poor in CBA negotiations.

herman:

--- Quote from: Nik on January 27, 2022, 11:42:55 AM ---I can only sort of speak for myself here but with using my own history of being something of an ethnic minority I feel like people maybe don't understand that, like, instances of prejudice that are commonly experienced by ethnic minorities tend not to be primarily seen through the lens of "Ah good, a chance to teach a wayward youth the error of his ways" and expecting it to be is putting yet another burden on a victimized group. Especially within the context of a fairly public endeavour like professional sports I think the emphasis should probably be more on the "How do we stop this from happening" and not the personal growth of Jacob Panetta. In sports the "How do we discourage this behaviour" is usually about harsh punishment, not a training course on why it's bad to break the rules.

--- End quote ---

This is a salient point. In a slightly ridiculous example, if a young driver (an otherwise an upstanding citizen) accidentally/or negligently struck a pedestrian, should the public and news media be asking said pedestrian to teach this young driver how to drive safer, or blame that pedestrian for walking in the way of the car?

If anything, punitive measures in these instances should target the team: loss of draft capital, forfeiture of games/standings points; it would certainly encourage teams to self-monitor and develop their player pools to weed out those elements, even if their organization does not truly value inclusivity and diversity.

herman:
EKane to Edm, which was expected and embarrassing for the league

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version