Author Topic: Round 3: Vegas Golden Knights vs. Montreal Canadiens  (Read 2813 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3: Vegas Golden Knights vs. Montreal Canadiens
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2021, 07:12:24 AM »
Ugh
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2021, 07:30:24 AM »
I really have no problem with Montreal getting through. Nor do I have a problem with Hab fans ribbing me because I cheer for the Leafs. It's been an endless cycle the last 40 years of my life and it generally rolls off my back.

Personally I'd much rather the Canadiens win the cup than any of the teams left. It's not that I like the Habs. I just like them more than the Lightning and Islanders.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2021, 07:30:24 AM »

Offline 4EVRLEAFAN

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
If anything, though, this makes me feel a bit better about the Leafs.  They just had the misfortune of playing the cup final team in the first round, and (while this requires some serious Butterfly Effect rationale) if Tavares doesn't get injured in game #1, they're probably in this position right now.

Doesn't make me feel better at all, we were up 3-1, all we had to do was win one stinking game, one! And we choked.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2021, 09:11:26 AM »
I think some credit has to go to the Canadiens for how they play. Their deployment is extremely even so every forward is hella fresh and forechecks hard all over the ice, which gets them the puck in opportune moments (counter attacks). Price playing really well only helps that cause.

Danault's line (and Price) has shut down pretty much every other top line they've faced. By the underlying numbers, the Matthews' line did just about everything but score.

Toronto beat Montreal more times than Winnipeg and Vegas did combined. No Montreal player has more goals than William Nylander going into the Cup final. Hockey is weird.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:14:05 AM by herman »
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2021, 10:01:48 AM »
Good on Montreal.  Taking advantage of their opportunity and running with it. 

I'm in no need of feeling jealousy or hatred towards the Habs at this point.  Instead, I'm re-directing my frustration and annoyance squarely on the Leafs, who completely botched things up.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2021, 10:20:06 AM »
Toronto beat Montreal more times than Winnipeg and Vegas did combined. No Montreal player has more goals than William Nylander going into the Cup final. Hockey is weird.

Montreal was a bad bounce away from being eliminated in the 1st round. Obviously, that bounce didn't happen, but, still...

Nevertheless, when the Leafs and Habs face in the playoffs, the winner has always won the Cup. Montreal has put themselves in position to keep that going.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »
I think what bugs me the most is that Montreal wouldn't have made the playoffs with standard divisional alignment, and there's a good chance they won't make the playoffs next season.

They're the 90/91 Minnesota North Stars.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
I think what bugs me the most is that Montreal wouldn't have made the playoffs with standard divisional alignment, and there's a good chance they won't make the playoffs next season.

They're the 90/91 Minnesota North Stars.

Yeah that's the big thing I can't get over. If a 86-point team can win the Cup then what's even the point of the regular season? I know playoffs can be fluky and every team needs some luck on their side to win once you get there but this just takes it to the extreme.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »
Didn't the sens make a Cup final run, get very full of themselves, and subsequently hahahahaha
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2021, 10:56:59 AM »
Didn't the sens make a Cup final run, get very full of themselves, and subsequently hahahahaha

They only made the Conference final in a year where they weren't actually good.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »
Yeah that's the big thing I can't get over. If a 86-point team can win the Cup then what's even the point of the regular season? I know playoffs can be fluky and every team needs some luck on their side to win once you get there but this just takes it to the extreme.

Yeah. I also think it highlights a issue with the differing officiating standards. With regular season level officiating or stricter, they don't make it out of the first round. With the lapsed enforcement . . . it's no longer about which team is the most talented, has the most skill, whatever, when they should be what the league is looking to highlight in the playoffs. Let the stars be stars when the light shines the brightest.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2021, 11:13:38 AM »

I'm in no need of feeling jealousy or hatred towards the Habs at this point.  Instead, I'm re-directing my frustration and annoyance squarely on the Leafs, who completely botched things up.

I have a strong distaste for habs and habs fans, but all this conversation about how they don't deserve to be where they are is a little bananas to me.

They beat the Leafs, cleaned out the Jets, and now have beaten another very strong team in Vegas. 

Same with the Lou talk, they've made it to the second round two years in a row...maybe not good enough to win it all, but who knows!  Lou's result has been better than Dubas' over the past 2 years if we're talking about how far into the tournament they got.

Dubas has spent millions over the cap, performed cap acrobatics, leveraged all of MLSE $$ reasonably possible to acquire talent, and still the Leafs on-ice product doesn't show up when the season is on the line...2 years in a row now.

Congrats to the habs for finding a way to win.  It pisses me off, but I really don't think about hockey these days...I stopped watching 10 minutes into game 7 against the habs.  That fanbase though...they're insufferable...we're all going to hear about this run until the Leafs get to a final.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Umm... one of these isn't quite like the others...

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »

I have a strong distaste for habs and habs fans, but all this conversation about how they don't deserve to be where they are is a little bananas to me.

They beat the Leafs, cleaned out the Jets, and now have beaten another very strong team in Vegas. 

Same with the Lou talk, they've made it to the second round two years in a row...maybe not good enough to win it all, but who knows!  Lou's result has been better than Dubas' over the past 2 years if we're talking about how far into the tournament they got.

Dubas has spent millions over the cap, performed cap acrobatics, leveraged all of MLSE $$ reasonably possible to acquire talent, and still the Leafs on-ice product doesn't show up when the season is on the line...2 years in a row now.

Congrats to the habs for finding a way to win.  It pisses me off, but I really don't think about hockey these days...I stopped watching 10 minutes into game 7 against the habs.  That fanbase though...they're insufferable...we're all going to hear about this run until the Leafs get to a final.

Yeah, that's where I ended up.  It's not that I really have anything against the team, it's more the fan reaction.  But even there, it's hard to fault them.  The team has made it to the finals and they did by playing a team game committed to defence.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »

Yeah. I also think it highlights a issue with the differing officiating standards. With regular season level officiating or stricter, they don't make it out of the first round. With the lapsed enforcement . . . it's no longer about which team is the most talented, has the most skill, whatever, when they should be what the league is looking to highlight in the playoffs. Let the stars be stars when the light shines the brightest.

I don't buy it.  I think this is sour grapes stuff.  Here's a list of guys at a point per game:

Jonathan Huberdeau
Nikita Kucherov
Nathan MacKinnon
David Pastrnak
Gabriel Landeskog
Mikko Rantanen
Leon Draisaitl
Evgeni Malkin
Brayden Point
Aleksander Barkov
William Nylander
Charlie McAvoy
Brad Marchand
Mark Scheifele
Sam Bennett
Connor McDavid
Cale Makar
Kris Letang
Sebastian Aho
Steven Stamkos

There's a lot of stars there making things happen still.