Maple Leafs News and Views > Main Leafs Hockey Talk

F1: The Importance of Forechecking

<< < (2/4) > >>

OldTimeHockey:
It does take a certain type of player to make a really good F1 option.

All 3 players should be rotating roles based on who's first in, but when a player like Hyman is the F1 the results will generally be better. We know that Marner isn't going to control a player and body them off the puck and we don't want Matthews banging and crashing any more than he already does. Tavares could be an ok F1 but he's a little slow for the role. Nylander falls in with Marner/Matthews.

Attack angles are just as important as the hustle. You not only want to separate the defender from the puck, you want to control where they can go with the puck. Take away their options, except the option that works best for your F2. Your F2 has to recognize which way you are directing the play and react.

My last note, F1 should not chase behind the net. If the puck switches sides, F1 responsibilities switch sides. If the D carries the puck behind the net on the original zone entry, F1 should be choosing the shortest route and angling the player deeper into the corner giving them a single choice of feeding the puck up the walls...which in turn locks their winger against the boards.

herman:
Since we have a lot of smol boys in the system, it kind of makes even more sense that Dr. Wickenheiser and Goyette are working the dev group.

https://tjmanastersky.com/2021/05/10/learning-from-womens-ice-hockey/

--- Quote ---The rules of a game dictate constraints and affordances. In women’s ice-hockey, body checking is a minor penalty and therefore the players are constrained to defend without it.

However, they are afforded the opportunity to develop critical defending skills such as using the stick effectively, taking away space with angling, and getting above the puck when re-loading.
--- End quote ---

It's a playstyle with more longevity to it.

Frank E:

--- Quote from: herman on August 31, 2021, 11:16:55 AM ---Since we have a lot of smol boys in the system, it kind of makes even more sense that Dr. Wickenheiser and Goyette are working the dev group.

--- Quote ---The rules of a game dictate constraints and affordances. In women’s ice-hockey, body checking is a minor penalty and therefore the players are constrained to defend without it.

However, they are afforded the opportunity to develop critical defending skills such as using the stick effectively, taking away space with angling, and getting above the puck when re-loading.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's a playstyle that is a lot less fun to watch though.

princedpw:

--- Quote from: OldTimeHockey on August 31, 2021, 07:53:47 AM ---It does take a certain type of player to make a really good F1 option.

All 3 players should be rotating roles based on who's first in, but when a player like Hyman is the F1 the results will generally be better. We know that Marner isn't going to control a player and body them off the puck and we don't want Matthews banging and crashing any more than he already does. Tavares could be an ok F1 but he's a little slow for the role. Nylander falls in with Marner/Matthews.

Attack angles are just as important as the hustle. You not only want to separate the defender from the puck, you want to control where they can go with the puck. Take away their options, except the option that works best for your F2. Your F2 has to recognize which way you are directing the play and react.

My last note, F1 should not chase behind the net. If the puck switches sides, F1 responsibilities switch sides. If the D carries the puck behind the net on the original zone entry, F1 should be choosing the shortest route and angling the player deeper into the corner giving them a single choice of feeding the puck up the walls...which in turn locks their winger against the boards.

--- End quote ---

Love this

OldTimeHockey:

--- Quote from: Frank E on August 31, 2021, 11:56:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: herman on August 31, 2021, 11:16:55 AM ---Since we have a lot of smol boys in the system, it kind of makes even more sense that Dr. Wickenheiser and Goyette are working the dev group.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's a playstyle that is a lot less fun to watch though.

--- End quote ---

I would have agreed with you a year or two ago, but I don't think it's that much more entertaining to watch a game with hitting as opposed to one without. I see a transition happening in boys hockey as well towards a game more similar to the women's game. I'm bias (coach female hockey and have a female hockey player) but I think it's actually a good thing. I'd love to see a game of Connor McDavid's skating around when the head on collision risk is removed. I don't know that I'd completely eliminate the checking, but I think I'd look to remove opposite directional hitting. Meaning, I have no problem if it's a hit that takes place between two players skating in the same direction(angling out a player), but I'd remove opposite directional hits(Open Ice hits, head on collisions, charges....).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version