Author Topic: Official Armchair GM Thread 2014-2015 Leafs  (Read 153923 times)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Official Armchair GM Thread 2014-2015 Leafs
« Reply #660 on: February 10, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »
Yes, that slogan courtesy of Paul Masson, makers of plonk a pink zin in a carafe with a tin snap top ($4.95 at Wineomart).   :P

Sometimes, the worst products have the most poignant and memorable ads. ;D Honestly, how many people know the saying compared to how many people know the actual product? Or even that it comes from an ad campaign?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline wnc096

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 10, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »
COME ON GUYS START TRADING PEOPLE ALREADY AAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
 >:( >:(
endless speculation is getting to me

Patience. As an old ad campaign used to say, sell no wine before its time. When the deals being presented are right, then they'll be made. No sooner than that.

Yes, that slogan courtesy of Paul Masson, makers of plonk a pink zin in a carafe with a tin snap top ($4.95 at Wineomart).   :P

I really hope they get moving.  There are only so many picks/prospects up for grab before the deadline, and I don't want to see Nonis sit idle while opportunities pass him by.  I realize that may not be rational, but I'm dealing from things from a Leaf-fan perspective; one where we miss out on everything.

With the Leafs luck, Nonis will wait and hold out till the last minute and get burned with a Vanek-esque return.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 10, 2015, 06:39:20 PM »
TSN1050Radio: .@TSNBobMcKenzie says on @TSN1050Radio that the asking price for Cody Franson is apparently a 1st Round Pick and a prospect. #Leafs

Wouldn't be surprised if they get it. RHD who can move the puck relatively well and produce on the PP are always in high demand.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 10, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
Still think a 1st for Franson is a pipe dream and I'm more than interested to see what kind of returns Nonis is able to get come the deadline.
So if he's getting the green light to blow it up does that mean he won't be fired this summer after all?

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
Still think a 1st for Franson is a pipe dream and I'm more than interested to see what kind of returns Nonis is able to get come the deadline.
So if he's getting the green light to blow it up does that mean he won't be fired this summer after all?

I don't think he has green light to blow it up. He has the green light to make the straightforward, obvious moves of shipping out pending UFAs for picks/prospects. Unless we see the Leafs make a major move before he's let go, I'll continue to expect to see him replaced before the draft.

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 10, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »

I don't think he has green light to blow it up. He has the green light to make the straightforward, obvious moves of shipping out pending UFAs for picks/prospects. Unless we see the Leafs make a major move before he's let go, I'll continue to expect to see him replaced before the draft.

Did he not put price tags on the whole core minus JVR?
What happens if no offers come close to what he's asking for?

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 10, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »

Not on his own, he didn't. And, really, a lot of it is the media's creation, too.

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 10, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »

Not on his own, he didn't. And, really, a lot of it is the media's creation, too.

I don't think the media has ever been this out of hand before...they've all basically gone into Eklund mode

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 10, 2015, 09:15:17 PM »

I'd think at this point, everyone on the team is available and has a price tag except for Rielly. He's the only player I wouldn't want to see traded. The rest can all go if the price is right.

Online Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 10, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »
Still think a 1st for Franson is a pipe dream

You're either greatly overvaluing 1st rounders and/or undervaluing Franson.  Trade value is about supply and demand.  Franson has 94 points since 2012.  That's 4 more than Doughty, 2 less than Green, and only 9 less than Suter.  He's big, he's only 27, he's a right-handed shot, he plays a lot of minutes, he excels on the power play, he's durable, and he's top 20 in defensemen scoring.  He's been 11th, 20th and 9th in PP scoring in defensemen the past 3 seasons including this one, and he's a UFA after this season.

Please let us know the long list of defensemen available via trade to Cup-aspiring teams at the trade deadline that have anything comparable to that kind of resume.  When you fail to do that, and when you recognize the number of teams looking to improve their playoff prospects, you'll know why Franson can more than reasonably fetch a 1st rounder.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 10, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »
Still think a 1st for Franson is a pipe dream

You're either greatly overvaluing 1st rounders and/or undervaluing Franson.  Trade value is about supply and demand.  Franson has 94 points since 2012.  That's 4 more than Doughty, 2 less than Green, and only 9 less than Suter.  He's big, he's only 27, he's a right-handed shot, he plays a lot of minutes, he excels on the power play, he's durable, and he's top 20 in defensemen scoring.  He's been 11th, 20th and 9th in PP scoring in defensemen the past 3 seasons including this one, and he's a UFA after this season.

Please let us know the long list of defensemen available via trade to Cup-aspiring teams at the trade deadline that have anything comparable to that kind of resume.  When you fail to do that, and when you recognize the number of teams looking to improve their playoff prospects, you'll know why Franson can more than reasonably fetch a 1st rounder.

Now there's the shrimp from your avatar!  ;)
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Gerald The Duck

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 11, 2015, 02:12:56 AM »
Could Anaheim also be a good trade destination for Franson? Their PP is middle of the pack and besides Vatanen they don't have a great RH shot (Fowler, Lindholm, Beauchemin all LH). I'm haven't really seen Anaheim play much so I'm just going by on paper here but Franson could fit well on PP2 potentially.

Tampa could also potentially be a good fit for similar reasons.

Offline wnc096

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 11, 2015, 02:19:32 AM »
Could Anaheim also be a good trade destination for Franson? Their PP is middle of the pack and besides Vatanen they don't have a great RH shot (Fowler, Lindholm, Beauchemin all LH). I'm haven't really seen Anaheim play much so I'm just going by on paper here but Franson could fit well on PP2 potentially.

Tampa could also potentially be a good fit for similar reasons.

Tampa and Anaheim were the two teams I could see Franson go to.  Both have a lot of young players....Tampa has 2 1st round picks this year.  Could be only way you get a 1st for Franson

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 11, 2015, 08:12:17 AM »
Two things I think everyone is overlooking too much with Franson:
a) he's pending UFA looking for a significant pay increase on a long term deal
b) defensively speaking he has been a big part of a blue-line in Toronto that has been a disaster 

I'll ask you guys this - would you be ok with Nonis giving up a 1st round pick for 2 months plus of Franson? 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 11, 2015, 08:35:40 AM »
Two things I think everyone is overlooking too much with Franson:
a) he's pending UFA looking for a significant pay increase on a long term deal
b) defensively speaking he has been a big part of a blue-line in Toronto that has been a disaster 

I'll ask you guys this - would you be ok with Nonis giving up a 1st round pick for 2 months plus of Franson? 

Come on, that's not a fair question for a Leafs fan to answer. We're not a potential Stanley Cup contender who thinks they might be an offensive RH defenceman away from winning it all.

The last two Franson-type defencemen (top offensive guy on an expiring contract) that I can find that were traded at the deadline were Kaberle in 2011 and Brian Campbell in 2008. Kaberle brought back a 1st and Joe Colborne, Campbell brought back a 1st and Steve Bernier. Colborne as we all know was a 21-year old former 1st round pick forward with potential. Bernier was a former 1st round pick but by the time of the trade it was apparent he wasn't going to reach his full potential but he was still a young, contributing bottom-6 player. The fact that there's only two examples of top offensive defencemen being traded at the deadline in 6 years should show how valuable they are since they don't become available often.

The fact that they're asking for a 1st rounder and a prospect shouldn't be too surprising. And considering teams constantly overpay for talent at the deadline it won't be too surprising if they get it or close to it either.