Author Topic: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 4974 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
The Leafs have 3 assistant coaches on the team: Dave Hakstol (defence/PK), Manny Malhotra (forwards/PP), and Paul MacLean (eye in the sky). Friedman's report very clearly stated that a "couple" of the assistants had interview requests elsewhere.

My sorta baseless speculation is that another team is interviewing MacLean for a behind-the-bench role and the Leafs want to keep and put him in that role so they're giving one of Hakstol or Malhotra a chance to interview elsewhere instead of simply just firing them (similar to what happened with Jim Hiller).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:18:52 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 01:34:05 PM »
I think it's Hakstol or MacLean who's wanted. Hakstol was in charge of the Leafs D and turned them around from 26th to 6th best this past season. I don't see MacLean leaving though. From what I remember this is the kind of job he wanted. He doesn't always travel with the team and his son works for the Marlies.
Well if one leaves can we finally see Boudreau behind the bench? That would be nice.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 02:02:29 PM »
I think it's Hakstol or MacLean who's wanted. Hakstol was in charge of the Leafs D and turned them around from 26th to 6th best this past season. I don't see MacLean leaving though. From what I remember this is the kind of job he wanted. He doesn't always travel with the team and his son works for the Marlies.
Well if one leaves can we finally see Boudreau behind the bench? That would be nice.

To me, the defensive turnaround seemed to be largely personnel improvements (Brodie, Bogosian > Ceci, Barrie) and NZ forecheck structure commitment (1-1-3) that drove those positive changes. PK, where Hakstol's real fingerprints would show up, were... okay? Results were sewered at times by an injured Andersen, etc.

(similar to what happened with Jim Hiller).

Giving out glowing references and letting them land in a new spot (that they earned) is a very graceful way to change the mix. The tendency for the Leafs powerplay to go stale dates all the way back to that last Hiller season though, when Matthews was promoted to PP1 (naturally) and Marner went from keeping PKs guessing with 3 options to a singular focal point that produces 1 month of fire and could then be stymied for months/years thereafter.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »

I really do like the image of the Head Coach and General Manager watching a terrible power-play from the sidelines "Aw, man we put the wrong assistant coach in charge of the power play. I wish we could do something but, like, I guess we'll just have to wait for the off-season to fire him and try someone else."

Like, imagine a Head Coach in the NFL being like "What do you expect me to do about play-calling? That's the OC's job."
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 06:11:04 PM »
Has any team ever fired an assistant coach midseason without it being part of a head coach removal?
#BeBlessed

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 07:17:38 PM »
Has any team ever fired an assistant coach midseason without it being part of a head coach removal?

I think it was more that the Head Coach could put his input in and also the GM as well as part of a discussion, so it doesn't all just fall on the assistant coach as the problem.  I think the only thing that may happen when you hire a new assistant is that they come in with some fresh ideas, but at the same time, this is the NHL, so you need to constantly be evolving throughout the year.

That's actually an area I hope they explore next season.  Split the big four up.  Put one on every line.  Just try it here and there, so that come playoff time, if the combinations aren't working you can throw out some different looks to hopefully confuse the opposition and allow the players a little creativity to try things, rather than just trying the same thing over and over again.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 08:39:27 PM »

I really do like the image of the Head Coach and General Manager watching a terrible power-play from the sidelines "Aw, man we put the wrong assistant coach in charge of the power play. I wish we could do something but, like, I guess we'll just have to wait for the off-season to fire him and try someone else."

Like, imagine a Head Coach in the NFL being like "What do you expect me to do about play-calling? That's the OC's job."

Then... What's the point of the assistant whose job it is to run the pp? I mean I get what you're saying, and in a sense Keefe has to sign off on the PP rationale but if the idea is sold but ends up not being fruitful who is that on?

And is Kyle supposed to fire Malhotra midseason? I'm not entirely sure what you're implying.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 10:20:09 PM »
Then... What's the point of the assistant whose job it is to run the pp? I mean I get what you're saying, and in a sense Keefe has to sign off on the PP rationale but if the idea is sold but ends up not being fruitful who is that on?

I think to some extent any assistant coach is there to execute a strategy that ultimately comes from the head coach. But even if not, even if putting an assistant coach in charge means he's running the PP without input from above the Head Coach is still the manager of the Assistant Coach and should be able to have conversations about the fact that it's not working, what strategies are being taken to address why it's not working and making sure those new things are followed up on. 

And is Kyle supposed to fire Malhotra midseason? I'm not entirely sure what you're implying.

As per above, just like Keefe is Malhotra's boss, Dubas is Keefe's boss. I don't think the implication is that Keefe or Dubas needs to fire Malhotra but that just because Malhotra is in charge of running the power play that doesn't mean Keefe or Dubas can say "Well, that's got nothing to do with us."

Those guys are running the team. If things are going wrong, and not improving, they have a responsibility to make sure efforts are being made to fix them. If those efforts aren't successful then, yes, that ultimately filters back up if nobody in the organization can come up with something that would fix the issue.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 03:21:28 AM by Nik »
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 11:52:18 PM »
What Nik is saying.

Keefe is the head damn coach.  He's responsible for the stale loaf of a PP just like he's responsible for everything related to deployment.  It's just mind boggling that his staff couldn't get the PP fixed.  There were literally any number of internet pundits who had better ideas than they had.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2021, 03:46:30 PM »

Ultimately, it's the coach with the final call and ultimately it's his head that should be on the line for not making changes.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2021, 11:07:48 AM »

Top 4 "insiders" in the game all reveal the same information within the span of about a minute.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2021, 11:13:33 AM »
Please Please Please Please
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2021, 11:16:22 AM »
Please Please Please Please

I'm not going to lose any sleep over an assistant coach leaving but I also don't really agree that this is something to be excited about. Hakstol seemed to do a good job with the defence/PK (yes improved personnel helped too ... edit: but as we've seen with the PP having the personnel there isn't everything). Losing both him and Hyman could be a tough blow to our PK in particular.

If he does go I wonder if Malhotra gets moved to that side of things instead of handling the forwards/PP.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:21:02 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2021, 11:31:34 AM »
Official now:

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile