Author Topic: Round 3: Vegas Golden Knights vs. Montreal Canadiens  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3: Vegas Golden Knights vs. Montreal Canadiens
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2021, 11:50:25 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Umm... one of these isn't quite like the others...

They got some feedback and tried to massage it.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »
Yeah that's the big thing I can't get over. If a 86-point team can win the Cup then what's even the point of the regular season? I know playoffs can be fluky and every team needs some luck on their side to win once you get there but this just takes it to the extreme.

I see this being said a lot now.  If this is the case, then anoint the regular season winners as the true winners and have the playoffs as a separate tournament played for a different trophy.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2021, 11:55:11 AM »
I think what bugs me the most is that Montreal wouldn't have made the playoffs with standard divisional alignment, and there's a good chance they won't make the playoffs next season.

They're the 90/91 Minnesota North Stars.

Unless the league changes the format to 1 through 16 league wide, aren't there usually always going to be an anomaly or two making things wonky?  Two teams from one conference that missed would have made the playoffs had they been in the other conference.  It really doesn't bother me considering the setup.

Do agree that Montreal likely misses the playoffs next year when they're back in a division with Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Florida, with an up and coming Ottawa team too.

Offline wnc096

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2021, 11:59:28 AM »
Didn't the sens make a Cup final run, get very full of themselves, and subsequently hahahahaha

The year they went to the final they were a legit contender.  105 point team with star players like Spezza, Alfredsson, and Heatley.

This Canadiens team's success is baffling...outside of Price they have zero star power, but they can shut you down.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2021, 12:03:40 PM »
I think what bugs me the most is that Montreal wouldn't have made the playoffs with standard divisional alignment, and there's a good chance they won't make the playoffs next season.

Unless the league changes the format to 1 through 16 league wide, aren't there usually always going to be an anomaly or two making things wonky?  Two teams from one conference that missed would have made the playoffs had they been in the other conference.  It really doesn't bother me considering the setup.

Do agree that Montreal likely misses the playoffs next year when they're back in a division with Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Florida, with an up and coming Ottawa team too.
No, I think Montreal has discovered an identity, Cole Caufield has been a revelation and Suzuki and Koki are not far behind.  If Price can stay sharp next season and that towering D I think they will have a real good chance. They have a real killer instinct.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »
Didn't the sens make a Cup final run, get very full of themselves, and subsequently hahahahaha

The year they went to the final they were a legit contender.  105 point team with star players like Spezza, Alfredsson, and Heatley.

This Canadiens team's success is baffling...outside of Price they have zero star power, but they can shut you down.

I think I was thinking of 2017, rather than 2007. They made it to the Conference Final on Erik Karlsson's last leg.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2021, 12:09:22 PM »

No, I think Montreal has discovered an identity, Cole Caufield has been a revelation and Suzuki and Koki are not far behind.  If Price can stay sharp next season and that towering D I think they will have a real good chance. They have a real killer instinct.

My company brought Ryan Walter into talk to us about team work and leadership.  He mentioned how important it is for the teams to keep themselves accountable and to make sure that everyone is keeping everyones confidence up, and that he saw teams with lots of talent fail because the team just fractures.  He says that the 86 team he was on that won the cup was like that.  Roy came up, they started to play for one another and then they won the cup.  Kinda similar to what is happening here.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2021, 12:10:37 PM »

Their youngsters have certainly come into their own and have gained a lot of confidence as the playoffs have progressed.  They've all impressed me.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2021, 12:42:20 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Umm... one of these isn't quite like the others...

They got some feedback and tried to massage it.

Nailed it!
#BeBlessed

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2021, 12:43:08 PM »
lmao

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
#BeBlessed

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2021, 01:35:26 PM »
Danault is gonna get $$$PAID$$$ this offseason... and I wonder if Montreal is even the team who does it.

I just looked back at how he was acquired. Chicago dealt him at the deadline when he was 22 years old and had 32 NHL games under his belt to the Habs for Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann. This was the year after they won their last Cup and they ended up getting knocked out in the 1st round. Montreal also picked up a 2nd rounder that they used to select Romanov too. Not a bad haul for two meh UFAs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:39:48 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Bill_Berg_is_sad

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2021, 02:54:36 PM »
It's easy to shut star players down when you're allowed to hold one of their arms behind their back for them.

* shut not shit lol
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 03:21:20 PM by Bill_Berg_is_sad »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2021, 03:26:48 PM »
Danault is gonna get $$$PAID$$$ this offseason... and I wonder if Montreal is even the team who does it.

I just looked back at how he was acquired. Chicago dealt him at the deadline when he was 22 years old and had 32 NHL games under his belt to the Habs for Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann. This was the year after they won their last Cup and they ended up getting knocked out in the 1st round. Montreal also picked up a 2nd rounder that they used to select Romanov too. Not a bad haul for two meh UFAs.

That .950% when he's been on the ice is certainly helping him look good. Certainly raises the question as to whether he's been that effective or if Price is helping him look that much better. He's a good defensive player, but not as good as he's looked in these playoffs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 03:28:35 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2021, 03:37:02 PM »
Yeah that's the big thing I can't get over. If a 86-point team can win the Cup then what's even the point of the regular season? I know playoffs can be fluky and every team needs some luck on their side to win once you get there but this just takes it to the extreme.

Yeah. I also think it highlights a issue with the differing officiating standards. With regular season level officiating or stricter, they don't make it out of the first round. With the lapsed enforcement . . . it's no longer about which team is the most talented, has the most skill, whatever, when they should be what the league is looking to highlight in the playoffs. Let the stars be stars when the light shines the brightest.

I don't buy it.  I think this is sour grapes stuff.  Here's a list of guys at a point per game:

Jonathan Huberdeau
Nikita Kucherov
Nathan MacKinnon
David Pastrnak
Gabriel Landeskog
Mikko Rantanen
Leon Draisaitl
Evgeni Malkin
Brayden Point
Aleksander Barkov
William Nylander
Charlie McAvoy
Brad Marchand
Mark Scheifele
Sam Bennett
Connor McDavid
Cale Makar
Kris Letang
Sebastian Aho
Steven Stamkos

There's a lot of stars there making things happen still.

Yeah I don't buy the superstars getting held and hooked is why Montreal got through.
Matthews and Marner did not do enough to advance. That's all. They did not fight through the Montreal collapse to the net. That's on them, not the officiating. The officiating has been equally sh*tty for both teams in every game I've watched. If Toronto has the better team, they should have overcame that. They didn't.