Maple Leafs News and Views > Main Leafs Hockey Talk

F1: The Importance of Forechecking

<< < (4/4)

Nik:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on August 31, 2021, 02:38:28 PM ---I don't want to see star players dragged down in a game that diminishes what they can do. I want it to be as difficult as reasonably possible to shut them down. I want more highlight reel plays.

--- End quote ---

Although I guess you could wonder if defending well emphasizes smart positional play instead of the body work that often takes defenders out of position you wouldn't see fewer big highlight plays.

OldTimeHockey:

--- Quote from: Nik on August 31, 2021, 03:04:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: bustaheims on August 31, 2021, 02:38:28 PM ---I don't want to see star players dragged down in a game that diminishes what they can do. I want it to be as difficult as reasonably possible to shut them down. I want more highlight reel plays.

--- End quote ---

Although I guess you could wonder if defending well emphasizes smart positional play instead of the body work that often takes defenders out of position you wouldn't see fewer big highlight plays.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I guess that's one way to look at it. Girls/Womens hockey is generally a lower scoring game when two equal teams face off. I've always attributed it to a lack of creativity(a product of coaching as well as girls being afraid of making mistakes).

herman:
Another look at Marie-Philip Poulin's golden goal 🥇#WomensWorlds pic.twitter.com/koJaHTUezP— Shayna (@hayyyshayyy) September 1, 2021
--- End quote ---

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Nik on August 31, 2021, 03:04:37 PM ---Although I guess you could wonder if defending well emphasizes smart positional play instead of the body work that often takes defenders out of position you wouldn't see fewer big highlight plays.

--- End quote ---

Maybe, but if you really crack down on the obstruction (again . . . this league is always going around in circles), guys with speed will still be able to make defencemen look silly. Take away a lot of the stick work and other stuff and really emphasis positional play, and I think we see more successful dekes, fakes, etc.  Straight-line type players will struggle some, but the really high end skill guys will do well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version