Wayne Simmonds incidents

Started by oldman, September 23, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik

Quote from: Floyd on September 28, 2011, 02:01:07 PM
I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty comfortable with the feeling that there isn't a lawyer on the planet that could get him off a charge based on player safety regadless of his intent.

I'm pretty sure it came up during last year's thing with the Waffles but throwing something on the ice is illegal in most places regardless of intent/proximity to a player/whatever.

The article makes it pretty clear what law he's being charged with. Why he threw it doesn't seem to be an issue.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Deebo

Quote from: Fanatic on September 28, 2011, 01:29:03 PM
How can anyone prove why he threw the banana? Regardless of how it looks, how is this anything more than littering?

They don't have to prove it was racism.

I'm pretty sure that the term and conditions you agree to when you buy the ticket states that you cannot throw anything onto the ice, for whatever reason. And if you throw something onto the ice, the venue can choose to pursue legal action. Since it was a racist act, the JLC pressed charges, usually no charges are pressed by the venue if it was hats for a hat trick or an octopus in detriot.

Manson

How can anyone prove why he threw the banana? Regardless of how it looks, how is this anything more than littering?

They don't need to prove why he did it, they just need to prove he did it.  Whether they're charging him with mischief or trespassing or whatever, intent is irrelevant.

***oops, looks like others beat me to it.

Sarge

Quote from: Deebo on September 28, 2011, 02:10:16 PM

I'm pretty sure that the term and conditions you agree to when you buy the ticket states that you cannot throw anything onto the ice, for whatever reason. And if you throw something onto the ice, the venue can choose to pursue legal action. Since it was a racist act, the JLC pressed charges, usually no charges are pressed by the venue if it was hats for a hat trick or an octopus in detriot.

Not that is matters from a legal perspective but I also think that once a trick is scored, the players/refs know hats might be coming and are watchful for it. This banana? Not at all.

Corn Flake

I think to add to Fanatic's train of thought ..... maybe this guy gets charged with mischief or whatever but if people are looking for this guy to be tried and hung by the balls for racial hate crimes or something, they are going to be very disappointed.   

Nik

People, read the article. It's pretty clear on what he is and isn't going to be charged with and why.

Either way, it seems like a pretty fitting punishment. He gets whacked with a heavy fine and the entirety of Canada knows what a contemptible moron he is.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Deebo

Quote from: Corn Flake on September 28, 2011, 02:23:27 PM

I think to add to Fanatic's train of thought ..... maybe this guy gets charged with mischief or whatever but if people are looking for this guy to be tried and hung by the balls for racial hate crimes or something, they are going to be very disappointed.   

No, he's not facing a criminal charge. The London police says he faces a fine of up to $2000. I think making his name public might be the worst thing that he has to face.

Sarge

Okay, its a trespass charge officially. Still, it doesn't strike me as the safest thing in the world to be doing.

Sucker Punch

Course the law won't do anything, but all they really need to do is give the internet his myface/twitter/whatever account.

Corn Flake

Quote from: Deebo on September 28, 2011, 02:27:29 PM
Quote from: Corn Flake on September 28, 2011, 02:23:27 PM

No, he's not facing a criminal charge. The London police says he faces a fine of up to $2000. I think making his name public might be the worst thing that he has to face.

I see thx.

The twitter mob is going to be very very disappointed in this.  Tar and feathers were being collected.

Nik

Quote from: Floyd on September 28, 2011, 02:30:40 PM
Okay, its a trespass charge officially. Still, it doesn't strike me as the safest thing in the world to be doing.

It isn't, hence the law. Also, I'd imagine the JLC can probably ban him from any future events.
- Vince Lombardi

Sarge

So now he's famous for being a national idiot... and buying the world's most expensive banana. :D

Manson

Nik

Well, congratulations to those of you who guessed a popped collar and shades. You win whatever the pool amount was split six billion ways.
- Vince Lombardi

Michael

Quote from: Deebo on September 28, 2011, 02:27:29 PM
I think making his name public might be the worst thing that he has to face.

Ya I think he would gladly give $2,000 and then some if he could just go back and undo what he did. The fine will seem like nothing compared to everyone knowing his name and what he looks like. If it hasn't already, then I am sure the reality of that will kick him in the ass pretty soon.