Author Topic: 2021 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread  (Read 17667 times)

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 03, 2021, 06:13:02 PM »
Yankees win, its all up to the nationals now.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #526 on: October 03, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »
Yankees walk it off bottom of the 9th. If nationals could do something similar this could be a Netflix documentary in a few years.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #526 on: October 03, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #527 on: October 03, 2021, 06:35:46 PM »
2 run home run for the Red Sox top of the 9th. Ugh.

I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 03, 2021, 06:36:11 PM »
Oh good.  Toronto sports at it again.  Yankees walk off the bottom of the 9th because Tampa wants to pitch to Judge instead of pitching to the game.

Now Washington gives up a 2-run home run in the 9th to go down.

91 wins and you miss the playoffs.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:38:50 PM by L K »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 03, 2021, 06:38:54 PM »
Nice run while it lasted. Too bad the team will have wasted a pair of MVP plus Cy Young calibre performances.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 03, 2021, 06:41:32 PM »

Boy the year it's been in Toronto sports.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Gerald The Duck

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 03, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »
Yep unless the Nats can pull off a miracle that's that. Good run, a very fun season at times but it could've been so much more and the Jays have no one to blame but themselves.

There are obviously many games to look back on and wonder what if, but for me the one that hurt the most was the one versus Detroit (I believe), a month or more ago. The one where Semien botched a routine grounder that would've sealed the win, and the Jays lost in extras.

Either way, oh well.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 03, 2021, 06:45:18 PM »
+183 run differential.  5th best in the league.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 03, 2021, 06:50:18 PM »
Yep unless the Nats can pull off a miracle that's that. Good run, a very fun season at times but it could've been so much more and the Jays have no one to blame but themselves.

There are obviously many games to look back on and wonder what if, but for me the one that hurt the most was the one versus Detroit (I believe), a month or more ago. The one where Semien botched a routine grounder that would've sealed the win, and the Jays lost in extras.

Either way, oh well.

The Tyler Chatwood 5 walk game where they blew a 6-5 lead in the 7th of a double headed would be the one I flag.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 03, 2021, 06:52:17 PM »
Bullpen definitely cost this team a playoff spot. Probably half a dozen games they could/should have won, but Dolis/Chatwood/etc., ended up blowing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 03, 2021, 07:37:10 PM »
You can blame management for not making the playoffs. How many games did they blow midway through the season because of a crappy bullpen?
 Sure they tried addressing it but the pickups weren't of much help. Tons of young talent get rid of someone to address the bullpen. They blew so many games and to be honest it was better late in the year but every time Montoya went to the pen it always seemed to leave you in suspense.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 03, 2021, 07:38:47 PM »
What an exciting season for the Blue Jays. I had a lot of fun watching them this year. Starting the season on a 99 game road trip must have been rough.

It's a shame they came up a game short, but I thought they had a great year under the circumstances.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 03, 2021, 08:37:23 PM »
You can blame management for not making the playoffs. How many games did they blow midway through the season because of a crappy bullpen?
 Sure they tried addressing it but the pickups weren't of much help. Tons of young talent get rid of someone to address the bullpen. They blew so many games and to be honest it was better late in the year but every time Montoya went to the pen it always seemed to leave you in suspense.

This team at the start of the season was not a playoff contender. They needed some work still to get there. You need to calm down and look at this team in context. Absolutely no one predicted or even had an inkling that Ray would have even delivered half of what he did. That’s why he got a 1 year 8 mil contract. If anything management saw the potential and made some nice moves during the season.

And don’t discount that this team had no home field for 70% of the season. That’s not a trivial point. They were being booed in Buffalo and Tampa. The stands were filled with fans of opposing teams.

This was a successful season. A step in the right direction for a young core. This team is trending in the right direction.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:28:22 PM by Joe S. »

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 03, 2021, 09:02:09 PM »
Bullpen definitely cost this team a playoff spot. Probably half a dozen games they could/should have won, but Dolis/Chatwood/etc., ended up blowing.

Yeah, but I bet the Yankees/Red Sox could say the same thing about games they could/should have won.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 03, 2021, 09:15:39 PM »
Tons of young talent get rid of someone to address the bullpen.

Dealing a good young position player or starter for short term bullpen help is the definition of bad management. There are years beyond this year.
- Vince Lombardi