Author Topic: Useless Thread  (Read 193245 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Useless Thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 08, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: June 08, 2021, 12:22:36 PM »

The Bloc and Conservatives sure look good there.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: June 08, 2021, 01:48:19 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: June 09, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Wow, thanks for sharing and its so true.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: June 10, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »

I don't really want to get into the politics of it all but I'm someone who went to Ryerson and before all the hubbub I couldn't have told you whether or not the school was named after anyone. So it seems to me like not having a statue of the guy isn't really a big deal.

I know we often like to adopt the culture wars going on down south but I think people complaining about "erasing Canadian history" should probably first reckon with the fact that none of us know any of it outside of Heritage Minutes anyway.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: June 10, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »
What I find kind of interesting is that, in the U.S. the culture wars around statues has largely centered around pulling down those that A) are built in the image of racist traitors to the Union who are best known for trying to divide the country and B) were raised largely as part of support for the Jim Crow era or as a response to the civil rights movement rather than to actually honour the individuals; whereas here, we're talking about statues to honour those who played a role in building the country that were also horribly racist.

All are bad, obviously, but it's just an interesting contrast. People like Ryerson will be remembered for both their acts building and division, whereas those like General Lee will really only be remembered for their acts of division (which, I suppose, will be judged positively by some and negatively by others).
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: June 10, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
What I find kind of interesting is that, in the U.S. the culture wars around statues has largely centered around pulling down those that A) are built in the image of racist traitors to the Union who are best known for trying to divide the country and B) were raised largely as part of support for the Jim Crow era or as a response to the civil rights movement rather than to actually honour the individuals; whereas here, we're talking about statues to honour those who played a role in building the country that were also horribly racist.

All are bad, obviously, but it's just an interesting contrast. People like Ryerson will be remembered for both their acts building and division, whereas those like General Lee will really only be remembered for their acts of division (which, I suppose, will be judged positively by some and negatively by others).

I think you're right in the immediate sense but I do think things like the 1619 project in the States does also raise the broader question of how people like Washington and Jefferson et. al are looked at.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: June 10, 2021, 12:07:01 PM »
I think you're right in the immediate sense but I do think things like the 1619 project in the States does also raise the broader question of how people like Washington and Jefferson et. al are looked at.

Yeah. The U.S. is staring down a reckoning similar to what we're experiencing right now. We're just ahead of the curve this time.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: June 19, 2021, 07:07:34 PM »
The trailer for The Shrink Next Door is perfectly executed:

https://youtu.be/tcTTqbLmvI4
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: June 19, 2021, 07:30:12 PM »

I have to be honest, when I heard about the casting of this being Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell I was not expecting Will Ferrell to end up playing the short Jewish guy.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: June 20, 2021, 10:24:03 AM »

I have to be honest, when I heard about the casting of this being Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell I was not expecting Will Ferrell to end up playing the short Jewish guy.

Look for Ferrell to be typecast as short Jewish guys from now on.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: June 20, 2021, 11:41:09 AM »
Supposedly Will on the nice guy scale index ranks higher than Mr.Rogers himself, Tom Hanks.  Everyone loves him.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: June 20, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »
My favourite Will Farrell movie is Stranger Than Fiction and you should watch it if you haven't.
#BeBlessed

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: June 20, 2021, 08:55:11 PM »
My favourite Will Farrell movie is Stranger Than Fiction and you should watch it if you haven't.
Absolutely, very underrated movie.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: June 23, 2021, 04:24:33 PM »
Pretty much every story about John McAfee is wild, and his last one is no exception.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:26:26 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed