Author Topic: Leafs @ Canucks - Apr. 18th, 7:00pm - SN, Fan 590  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Canucks - Apr. 18th, 7:00pm - SN, Fan 590
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2021, 02:59:42 PM »

Maybe not, but that's why I propose trying it now to see if it might work. If he's on a line with two grinder types (Tavares and Foligno) it might open up room for him to make good use of his skillset.

When does/did Robertson burn the slide year off his contract?  10 games this year?
All The Best
Dan

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2021, 03:02:31 PM »

Maybe not, but that's why I propose trying it now to see if it might work. If he's on a line with two grinder types (Tavares and Foligno) it might open up room for him to make good use of his skillset.

When does/did Robertson burn the slide year off his contract?  10 games this year?

NVM, I just found that it has been pro-rated this year to 7 games and Robertson has played in 5 already meaning he has 2 left
All The Best
Dan

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2021, 03:27:15 PM »
That might be reading a little too much into it. You could also say if it was something super serious and he was out long-term it'd be a pretty quick diagnosis. I guess the good news is he was apparently in good spirits after the game last night.

I'm fully expecting him to miss some time, but there's 4 weeks until playoffs still so hopefully it's not much longer than that.

Also, the fact that he was around the team and not going for further medical evaluation also feels like a good sign. If they felt it was more serious, I have to imagine they would have needed to send him to a hospital to get the right tests completed, etc.
They may have done that already.

I doubt they would have had time to get him to the hospital, run all the tests they needed to, and get him back to the team soon enough for them to be able to relay those sentiments to media virtually immediately after the game ended - if they even would have sent him back to the arena. It's more likely that he would have been sent straight back to the hotel afterwards.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2021, 03:35:58 PM »
I think that'd be fun, but the issue of 71-91-11 is less a lack of finish and more a lack of transition play: Hyman would be the best carrier, Tavares likes to skate into the densest congregation of players on the ice. There is otherwise a significant positive alignment in their preference and capabilities in small-ice play. Once the puck gets into the zone and down low, it might just stay there until it's in the net. Getting it there will be the trick (dump and chase).

It would absolutely be a dump and chase line, and while that might not be the most optimal zone entry for most lines when you have the teams top two forecheckers (maybe two of the leagues best overall) a lot of pucks would get retrieved.

Nothing wrong with have attacking lines with completely different styles (same thing with PP). Play predictably to execute better for your teammates, but set it up in a way that makes it harder for the defense to figure you out.

I kind of want a stretch pass line (15) and a dump line (91) and a hold it for openings line (34).

well well well
#BeBlessed

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2021, 04:01:58 PM »

NVM, I just found that it has been pro-rated this year to 7 games and Robertson has played in 5 already meaning he has 2 left

Does that mean he is allowed to play 7 and when he plays in that 8th game, he burns the year?

I  know all this stuff matters to some degree, but if the Leafs consider this a "go for it" year, I don't think they can worry too much about that. If Robertson makes the team better (which I think is yet to be determined), they should just play him in a meaningful role. Not 5 minutes a night on the 4th line.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »

I think the Marner/Matthews/Nylander extensions probably taught us that caring about burning a year off of an ELC is probably secondary to just doing what's right for the team and player.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
Really hope the league takes into consideration that Edler was tired at the end of that shift and goes easy on him.

This was mostly a joke... but they literally did... "instead fatigued after a long shift Edler only adjusts his right leg..."

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2021, 04:14:17 PM »
Really hope the league takes into consideration that Edler was tired at the end of that shift and goes easy on him.

This was mostly a joke... but they literally did... "instead fatigued after a long shift Edler only adjusts his right leg..."

I was once acquitted of murder because I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before.

These things matter.

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
Ok. Now the suspension was announced can we get to the injury update already?
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2021, 04:15:42 PM »

He's also not technically a repeat offender by the NHL's definition, despite 2 previous NHL suspensions (both in 2013, both for bad hits but not knee-on-knee) and a suspension at the 2014 Olympics (this time, for a knee-on-knee hit).
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 19, 2021, 04:26:18 PM »
Probably tomorrow according to Keefe.

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2021, 05:00:17 PM »

I can’t help think that the injury update is somehow related to the suspension . Like wait until he’s suspended before we announce Hyman is ok. I hope I’m right about that anyways :)
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2021, 10:54:56 AM »

I can’t help think that the injury update is somehow related to the suspension . Like wait until he’s suspended before we announce Hyman is ok. I hope I’m right about that anyways :)

That's exactly why I was thinking the injury announcement was delayed...
All The Best
Dan

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2021, 11:04:30 AM »

Does that mean he is allowed to play 7 and when he plays in that 8th game, he burns the year?

I  know all this stuff matters to some degree, but if the Leafs consider this a "go for it" year, I don't think they can worry too much about that. If Robertson makes the team better (which I think is yet to be determined), they should just play him in a meaningful role. Not 5 minutes a night on the 4th line.

Previously it would mean that once he hit's his 7th game he burns a year hence in a typical season the media makes a big deal about a rookie playing his 10th game but I honestly don't know.

I agree with you though that if he is needed as a difference maker than play him.  If he is trying to acclimate to playing with men instead of teenagers then I would send him down to the AHL and let Engvall play instead.

If he doesn't burn a full season then his ELC ending would coincide with contracts ending for Matthews, Nylander, Muzzin and Brodie.  That's why I would prefer to send Robertson down and play Engvall, Petan, Agostino, etc instead.  Next season he could be put in and out of the lineup ad nauseum and it would affect anything team-wise with the salaries or contracts. 
All The Best
Dan