Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Wayne Simmonds incidents

Started by oldman, September 23, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

moon111

The construction workers I work with would laugh at this, but none would condone it.  And they would welcome Mr.Simmonds into the ranks if hired.   But he'd never be treated as an equal if they didn't harass him for anything they could.  (And one better dish it back!)  If the guys were going out to the bar, Simmonds would definitely be invited.  Maybe they are jerks, but the onus is on everyone not to take the jokes/pranks/comments personal with people who you know are just kidding.  Everyone gets a chance at being the target of cruelty.  The vibe I get as the world gets more politically-correct, is it's better to exclude certain people in the social circle for fear anyone will be offended.  In a different situation, this banana toss in my mind would be border-line acceptable, but only if they already knew Wayne Simmonds and what they could get away with, if he'd take it seriously, were face-to-face, and were willing to take the retribution that was guaranteed to come back.  I have a real problem with the guy in the crowd.  This was a truly cowardly act from a complete idiot.  Harassing friends is one thing, harassing strangers is just wrong.  This wasn't funny, but that a guy could be so stupid is.  I had two friends/co-workers going at it, both having fun with it, and someone who didn't like one of them got him fired for saying something nobody was offended by.  They can make all the laws they like, in the end, there's only so much class one can expect from places like construction sites and the nose-bleeds in a hockey arena.  Simmonds did an excellent job rolling with the punches and for that I have deep respect for.

Nik

I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Potvin29

Quote from: Saint Nik on September 27, 2011, 12:14:33 AM

Well, nice to see that Wayne Simmonds decided to burn through his goodwill in record time:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7024659/new-york-rangers-sean-avery-says-wayne-simmonds-called-homophobic-slur

How did this come up?  Did a reporter see it happen on the ice and ask Avery, or did Avery just bring it up?

Obviously it is wrong, but I'm going to assume this is a pretty widespread thing that goes on (judging from past hockey-playing experience and reading some of the stuff on Twitter retweeted by Bob McKenzie for example).

You're right

Quote from: Potvin29 on September 27, 2011, 08:45:00 AM
Quote from: Saint Nik on September 27, 2011, 12:14:33 AM

Well, nice to see that Wayne Simmonds decided to burn through his goodwill in record time:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7024659/new-york-rangers-sean-avery-says-wayne-simmonds-called-homophobic-slur

How did this come up?  Did a reporter see it happen on the ice and ask Avery, or did Avery just bring it up?

Obviously it is wrong, but I'm going to assume this is a pretty widespread thing that goes on (judging from past hockey-playing experience and reading some of the stuff on Twitter retweeted by Bob McKenzie for example).
I heard that the arena microphones picked it up.
There's valid reasons for the limited interest. Get out of your basement if you dare. The real world will bend you over.
Adios Chachi

Potvin29

That makes more sense then, thanks.

You're right

Quote from: Potvin29 on September 27, 2011, 09:05:54 AM
That makes more sense then, thanks.
Now I actually see that Dreger is tweeting that there is only video - no audio. Maybe lip reading? I wish I could for the life of me remember where I heard it (but all was a blur this morning before coffee :))
There's valid reasons for the limited interest. Get out of your basement if you dare. The real world will bend you over.
Adios Chachi

louisstamos

Quote from: Saint Nik on September 27, 2011, 12:14:33 AM

Well, nice to see that Wayne Simmonds decided to burn through his goodwill in record time:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7024659/new-york-rangers-sean-avery-says-wayne-simmonds-called-homophobic-slur

Not that I'm condoning it in any way, it's still very bad, but Sean Avery himself has said things that are a lot worse, both to players (the mic'ed up saying "I'm going to kill Giroux", and anyone remember the alleged Jason Blake incident?) and fans (the woman in Nashville).

In one sense, what Wayne Simmonds said was wrong and crossed the line.  In another sense, it's hard to rally behind Sean Avery of all people and say "Yeah, you tell him!"

Stronger Than All

yes, Sean Avery is the morality king.

bustaheims

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Sean Avery has the moral high ground, but, if Simmonds did actually make a homophobic comment . . . not cool, Wayne. Not cool at all.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bender

Quote from: Busta Reims on September 27, 2011, 11:06:37 AM
I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Sean Avery has the moral high ground, but, if Simmonds did actually make a homophobic comment . . . not cool, Wayne. Not cool at all.

Like he's the first one. Avery targeted him because Simmonds looked like a victim the other day and in some retarded form of equalization, singled him out for the homophobic slur.

I'm not saying it's ok to state a homophobic, but this seems so beyond fishy to me. After all this time I can't believe that Simmonds and a couple others weren't the only ones using slurs like that at their oppnonents. Its like once people have sympathy for other people Avery comes out to show that the victim isn't a saint.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Nik

Quote from: louisstamos on September 27, 2011, 09:51:58 AM
Not that I'm condoning it in any way, it's still very bad, but Sean Avery himself has said things that are a lot worse, both to players (the mic'ed up saying "I'm going to kill Giroux", and anyone remember the alleged Jason Blake incident?) and fans (the woman in Nashville).

I don't really think that "I'm going to kill ___" or the thing that one reporter alleged that he said, which he sued over and got a retraction of, are worse things to say.

And it's not about suddenly being a Sean Avery fan. It's about Simmonds being a jackass.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Nik

Quote from: Bender on September 27, 2011, 11:22:30 AM
Like he's the first one. Avery targeted him because Simmonds looked like a victim the other day and in some retarded form of equalization, singled him out for the homophobic slur.

And the fan who threw the banana wasn't the first fan to do that either. It doesn't make it any less stupid.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

louisstamos

Quote from: Saint Nik on September 27, 2011, 12:06:15 PM
Quote from: louisstamos on September 27, 2011, 09:51:58 AM
Not that I'm condoning it in any way, it's still very bad, but Sean Avery himself has said things that are a lot worse, both to players (the mic'ed up saying "I'm going to kill Giroux", and anyone remember the alleged Jason Blake incident?) and fans (the woman in Nashville).

I don't really think that "I'm going to kill ___" or the thing that one reporter alleged that he said, which he sued over and got a retraction of, are worse things to say.

And it's not about suddenly being a Sean Avery fan. It's about Simmonds being a jackass.

Oh, Simmonds was definitely a jackass, I'm not denying that.  But this would be a bigger deal and there would be more of a backlash/response if the player in question wasn't Sean Avery.  It's an awful statement to make, but it's true...

Nik

Quote from: louisstamos on September 27, 2011, 12:21:43 PM
Oh, Simmonds was definitely a jackass, I'm not denying that.  But this would be a bigger deal and there would be more of a backlash/response if the player in question wasn't Sean Avery.  It's an awful statement to make, but it's true...

Well, it'll be interesting to see what, if any, the response from the league is. The NBA came down pretty hard on players using similar terms last year and, hopefully, Bettman does the same.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

oldman

I've gone to over 50 NHL games and sat at ice level in almost half of them. Players on the ice go back and forth with profanity and name calling all the time. Why is this even making news?