Other Hockey News & Views > General NHL News & Views

Wayne Simmonds incidents

(1/19) > >>

oldman:
sad, tonight someone tossed a banana on the ice in front Simmons when he was in the shootout. classy. :(

Sucker Punch:

--- Quote from: oldman on September 23, 2011, 12:36:15 AM ---sad, tonight someone tossed a banana on the ice in front Simmons when he was in the shootout. classy. :(

--- End quote ---

Maybe I'm just out of touch as a middle class white dude, but I didn't think racism when I read that.   My first thought was it was kinda funny, in a Three Stooges, slapstick kinda way.   Like he'd slip on it and go ass over tits.

I didn't connect the dots with the banana - monkey - black dude - racism thing until later.

Deebo:

--- Quote from: Sucker Punch on September 23, 2011, 12:49:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: oldman on September 23, 2011, 12:36:15 AM ---sad, tonight someone tossed a banana on the ice in front Simmons when he was in the shootout. classy. :(

--- End quote ---

Maybe I'm just out of touch as a middle class white dude, but I didn't think racism when I read that.   My first thought was it was kinda funny, in a Three Stooges, slapstick kinda way.   Like he'd slip on it and go ass over tits.

I didn't connect the dots with the banana - monkey - black dude - racism thing until later.

--- End quote ---

It's been happening in european soccer stadiums for years and is quite widley known to be a racist act. On a few occasions people have come to soccer matches dressed in monkey costumes.

Stumpy:

--- Quote from: Deebo on September 23, 2011, 01:04:15 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's been happening in european soccer stadiums for years and is quite widley known to be a racist act. On a few occasions people have come to soccer matches dressed in monkey costumes.

--- End quote ---

I seem to remember someone in Montreal throwing a banana at Weekes a few years back.

Sucker Punch:

--- Quote from: Deebo on September 23, 2011, 01:04:15 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Really?   That makes me sad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version