Author Topic: Training Camp: September 16 - October 1  (Read 31828 times)

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Training Camp: September 16 - October 1
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
Here's a full list of the reported lines so far:

Lupul-Connolly-Kessel
MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Crabb-Colborne-Frattin
Heard-Dupuis-Orr
Caputi-Boyce-Rosehill

Aulie-Phaneuf
Liles-Schenn
Franson/Gunnarsson-Komisarek
Gunnarsson-Lashoff
Gardiner-Holzer

Who is waiver exempt?
All The Best
Dan

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »
Although Aulie's defensive performance was pretty good, he offered nothing in the way of offense.  I could see his stock drop if they're looking for a more versatile blueliners.

That's true, but we still need a strong, crease clearning presence. Most of our D have some offensive ability. Aulie and Komi are the only stay at homes. We have five D with good, to very good offensive ability. I think he'll be ok in a shutdown role.

Schenn is more of a defensive, crease clearing presence.  Sure he has some untapped offensive potential but at the end of the day, he's largely a stay at home guy. 

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »
Although Aulie's defensive performance was pretty good, he offered nothing in the way of offense.  I could see his stock drop if they're looking for a more versatile blueliners.

That's true, but we still need a strong, crease clearning presence. Most of our D have some offensive ability. Aulie and Komi are the only stay at homes. We have five D with good, to very good offensive ability. I think he'll be ok in a shutdown role.

Schenn is more of a defensive, crease clearing presence.  Sure he has some untapped offensive potential but at the end of the day, he's largely a stay at home guy.

Personally, I could give a rat's tush if we ever see that potential. As long as he continues to excel at being that prototypical stay-at-home crease-clearer, colour me happy.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »

While that's true, he's already cracked the 20 point plateau, so, it's not unreasonable to think he might be able to get up into the 30+ point range without really sacrificing the stay at home aspect of his game - especially if he starts getting more PP time (which is a big if this season, but, who knows when it comes to future seasons).
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »

My thinking as well. He's more of a stay at home guy but he can easily chip in if needed. He's not offesnively inept.
While that's true, he's already cracked the 20 point plateau, so, it's not unreasonable to think he might be able to get up into the 30+ point range without really sacrificing the stay at home aspect of his game - especially if he starts getting more PP time (which is a big if this season, but, who knows when it comes to future seasons).
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
Here's a full list of the reported lines so far:

Lupul-Connolly-Kessel
MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-Bozak-Armstrong
Crabb-Colborne-Frattin
Heard-Dupuis-Orr
Caputi-Boyce-Rosehill

Aulie-Phaneuf
Liles-Schenn
Franson/Gunnarsson-Komisarek
Gunnarsson-Lashoff
Gardiner-Holzer

Who is waiver exempt?

Without looking carefully:
Kadri
Colborne
Frattin
Heard
Gardiner
Holzer

I think it's crack the roster or clear waivers time for Caputi & Lashoff

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »

Who is waiver exempt?

Without looking carefully:
Kadri
Colborne
Frattin
Heard
Gardiner
Holzer

I think it's crack the roster or clear waivers time for Caputi & Lashoff

Out of those players I believe only Kadri is ready to try.

Dupuis played here in Moncton and scored over 100 pts in 56 games.  I really hope Caputi can stick as well for he had 111 pts and 107 pims in 66 games his last year in the OHL.  I also read somewhere that Caputi is 215+ now with his 6'3" frame.

Using those 2 guys with Brown on the 4th line should be solid.  If Boyce, who has offense and toughness, and Crabb get the 4th line duties then I feel Caputi should be moved.

I seem to recall that Lashoff was touted as a 6'2" dman with offensive abilities when he was scouted his draft year.  He seemed to add an edge which caused him to be leading the Marlies in pims when he was called to the Leafs.  I don't really know what I want to see happen on the defense.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Gerald The Duck

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »

My thinking as well. He's more of a stay at home guy but he can easily chip in if needed. He's not offesnively inept.

Also, last season Schenn was ranked 78th in total points and 43rd in even strength points among d-men; 22 of his 23 points came at even strength, and the other one came shorthanded.

Schenn averaged :59 of PP time/game, most of the d-men ranked ahead of him overall points had significantly more powerplay time and all of them had powerplay points.

So like cw said, he could easily break the 30 pt plateau with a bit more of a regular PP shift, and also if he continues to grow and improve the offensive side of his game.

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
I am really curious to see how our D plays out this year.  I know everyone likes to think they have the answer but really, we have no idea. 

Ideally, we toss Komi and his $4.5M salary to the wind but that's just not happening (yet).

Should be really interesting to see the top 6 on opening night.

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »

I don't disagree with you, but guys like Robyn Regehr (3 times), Brooks Orpik, Scott Hannan (5 times), Hal Gill (twice), etc all scored 20+ points but never reached 30, and they are all defensive crease clearing presence.

Sometimes those points are mostly a product of ice time.

We obviously don't know about Schenn yet but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed as a 20-25 point guy but really become one of the elite defensive d-men in the league.

Online Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »
I am really curious to see how our D plays out this year.  I know everyone likes to think they have the answer but really, we have no idea. 

Ideally, we toss Komi and his $4.5M salary to the wind but that's just not happening (yet).

The whole lineup will be interesting imo!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »
I have a hunch Caputi will get a spot this year.

Online Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2011, 12:56:37 PM »
I have a hunch Caputi will get a spot this year.

On the fourth line? Sounds like a waste to me.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

I think the D is by far the most difficult to predict. They could be better, worse or about the same. I'm struggling a little with how they'll fit together. 

I think the forwards (Lupul for a full season, Connolly, Lomdardi for part of the season + a year of development from the kids like Kadri & Frattin) and goaltending (Reimer > Giguere) have improved over last season.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
I don't disagree with you, but guys like Robyn Regehr (3 times), Brooks Orpik, Scott Hannan (5 times), Hal Gill (twice), etc all scored 20+ points but never reached 30, and they are all defensive crease clearing presence.

Sometimes those points are mostly a product of ice time.

We obviously don't know about Schenn yet but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed as a 20-25 point guy but really become one of the elite defensive d-men in the league.

Sometimes, yeah, it's a function of ice time, but, I think we've all seen enough of Schenn to be able to say that there's more to it for him than that. He's shown some very good offensive instincts in his time in Blue & White - especially last season.

Also, in comparison to the other guys you mentioned, Schenn cracked 20 points in his 3rd full season and had a career low of 14 at the time. It took Regehr 6 years, with a career low of 4. Orpik 6 years with a career low of 6. Gill 5 years with a career low of 6. To me, that says Schenn is further along the development path offensively than any of these guys or has more offensive skills in his repertoire. Hannan is the closest comparable in that he cracked 20 in his 3rd full season as will (though 5th season getting NHL games in) and his lowest full season to that point was also 14, but, at the same time, he was 23/24 when he accomplished it, whereas Schenn was 21/22. I don't think Schenn is going to be an offensive stud by any means, but, I can definitely see him in a similar mould to someone like Seidenberg, who is still a defence first guy, but, has been producing in the 25-35 point range for a few seasons now.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan