Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 81130 times)

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #1755 on: September 13, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
I have a feeling its going to be done by Monday,  Mitch read the letter and agrees.  ;)

We need spotters at the airport to see if he's getting on a flight for Newfoundland

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: September 13, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
I'm personally tired of listening to it all. All the boards, TV and internet.

I've seen a lot of people say something like this. It is literally the easiest thing in the world not to follow a story like this. Change the channel. Put on a good album. Read a biography of Winston Churchill.

Getting frustrated with this story is a choice to make. As Deebo said yesterday most Leafs fans don't even care until the season starts.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1756 on: September 13, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: September 13, 2019, 02:05:12 PM »
3 year Marner deal coming up.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: September 13, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
3 year Marner deal coming up.
I got this gut feeling like electricity in the air that something is going to happen and real soon. not sure if it is Mitch or something in my life but it is tangible that is for sure.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: September 13, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
I have a feeling its going to be done by Monday,  Mitch read the letter and agrees.  ;)

Highlander, do you have a backdoor channel to Mitch's bedroom we don't know about?

Offline .

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 13, 2019, 02:59:09 PM »
From the pre-game and post-game dressing room chitchat from my beer league team: 10% thought he should sign whatever was offered, or else he wasn't a team guy, 20% wanted to see him to take MLSE to the cleaners due to the ticket and concession prices, and everyone else was most interested in the fact that you could now order beer to the dressing room at Ice Sports locations.

So in summary, I think the overinvested media and some webboard addicts isn't too representative of the fanbase.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 13, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »

Highlander, do you have a backdoor channel to Mitch's bedroom we don't know about?
No, I will take the keys to his condo whilst on the road or playing in Switzerland however.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline x.jr.benchwarmer

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 13, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
Thanks for your opinion, I don't expect you to not give yours so I won't withhold mine. Cheers.

One of my favourite places in the world is Speaker's Corner in London's Hyde Park. If you don't know it, it's a small corner of the park where anyone who wants can come, make themselves a little speaking stool and expound on whatever suits them. No matter what. Last time I was there I saw an African man talking about the lingering effects of Colonialism and a Bulgarian immigrant talking about Eastern European trade policy. It's been around for the better part of 200 years and it's featured such speakers as Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin and Marcus Garvey. Everyone is welcome and all opinions are brought forth to the public square.

Thing is though, there is back and forth. The pesky thing about the public square is that, sometimes, the public answers back.

What the Greeks done wrought, huh?

I am visiting in London now and I was amazed at the passion of the speakers in Speakers Corner.  One guy brought his own ladder (instead of the small stool ) and he yelled for hours it seemed.

I was thinking of getting up and talking about how the Paul Marner approach to contract negotiations was the right way to approach things but I don’t think anyone in the UK was going to engage in a philosophical discussion about it.  Now if Darren Dreger was visiting at Hyde Park he would certainly have responded....

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 13, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2019/09/13/report-at-last-progress-in-mitch-marner-contract-talks/

Apparently fan negativity is getting to Mitch, according to Dreger, who is the primary source of all the fan negativity.

Say what you will of Ferris' tactics, last offseason, everyone would've been livid about 8M, and now it's a sigh of relief if it comes in at 9M.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: September 13, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
Dreger reports: $10.16 x 5 years.
Not far off from my fake Dreger tweet in May.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 13, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »
Dreger reports: $10.16 x 5 years.
Not far off from my fake Dreger tweet in May.

$10.516 and you have a deal.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 13, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
I'm personally tired of listening to it all. All the boards, TV and internet.

I've seen a lot of people say something like this. It is literally the easiest thing in the world not to follow a story like this. Change the channel. Put on a good album. Read a biography of Winston Churchill.

Getting frustrated with this story is a choice to make. As Deebo said yesterday most Leafs fans don't even care until the season starts.

I don't know how true that is.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 13, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
I haven’t seen this kind of analysis before:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/comparing-mitch-marners-playmaking-rfa-class-nhls-best/

Kind of makes you think the leafs offers are bigger overpays than I expected. Of course, there are other ways to slice the data.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 13, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »
I haven’t seen this kind of analysis before:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/comparing-mitch-marners-playmaking-rfa-class-nhls-best/

Berkshire works for Sportlogiq, the company responsible for collecting these microstats (via cameras and software), so pretty much all of his articles with SportsNet are this kind of analysis.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: September 13, 2019, 04:00:13 PM »
I don't know how true that is.

I'm not sure which of those things you're referring to, most Leafs fans not caring or it being easy to avoid Marner news, but on the latter I can assure you it is. I'd like to think I qualify as a Leafs fan and I don't listen to Sports Talk Radio or watch much TSN or Sportsnet outside of games. I don't follow many hockey people on twitter but if I wanted to, I could mute the word Marner.

Honestly, outside of reading this board Marner stuff doesn't really find me.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle