Other Hockey News & Views > General NHL News & Views

Seattle Expansion Draft

(1/36) > >>

CarltonTheBear:
This means they can protect Anton Khudobin, while Jake Oettinger is exempt. Not sure if we're ever getting a "healthy Ben Bishop" again, and he has two years left at $4.917M AAV. Interesting long-shot option for the Kraken.— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) July 15, 2021
--- End quote ---

Woah, feel like this could be pretty massive. Bishop missed all of last season with an injury but had a .920 Sv% in 19/20 and a 0.934 Sv% in 18/19 when he finished 2nd in Vezina voting. Even if he doesn't get back to those numbers as long as he can play I think this is a very good bet for Seattle to make. His contract isn't even really that bad, especially for a team with a blank slate.

L K:

--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 15, 2021, 12:58:58 PM ---This means they can protect Anton Khudobin, while Jake Oettinger is exempt. Not sure if we're ever getting a "healthy Ben Bishop" again, and he has two years left at $4.917M AAV. Interesting long-shot option for the Kraken.— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) July 15, 2021
--- End quote ---

Woah, feel like this could be pretty massive. Bishop missed all of last season with an injury but had a .920 Sv% in 19/20 and a 0.934 Sv% in 18/19 when he finished 2nd in Vezina voting. Even if he doesn't get back to those numbers as long as he can play I think this is a very good bet for Seattle to make. His contract isn't even really that bad, especially for a team with a blank slate.

--- End quote ---

Take Jake Allen from Montreal and that's a pretty solid 1-2 goaltending tandem.

CarltonTheBear:

--- Quote from: L K on July 15, 2021, 01:03:01 PM ---Take Jake Allen from Montreal and that's a pretty solid 1-2 goaltending tandem.

--- End quote ---

I think they should aim higher than Allen. I'd go Bishop and try to sign Driedger. Vanecek in Washington will also likely be exposed if they want to go with a cheaper/younger option.

Nik:

That's 100% a risk I'd take if I was trying to emulate Vegas and their instant competitiveness. I'm still not sure that's the smartest long term strategy though.

L K:

--- Quote from: Nik on July 15, 2021, 01:08:49 PM ---
That's 100% a risk I'd take if I was trying to emulate Vegas and their instant competitiveness. I'm still not sure that's the smartest long term strategy though.

--- End quote ---

I'm not in tune with the fan excitement of the Kraken in Seattle.  I think Vegas benefitted from being good right away to build up the appeal of hockey in what is otherwise a non-traditional hockey environment.  Seattle I am assuming is going to have to steal fans away from Vancouver right now and the Canucks aren't really looking like they will be goodfor the next couple of years.  Maybe being competitive early on is a good strategy for building up a core fanbase even if it does somewhat limit their ability to be competitive long-term.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version