Maple Leafs News and Views > Main Leafs Hockey Talk

F1: The Importance of Forechecking

<< < (3/4) > >>

Nik:

Yeah, I think you have to factor in the actual health effects on players when talking about the entertainment value of your various playstyles. The game is at its best when the best players are actually on the ice.

OldTimeHockey:

--- Quote from: Nik on August 31, 2021, 12:58:52 PM ---
Yeah, I think you have to factor in the actual health effects on players when talking about the entertainment value of your various playstyles. The game is at its best when the best players are actually on the ice.

--- End quote ---

Yes, Eric Lindros is the first player to come to mind.
He played a game in the OHL where he was the biggest boy on the ice. In fact, he was a man on the ice against boys. When he got to the NHL, he was with players of equal size and more strength and those open ice hits absolutely destroyed what could have been an absolutely incredible career which robbed the entertainment value of him being on the ice.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Nik on August 31, 2021, 12:58:52 PM ---Yeah, I think you have to factor in the actual health effects on players when talking about the entertainment value of your various playstyles. The game is at its best when the best players are actually on the ice.

--- End quote ---

Yup. When I watch hockey, I want to see the best players in the world doing things that only the best players in the world can do.

OldTimeHockey:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on August 31, 2021, 01:35:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nik on August 31, 2021, 12:58:52 PM ---Yeah, I think you have to factor in the actual health effects on players when talking about the entertainment value of your various playstyles. The game is at its best when the best players are actually on the ice.

--- End quote ---

Yup. When I watch hockey, I want to see the best players in the world doing things that only the best players in the world can do.

--- End quote ---

I'm all for rough, grinding hockey. The women's game has a roughness to it. There's corner battles. There's still animosity between the players. But seeing a Poulin or Knight create plays is the real entertainment. Now imagine McDavid or Marner(Or Nylander) with the same freedom.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: OldTimeHockey on August 31, 2021, 02:03:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: bustaheims on August 31, 2021, 01:35:02 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I'm all for rough, grinding hockey. The women's game has a roughness to it. There's corner battles. There's still animosity between the players. But seeing a Poulin or Knight create plays is the real entertainment. Now imagine McDavid or Marner(Or Nylander) with the same freedom.

--- End quote ---

Sure. I also enjoy the physical element of the game. That's never going away completely. I just want the defining element to be skill - whether it's offensive or defensive, doesn't matter - not big hits, clutching and grabbing, etc. Anything that slows the game down or puts players at risk can and should be minimized. I don't want to see star players dragged down in a game that diminishes what they can do. I want it to be as difficult as reasonably possible to shut them down. I want more highlight reel plays.

Basically, I want whatever it was the Habs did in the playoffs last year to go bye-bye. It killed the entertainment value of the game by neutering the best players.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version