Just for Fun > Ok Blue Jays Talk

2020 MLB Thread

<< < (3/16) > >>

Nik:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on February 05, 2020, 01:20:54 PM ---If that were true, you'd probably see a more significant difference between his home and road splits - especially once you factor in the advantages that Fenway provides power hitting righties and plunking balls off the Green Monster.

--- End quote ---

Betts is a weird case in that he hits more HR away from Fenway but much fewer doubles.

Either way, WAR corrects for park factors so his "value" is pretty static regardless.

Andy:

--- Quote from: Nik Bethune on February 05, 2020, 09:26:11 AM ---
I mean, if you're looking for a baseball reason beyond saving money on the tax, you won't find one.

--- End quote ---

Well it's not like Betts is controllable for a bunch of years. He'll be an FA next year and has made it known that he fully intends to test free agency. Boston is getting back a very good young OF who has many years of control in Verdugo alone. So it's not just the tax they're worried about; they might lose Betts if he decides to sign elsewhere or have to dole out 400 million plus to retain him, which they still can do next year anyway. I don't love this for Boston but I'm not sure it's nearly as silly as some are making it out to be. 

Nik:

--- Quote from: Andy on February 05, 2020, 02:28:47 PM ---Well it's not like Betts is controllable for a bunch of years. He'll be an FA next year and has made it known that he fully intends to test free agency. Boston is getting back a very good young OF who has many years of control in Verdugo alone. So it's not just the tax they're worried about; they might lose Betts if he decides to sign elsewhere or have to dole out 400 million plus to retain him, which they still can do next year anyway. I don't love this for Boston but I'm not sure it's nearly as silly as some are making it out to be.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that the Red Sox not wanting to pay market rates for their best player makes it much better from a baseball perspective. This doesn't make them a better baseball team this season and there's not much of a chance that they will be for the duration of Verdugo's controllable years vs. retaining Betts.

Discussing it from a ...ugh, assets management point of view I'd be careful about repeating anything about a Red Sox player and what he "made known" when local Boston media is notorious for just parroting whatever negative stuff ownership wants to spread about players once it suits their purpose.

Highlander:
I like it purely from a selfish standpoint, it now makes Boston a weaker team which is better for our beloved Blue Jays.  I feel the same way about the Red Sox as I do about Les Canadians.

Nik:

The Washington Nationals, a team principally owned by a man worth 5.3 billion dollars, is slashing the pay of some of his minor league players from 400 a week to 300. Others he's letting go entirely.

Said owner could afford to pay 500 minor leaguers 400 dollars a week for 413 years and still be a billionaire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version